Box Office & Volunteer Manager
Box Office & Volunteer Manager
STATUS: Part Time – 20 hours per week
PAY RANGE: $22.00/hour
SUPERVISOR: Managing Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, July 10, 2022
ArtsWest’s mission is to produce artistic events that provoke conversation, incite the imagination, and use live theater as a powerful agent of change. ArtsWest values all employees not just for their staff roles, but for all that makes them who they are. We recognize that identity contains multitudes and is fluid, intersectional, and of vital importance.
Whether an employee fulfills an administrative, creative or public-facing role, we consider our entire team to be artists in their own right. We are a small, but nimble team that allows for collaboration and much self-directed work.
We seek to find individuals dedicated to the mission of this organization, who embrace anti-racist and anti-oppressive values, and who understand the privilege and responsibility that we have as theater producers. As an organization we hold dear our people and conduct ourselves accordingly, centering relational work over transactional processes.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Box Office and Volunteer Manager is the face of ArtsWest for our patrons and volunteers. As such, it is essential that this position provides exemplary customer service and great care in providing the best patron and volunteer experience possible, with clear focus on upholding ArtsWest’s values. The position oversees the day-to-day functioning of the Box Office and Volunteer Program including the supervision of front of house staff.
TYPICAL DUTIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assures a high-quality experience for ArtsWest’s patrons by supporting the professional operation of the front of house, including but not limited to selling tickets and subscriptions to patrons over the phone and in-person, resolving ticketing and patron seating issues, assessing and providing complimentary tickets, and other accommodations.
- Updates patron contact information in Patron Manager, uploads patron content to our patron databases.
- Prepares Patron Manager reports as needed, to support marketing, development, and management needs.
- Oversees the subscription process each season, which includes ticketing through Patron Manager, seating subscribers, tracking new orders, sending out tickets and vouchers through letters and being available by phone and email during box office hours to assists our patrons.
- Builds events and subscriptions in Patron Manager, keeping ticketing page on Patron Manager up to date.
- Supports subscriber loyalty through the preparation and dissemination of subscriber pre-show emails.
- Supports the Marketing Manager in the execution of surveys or other forms of subscriber reporting
- Assures that the Box Office, Gallery, concessions, and theater house are safe, clean and inviting through self-work and through the supervision of front of house staff.
- Prepares, updates, and disseminates front of house schedules for performances and events.
- Performs house manager and bartender duties as required.
- Assures that the front of house staff maintains up to date food handlers and bartender’s licenses.
- Ensures that the cash flow processes, and risk management systems are being adhered to by front of house staff.
- Tracks status of concessions supplies and assures that adequate stock is maintained, and the concessions room is neat and tidy.
- Oversees a volunteer program that is accessible, expedient, and meets legal requirements for both the volunteers and organization while maintaining AW values.
- Works with the Relationship Manager to support volunteer recruitment, training, and recognition.
- Works with all departments – production, marketing, and development to match volunteers with organizational needs.
- Collects, processes, and maintains volunteer registration forms, including conducting WA State background checks.
- Maintains volunteer tracking of hours.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND/OR KNOWLEDGE PREFERRED
- Excellent organization, communication, and customer service skills.
- A history of work or lived experience with customer service.
- A self-starter that sees opportunities to improve situations and can problem solve along the way.
- Needs to have a sense of humor and find joy in handling customer interactions.
- A self-directed, diplomatic individual who can stay on top of their own work, but also intersect with all members of the ArtsWest staff.
- Familiarity with Patron Manager or other donor/client-based software is preferred but not necessary. Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Outlook a plus.
- Experience working in a theater or performing arts organization and/or demonstrated affinity for the performing arts desired.
HOURS AND COMPENSATION
The Box Office & Volunteer Manager is a part-time position that is compensated at $22/hour and follows all City of Seattle and State employment laws regarding sick leave, FMLA leave, etc.
The majority of this work is done during evening hours and weekends. Our current box office hours are Thursdays and Fridays 4-7PM and Sundays 11AM-3PM. Hours in addition to these open public hours would be a mix of onsite and/or remote work checking emails, attending staff meetings, shopping for concessions. There are weeks where the hours may exceed 20 hour and those will be planned with the Box Office & Volunteer Manager’s availability in mind.
ArtsWest is located at 4711 California Ave. SW in the heart of West Seattle’s Alaska Junction. There is paid parking behind the building, with free parking available on residential streets within 4 blocks west and south of the theater. King County Metro has a stop for the C Line on the same block as the building.
APPLICATION DETAILS AND DEADLINE
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter in PDF format, that outlines how your related experience and skills qualifies you for the position, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted through Sunday, July 10, 2022. Applications will be reviewed after the posting closes. Interviews will be scheduled in late July with an estimated start date of Thursday, August 4, 2022.
As a historically white-led organization, ArtsWest is committed to operating as an anti-racist institution throughout all of its operations. You can read more about our anti-racist commitments here.
Our policies regarding hiring and employment at ArtsWest are designed to make it clear on all levels of the organization that we honor and value lived experience and the truths of the human beings and the energies and talents they bring to their work. A broad range of lived experiences are welcomed. We invite those whose goal is to create an environment of abundant and creative space, especially for those whose intersecting identities and voices have been historically excluded, marginalized, or erased.
For more information on our mission, values, hiring practices, production practices and more, please visit https://www.artswest.org/about/work-with-us/, and feel free to reach out to Laura Lee, Managing Director at email@example.com