Seasonal Laborers - Public Works Sign Shop - City of KirklandCity of Kirkland
Seasonal Laborers - Public Works Sign Shop - City of Kirkland ( Job # 19-0048)
Maximum Salary: $18.33 per hour
Employment Type: Seasonal
Department: Public Works
Open until filled.. Applications first reviewed on: Thursday, April 4, 2019
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
Multiple seasonal positions are available. Positions are in the Transportation division of Public Works and will be working with the Signs and Traffic Signal groups. Individuals will perform manual labor and operate “light” equipment while working in the City right of way, painting curbs, sight distance trimming, sign cleaning, vegetation control, performing traffic control and flagging, etc. Work consists of routine and repetitive tasks, processes, and/or operations and will be performed cooperatively with other employees and completed in a manner that assures individual, co-worker, and public safety in all weather and working conditions. Work may also be performed independently following clear instruction and standard operating procedures. Work is to be completed with appropriate efficiency and in a manner that commands respect and/or demonstrates appropriate courtesy to co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to operate a variety of hand and power driven tools, airless sprayer, line trimmer, hedge trimmer, chain saw, etc.
- Ability to learn how to safely operate the equipment and machinery necessary to perform assigned tasks, including but not limited to pick-up trucks, flatbeds, and service vehicles with trailers.
- Basic knowledge of small equipment engines.
- Good written and verbal English communication skills.
- Ability to listen and understand direction/instruction, communicate with team members, and respond to customers tactfully and courteously.
- Ability to read and understand directional maps.
- Basic tree trimming/pruning skills is preferred.
Hours of Work
40 hours/week. 6:30am - 3:00pm.Minimum Qualifications
Must be able to operate basic hand and power tools and equipment, drive a pickup truck, maintain a valid Washington State Driver’s License, and function effectively as a team player. Must obtain and maintain a certified flagging card / work zone safety course. These positions require successful completion of a thorough background check as required by the Child/Adult Abuse Information Act.
Note: this position requires reliable regular attendancePreferred Qualifications
- Previous municipal experience in Public Works maintenance preferred.
- Flagging card.
Must be able to work outdoors in inclement weather; safely lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds; and climb into and out of trenches and climb ladders.Special Note
Only candidates whose skills most closely match position requirements will be contacted. This is a limited duration employment and is anticipated to start after May 1 and conclude before October 31.Selection Process
Applicants who are invited to participate in the interview process will be notified by phone or email.
Maintenance Center - PW
915 8th Street
Kirkland, WA 98033