Applications Developer (ITP-B, BU)
Applications Developer (ITP-B, BU)
Salary: $44.12 - $66.21 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2021-01438
Closing: 10/26/2021 4:00 PM Pacific
Are you adaptable, function well in a changing environment, and committed to excellence – if so, we are looking for you! The City of Seattle is on the cusp of some amazing change. As one of the country's most technical cities we are looking for talented professionals who can help make our vision of scalable, sustainable IT solutions a reality.
The City of Seattle is seeking candidates for an Applications Developer position with the Customer Information Systems (CIS) Team for the Utilities, Applications Division in Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow.
This position is responsible for the operations and maintenance, incremental enhancements, troubleshooting and repair of Oracle Utilities Products and associated interface applications. The position is responsible to provide support for 24 x 7 business critical systems and routine maintenance work for Seattle City Light and Seattle Public Utilities. We are very interested in individuals with the ability to work as part of a team who have a passion for customer service.
Here is more of what you'll be doing:
- Prioritize varied tasks in order to provide the best possible service to our business clients.
- Work with business clients to accurately define and document application requirements.
- Develop application solutions by working with other Seattle IT teams and business analysts.
- Develop new or modify existing application components using tools and software development lifecycle standards.
- Assess and quickly respond to support incidents and events with a professional, analytical and thorough approach.
- Participate in deliverable reviews.
- Coach and mentor peers within your areas of expertise.
- Participate in an on-call rotation schedule to provide 24x7 application support.
- Perform system maintenance and deployment activities during non-business hours.
- Perform varied job tasks commensurate with the IT Professional B job classification.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education/experience/training will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Experience in waterfall and agile development methodologies.
Intermediate level expertise and experience for the following:
- Developing applications using object-oriented design techniques and principles.
- Developing applications using an object-oriented programming language such as Java, C#, or Python.
- Using SQL with one or more relational database technologies such as Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, or DB2.
- Developing applications utilizing a web application server such as WebLogic, IIS, SharePoint, or WebSphere.
- Change management and software version control using applications such as SVN or GIT.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and or professional work experience.
Commercial electric, water, solid waste, or gas utility business knowledge.
Support experience with commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) applications.
Project management experience leading small projects or a technical lead role within a larger project.
- Familiarity with XAI/IWS, SOAP, and RESTful web services
- Experience working in a Solaris OS environment.
- Experience working with Oracle Coherence and Hibernate Query Language.
- Experience with PL/SQL in an Oracle database environment.
- CA Workload Automation AE (AutoSys Edition) in a Solaris environment.
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Experience with Commercial Utilities Applications such as Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing (CCB), Meter Data Management (MDM), or their cloud versions.
- Experience with Oracle Utilities Application Framework (OUAF)
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle – Benefits at a Glance (Download PDF reader) for more information.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104