Street Division Manager - Public Works - City of KirklandCity of Kirkland
Street Division Manager - Public Works - City of Kirkland ( Job # 19-0092)
Maximum Salary: $9,970.00 per month
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Public Works
Closes: July 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
Join the Management Team at the City of Kirkland!
The Street Division Manager position resides in the Maintenance and Operations Division of Public Works and reports to the Superintendent of Public Works. This position is responsible for coordinating street and public grounds operations and managing the activities of this division within the Public Works department. This position performs a full range of managerial duties that may be complex in both breadth and depth. Issues are often obscure, politically sensitive, and have considerable public exposure, making timely problem resolution critical. The position has responsibility for personnel management, financial administration, long-range strategic planning and development, and implementation of complex operational changes. This position manages and coordinates regional street and public grounds activities with other city, district, county, regional, and state agencies and organizations.
This position is responsible for maintaining and operating components of the City’s infrastructure including: streets, sidewalks, and grounds assets. Responsible for implementation of short and long-term projects and programs designed to assure the most cost-effective and efficient approach to the continuous quality operation and maintenance of the City infrastructure. This position possesses decision-making authority to:
- Attract, retain, and motivate a professional and competent staff.
- Adhere to budget guidelines and manage Division’s biennial budget.
- Resolve, both internal and external, customer inquiries, concerns and complaints in a timely and professional manner.
- Coordinate Division’s activities with other Public Works divisions and other City departments.
- Manage established levels of service for streets/roadways, sidewalks, paving, snow/ice control, street sweeping, parking facilities, urban forest, roadside grounds and medians (public), path/trails, gateways, triangles, landscaping of City owned buildings and fire stations, and City banners and flags.
- Manage Maintenance Center yard operations.
- Prepares and administers the Division’s annual budgets, projects revenues and expenditures, and monitors ongoing fiscal activities.
- Develops Divisional work flow procedures, researches and implements management improvements and practices.
- Hires, trains, evaluate, and disciplines Division’s staff.
- Collaborates with other Department managers, and senior level staff throughout the City and in other governmental jurisdictions in goal and policy development to assure consistency and integration with other department goals and the City’s mission, forecasting the impact of resource changes on Section and Department activities.
- Represents Division at Department and interdepartmental planning meetings.
- Assists in the development of the Division’s annual operating budget, generates service enhancement packages, and provides input for consideration during the budget process.
- Serves as a member of the Departmental management team or as a member of interdepartmental teams formed to develop, monitor, and implement City-wide, or regional strategies and programs related to their operational jurisdiction.
- Interprets and enforces collective bargaining agreements covering unionized subordinates.
- Directs planning and project plan review process for the Division.
- Develops and implements Divisional goals in coordination with the other Public Works division managers.
- Manages or monitors controversial or high visibility maintenance programs, projects, and emergencies.
- Provides input, feedback, and recommendations to the Public Works Superintendent with regard to Department policies and procedures.
- Develops specifications and criteria, prepares and authorizes requisitions for the procurement of equipment, tools, and supplies purchases.
- Prepares reports, memorandums, and presentation materials in response to citizens, Council inquiries, productivity reports and others as needed.
- Negotiates and administers contracts for consultants and contractors.
- Participates in emergency management preparation and planning for the City.
- Develops bid specifications for Request for Proposals (RFPs).
- Due to the nature of the Division’s work, may be required to respond to cover emergency operational needs including work outside of normal work hours or weekends.
- Investigates, researches, documents, and develops responses for claims for damages for street/sidewalk issues.
- Provide public information to the media, neighborhood associations, and other groups or individuals requesting information regarding City/Departmental/Division activities.
- Participates in county-wide, regional, or state task-forces or committees.
- Responsible for updates to the Division’s elements of the Public Works Department Pre-Approved Plans.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and plans.
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction methods and engineering practices.
- Advanced organizational skills to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Advanced analytical, public relations, and communication skills (both verbal and written) to comprehend, interpret, and explain rules, regulations, legal requirements and policies.
- Advanced interpersonal skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external customers and contacts.
- Ability to remain flexible to changing priorities.
- Advanced negotiation skills and contract administration skills.
- PC proficiency including word processing, spreadsheet, database, visual presentation, communication software, maintenance management and/or work order systems, and other specialty software used by Public Works.
- Working knowledge of construction equipment and machinery operations of all applicable City equipment.
- Working knowledge of Street field maintenance activities.
- Working knowledge of Public Grounds field maintenance activities.
- AA Degree in construction, engineering, construction technology, or related field and/or ten years of progressive experience in construction or street maintenance and three years of management experience
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification (or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire date)
6:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday - FridaySpecial Note
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. While final selection will not occur until after closing, screening may commence prior to the closing date.
First review date July 8, 2019.
This opportunity includes a full benefit package: 100% paid medical/dental/vision premiums for employee and dependents, deferred compensation plan, 2x annual salary life insurance, vacation and sick leave accruals, ORCA Card, free onsite parking, free onsite work-out facilities, management leave and paid holidays.Union Affiliation
This is a non-represented position and a member of the Management and Confidential (MAC) group.Working Conditions & Physical Activities
Work is primarily conducted in a typical office environment. Incumbent is frequently required to sit for extended periods of time. Incumbent is occasionally required to conduct site visits, which may include climbing ladders to enter confined spaces, using manhole steps or access ports to inspect facilities or resolve problems. Site visits frequently include travel in the field to view problem sites, which may expose the incumbent to high decibel levels from operating equipment, hazardous conditions, rugged terrain, chemicals, electrical shock, and/or outside weather conditions.Selection Process
Applicants who are invited to participate in the test and/or interview process will be notified by phone or email.
Finalist(s) will be required to complete a criminal background check and provide a driver's abstract.
Maintenance Center - PW
915 8th Street
Kirkland, WA 98033