Project Engineer - City of KirklandCity of Kirkland
Project Engineer - City of Kirkland ( Job # 19-0047)
Maximum Salary: $8,752.00 per month
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Public Works
Open until filled.
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
Join the Capital Projects Division as a Project Engineer with the City of Kirkland!
The Project Engineer administers and manages municipal capital improvement projects (CIP), requiring expertise in the performance of complex engineering and administrative functions, including the negotiations and management of design consultant contracts, the implementation of right-of-way acquisition procedures, the adherence to environmental permitting policies and regulations and the regular observance of construction contract compliance on multiple street, water, sewer, traffic signal, and storm drainage projects.
Projects assigned to the Project Engineer vary in scope from sidewalk improvements to major arterial widening and bridge projects, including overhead utility to underground conversions and traffic signal installations; from gravity sewer systems to sewer pump stations, including the structural facility, pumps, and electric controls; from water main installations to pressure reducing valve installations and master metering stations; and from gravity storm drains to storm retention systems. This position also assists in developing master plans with respect to the above type of facilities.
The Project Engineer administers the project work of the following positions:
• Construction Inspectors (Staff and Consultant): The person or persons who provide inspection of construction sites for compliance with project plan and specifications.
• Engineering Assistants: The person or persons who provide general engineering duties and technical assistance on projects such as drafting, data gathering, inspection, survey, and mathematical computations.
Depending upon assignments, one to five individuals receive direction from the Project Engineer.
1. Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent directly related education.
2. Four years of engineering experience
3. Professional Washington State Engineer registration or the ability to obtain within six months of date of hire.
4. One year computer experience with CPM, database, spreadsheet, and word processing applications.
5. Valid Washington State Driver's License
Ability to use CAD as well as establish CAD methods and resources [libraries, pen tables, etc.] and standards for the City. As assigned, set-up, modify, update, and maintain CAD standards; set-up and troubleshoot CAD computer station for the configuration of CAD programs and file sharing, plotting, and third party programs; provide CAD help to staff, as necessary.Supplemental Desirable Skills
- QA/QC experience on consultant-designed projects
- Experience with SWPPP reports and TESC plans for consultant-designed CIP projects
- Knowledge of drainage plans and reports for consultant-designed CIP projects
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - FridaySelection Process
Position requires a cover letter (letter of interest) and resume with application for consideration. Please note how you meet qualifications within that letter.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. First review of applications is 4/3/2019.Working Conditions & Physical Activities
The position involves monitoring work at construction sites under varying weather conditions. Potential hazards at construction sites include vehicular traffic, construction equipment, and uneven terrain. The position may require climbing ladders, scaffolding, and working in trenches or other confined spaces.Union Affiliation
This position is represented by the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees Union (AFSCME). Membership options available employment with the City.Note
This opportunity includes a full benefit package: 100% paid medical/dental/vision for employee and dependents, free health clinic, generous employer deposits to HRA/VEBA account, deferred compensation plan, 2x annual salary life insurance, vacation and sick leave accruals, paid holidays, free on-site parking, on-site workout facility, wellness club, transportation incentive, and much more.
123 5th Ave
Kirkland, WA 98033