Cadastral GIS Data Specialist (Senior Civil Engineering Specialist)
Cadastral GIS Data Specialist (Senior Civil Engineering Specialist)
Job Type Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department Seattle Information Technology
Job Number 2021-01352
Closing 1/25/2022 4:00 PM Pacific
The City of Seattle is seeking candidates for a Cadastral GIS Data Specialist with the Applications Division in Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization’s workforce plays a critical role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle’s complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow.
The Cadastral GIS Data Specialist is a member of the Enterprise GIS Data team, which is part of the six-team GIS & CADD organization residing in the Applications Division of Seattle IT. The Enterprise GIS Data team is responsible for maintaining the common citywide GIS data sets, including cadastral base map layers (e.g. survey control, legal lots and blocks), the street network, addresses, imagery, and dozens of city-wide thematic layers. The team also maintains GIS data used by the Fire and Police computer-aided dispatch (CAD) systems, provides GIS support for a variety of public-safety functions, and manages the GIS Open Data layer updates.
The Cadastral GIS Specialist will work collaboratively with other members of the GIS and CADD teams and City agencies to ensure overall integrity of cadastral data. Cadastral data is heavily relied upon by the City departments for planning, permitting, construction, and infrastructure maintenance activities. Accurate knowledge of the locations of boundaries between public and private property, and the extent of the public right of way is important for the determination of responsibility and for decisions on actions for the City to take.
This position requires a deep technical background in legal property lots and blocks, GIS technologies, as well as strong problem-solving and communication skills. This position will require an individual who is dedicated to the delivery of leading-edge GIS and IT solutions, and who is driven by a philosophy of continuous modernization and continuous improvement. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, able to implement effective approaches for carrying out complex maintenance processes, able to work closely with outside agencies and with City departments to ensure cadastral data is current and accurate.
Here’s more of what you’ll be doing:
- Research, update, and process complex legal property data layers to reflect land use actions within the defined service area with attention to spatial accuracy and quality control. Makes right-of-way and alignment calculations.
- Post cadastral data updates to the production server.
- Generate records to be stored in the City’s Engineering Records Center (“Virtual Vault”).
- Execute file conversion processes (SID/TIFF).
- Research property records including deeds, records of surveys, road dedications, etc.
- Interpret source records (e.g. survey field books and maps, engineer drawings, easements, and legal descriptions) for customers and colleagues.
- Maintain and provide metrics for all corrections and changes received and processed, the size of the backlog, and similar statistics.
- Ensure that critical and routine maintenance is completed in timely manner.
- Design, deploy and tune new data sets.
- Act as a liaison among consultants, contractors, IT, engineering and surveying workgroups, and City.
- Review data deliverables, note problems, errors or deficiencies, and work with the vendor to ensure the data complies with specifications and requirements.
- Continuously improve processes and procedures of citywide IT workflows.
- Work with other IT teams in Applications and other divisions as needed to meet Seattle IT’s standard levels of service.
- Perform varied tasks as assigned commensurate with classified position level.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education/experience/training will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Associate Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or two years of college level coursework in engineering and construction technology, geography, computer technology or remote sensing (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
- 4 years' experience working as a Civil Engineering Assistant, Associate or a comparable position.
- 4 years' experience with Esri ArcGIS software suite and/or Autodesk AutoCAD
- 3+ years’ of experience working with / maintaining geospatial data.
- Ability to read and interpret legal property descriptions, survey maps and engineer plans.
- Patience, problem solving and research skills.
- Ability to work independently but also a collaborative, team player to perform quality control (QC) checks performed by other personnel.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and written.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel to track and catalog cadastral data updates and provide metrics.
- Cartography and/or graphic design.
- Experience conducting land survey calculations using coordinate geometry
- Experience working with the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS/GPS)
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and online application to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/
The City of Seattle offers an excellent benefit package. This includes an option of four medical plans, two dental plans, vision care, and membership in the City’s Employee Retirement System. Employees are afforded eleven paid holidays plus two personal holidays; vacation and sick leave hours accrue with service time. Additional benefits such as Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Flexible Spending, Deferred Compensation, etc. are also available with minimal cost to employees.
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination or qualify for a reasonable accommodation will result in withdrawal of the job offer.
Seattle Information Technology values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. ITD encourages people of all backgrounds to apply.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle’s Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; IFPTE, Local 17.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104