Business Systems Analyst (ITP-B, BU)
Business Systems Analyst (ITP-B, BU)
Salary: $44.12 - $66.21 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Are you adaptable, function well in a changing environment, and committed to excellence – if so, we are looking for you! The City of Seattle is on the cusp of some amazing change. As one of the country's most technical cities we are looking for talented professionals who can help make our vision of scalable, sustainable IT solutions a reality.
The City of Seattle is seeking candidates for a Business Systems Analyst (BSA) with the Applications Division of Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team
and set best practices for others to follow.
This position will be a part of the Fire and Police Applications team. The applications this team supports are used by Seattle Police Department and Seattle Fire Department uniformed staff and are a mix of “Commercial Off the Shelf” and custom developed software. The working environment involves interfacing daily with paramilitary organizations (Police and Fire) and understanding how IT services support their critical business functions. This position provides expert guidance to public safety staff on how to best use the software solutions available to support business goals, identifies opportunities for system improvements, and assists with prioritization of the requested improvements. The BSA develops business and system requirements, configures the Orion scheduling application, tests and implements changes, develops business procedures and trains officer/civilian staff. Projects range in size from simple configuration change requests through multi-month projects, requiring an understanding of good project management and team leadership skills. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who enjoys variety in their work and is looking for a challenging position in a team-oriented IT environment.
The Business Systems Analyst will perform the following work:
- Lead meetings to identify enhancements to existing Orion Workforce Plus software, define scope and schedule for the prioritized enhancements.
- Gather and document information on business and system requirements from stakeholders by performing research, facilitating workshops, and conducting interviews.
- Research and analyze business processes for the Fire department and the Police department, and then develop business process diagrams and associated documentation to describe current and future-state business processes with a goal of achieving improved efficiency, usability and reduced cost.
- Document detailed business requirements, business rules and functional requirements.
- Lead Triage reviews of reported Orion issues and determine if they are configuration, user training, or technical issues and help route each for issues resolution.
- Assess existing systems and software capabilities and configuration options to meet business requirements, working with developers as needed.
- Create test plans, write test procedures, test, and work with business staff for end-user testing.
- Partner with the business to develop and deliver training and training references on software system functionality.
- Provide tier three support for the Dispatch, Safety and Records applications; troubleshoot reported defects, identify and implement solutions. Work with vendor to resolve product defects.
- Work with other IT teams in applications and other divisions as needed to meet Seattle IT's standard levels of service.
- Support department goals in promoting diversity, race and social justice.
- Perform varied job tasks commensurate with the IT Professional B job classification.
- Five years of experience as a business systems analyst and/or data analyst.
- Experience implementing off-the-shelf business applications, including gap-fit analyses, capabilities assessments, design, configuration and testing.
- Experience developing requirements, design and technical specifications for data interfaces and automated data management procedures.
- Experience with data analysis and presenting data results at a management level, including development of dashboards, charts, etc.
- Good general knowledge of database structures and tools (such as SQL, Oracle, MS Access, etc.), including the ability to design and execute queries.
- Ability to manage scope as it pertains to areas of responsibility and keep the project manager and supervisor informed of changes and impact to assigned projects.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining appropriate communications with supervisor about progress and issues.
- Ability to manage time well to meet project milestones.
- Good communication skills, including strong writing skills (spelling, grammar and clarity). Able to communicate with both technical and business staff.
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer technology or equivalent field or experience.
- Three years of experience as a business systems analyst of small- to medium-sized projects.
- Experience using standard Software Development Lifecycle templates to create requirements, design and technical specification documentation.
- Ability to identify and document risks, opportunities and efficiencies related to assigned work
- Experience working with one or more scheduling software Systems, with public Safety agencies preferred.
- Experience supporting mission critical applications in a (24 x 7) 911 environment.
- Experience working with Police and Fire uniformed and civilian staff in a paramilitary environment.
- Experience working in large teams, government and/or public sector.
- Experience developing reports and performing data analysis.
- Multilingual ability a plus.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle – Benefits at a Glance for more information.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application to
City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination.
The Seattle Information Technology Department values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. ITD encourages people of all backgrounds to apply.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17.#LI-MV1
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104