THE CITY OF GIG HARBOR IS SEEKING A CITY ADMINISTRATOR
Annual Salary Range: $159,532 - $193,912
The City of Gig Harbor, located in Pierce County just to the north of Tacoma, sits along the western shores of Puget Sound and Gig Harbor Bay. Incorporated in 1946, the city covers 8.9 square miles and serves as the gateway to the beautiful Kitsap and Key Peninsulas. Gig Harbor has a rich history of commercial fishing, boat building, farms, mills, and ferries. It was named one of Smithsonian Magazines Top Five Small Towns for culture, heritage, and charm, making it a desirable place to live and a popular tourist destination.
Gig Harbor, with a population of 12,000 and a surrounding community of over 60,000, prides itself on its remarkable atmosphere, natural beauty, exceptional schools, many parks and beach areas, three main shopping districts and free waterfront museums.
Our waterfront offers many recreational activities including kayak, paddle board and boat rentals, romantic gondola rides, and year -round harbor boat tours. For entertainment the city offers concerts and movies in the park, a farmer's market, and the Maritime Parade and Festival with the traditional blessing of the commercial fishing fleet. The city also has a diverse selection of restaurants, local breweries and a local distillery, as well as 21 city parks within minutes of downtown. The community’s fishing village heritage is evident when visiting our area. The Harbor History Museum, Eddon Boat Building, Jerisich Dock, and the Gig Harbor Lighthouse are examples of the city’s rich maritime history. There are several golf courses minutes away from the city, in particular Chambers Bay, the first course in the Northwest to welcome the U.S. Open Championship. Recreational activities at Mount Rainier and Olympic National Parks, fishing, sailing, yachting, and human powered watercraft can be found on Puget Sound. Only a short two hours away, you can find Washington’s coastline, the famous San Juan Islands, as well as cross-country and downhill skiing. Seattle and all of its entertainment, recreational, and cultural offerings are an hour’s drive or a quick ferry ride away.
Mayor Tracie Markley, formerly a Councilmember, has begun her first term as Mayor of Gig Harbor. The City will also welcome back one Councilmember who won re-election and four new Councilmembers in 2022, with three having been elected in the fall of 2021 and the fourth to be appointed by the City Council to fill the last two years of Mayor Markley’s term.
The City of Gig Harbor is a full-service city with an exceptional workforce of approximately 110 employees. City departments include: Public Works (water, wastewater, stormwater, streets, engineering, parks maintenance), Community Development (Planning and Building), Police, Human Resources, Finance, Municipal Court, and Administration (Information Technology, City Clerk, Tourism and Communications, and Parks Development). The adopted 2022 budget totals $118 million across all funds.
Under the direction of the Mayor, this classification is responsible for the execution of the Mayor's vision and providing professional managerial leadership and strategic direction to all City departments, including the administration and coordination of the activities and functions of the various city officers, departments, commissions and boards in implementing the requirements of the city ordinances and the polices adopted by the City Council. This classification is responsible for developing effective working relationships with elected, administrative and program officials to ensure cooperation and efficient cost-effective operation of city government. This classification is appointed at-will by the Mayor and is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the city and carrying out the decisions in support of the City Council and Mayor. This classification has wide latitude for independent judgment and effective action that is aligned with the goals of the city as established by the Mayor and the City Council.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration or a closely related field; and
- Five (5) years of senior public-sector management experience, such as a city manager or city administrator, deputy/assistant or department director in a city, county or other applicable public-sector agency of similar or greater complexity and size; or
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Business Management or a closely related field; and
- Seven (7) years of senior public-sector management experience, such as a city manager or city administrator, deputy/assistant or department director in a city, county or other applicable public-sector agency of similar or greater complexity and size.
- Membership with International City/County Management Association.
- Membership with Washington City/County Management Association.
- Residency in Gig Harbor strongly preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
- To be considered you must submit and complete an online application through www.governmentjobs.com/careers/gigharbor that reflects all relevant education and experience which addresses how you meet the minimum and/or preferred qualifications for this position. Full job description is listed on our website.
- This position is exempt from FLSA overtime regulations and is an at-will Mayor appointed position.
- The City of Gig Harbor has an excellent benefits package.
- If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
- If you have questions about this recruitment please contact Interim City Administrator, Tony Piasecki at (253) 851-6127.