Development Operations Engineer (IT Pro B, BU)City of Seattle - Seattle Information Technology Department
Development Operations Engineer (IT Pro B, BU)
Salary: $41.39 - $62.11 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2019-02029
Closing: 12/10/2019 4:00 PM Pacific
Do you excel at managing Enterprise Middleware Technology? Are you looking to build the future of government tech for the greater good? Seattle IT has an excellent career opportunity for an experienced Development Operations Engineer!
The City of Seattle is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Development Operations Engineer (DevOps Engineer) with Seattle Information Technology (IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 700+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-In-Class Digital Services Delivery Team and set best practices for others to follow.
The DevOps Engineer represents one of the city's most challenging and interesting IT roles. This position will be responsible for provisioning and maintaining City of Seattle's Middleware System. An individual filling this role will wear many hats, quite often in the same day and is a self-starter that excels at taking initiative to fulfill our Department goals. Some of our "routine" daily tasks are as follows:
- Develop automated solutions to facilitate environment buildout and maintenance at enterprise level.
- Work/collaborate with various infrastructure (Unix/Network/Storage/etc.) and application teams to determine environment architecture and design.
- Learn new technologies across a multitude of city departments.
- Exercise the mind while troubleshooting increasingly complex application environments and integrations.
A career at the City of Seattle comes with the following additional benefits:
- 9 days 80 flex schedule option – 26 extra days off a year.
- Fair on-call practices – about 1 week every 2 months, with standby pay for every hour on-call (10% of base hourly wage).
- Overtime – Hours worked over 40 in a work week are paid with Overtime or Compensatory time at 1.5 x the hourly rate.
- Incredible benefits – from low monthly cost health plans with low co-pays to retirement pension.
- For more details please review the 2019 benefits brief at http://www.seattle.gov/personnel/benefits/pubs/2019_L77_Benefits_At_A_Glance.pdf (Download PDF reader)
- Design – Plan, architect, and implement highly available solutions for various middleware technologies. We often leverage Oracle WebLogic Fusion Middleware, Tomcat, and cloud solutions (AWS/Azure/OCI etc.).
- Build – Develop tools and infrastructure to deploy, monitor, and manage services and products across numerous environments and lifecycles. Following SDLC and creating with a mind to scalability is key.
- Automate – Automate tools to perform routine system administration tasks to reduce manual processes and eliminate human error. Debug and unit/performance test code as needed.
- Optimize – Collect, transform, and analyze metrics in order to facilitate application performance and stability tuning.
- Support – Ensure tools are in place to proactively monitor middleware solutions. Also participate as part of a 24x7 on-call rotation for incidents and maintenance objectives. This includes log analysis, issue reproduction in lower lifecycles, and working with app teams and QA to resolve problems.
- Learn – Constantly evolve learning new technologies to facilitate the needs of varied City Departments.
- Collaborate – Work daily with teams and individuals across the department to meet goals. We routinely interface with Windows/Unix admins, network, security, architecture, and application teams. We also often function in a consulting role for those that may not know exactly what they need.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Proven experience with Unix/Linux Shell scripting and other coding languages such as python/perl/jython
- Working knowledge of Java/JEE
- Progressive experience and in-depth knowledge of middleware solutions.
NOTE: Submit cover letter & resume along with NeoGov application.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance 14.17.
NOTE: This position is affiliated with a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77.
- Bachelor's degree in science, technology, engineering, or math or related field; additional experience may be substituted for the degree
- Experience with using Ansible(or other automation solution) & proficiency in Python/WLST for provisioning new WebLogic Environment
- Experience building out and using HashiCorp Vault or similar technology to facilitate secure automated password management and retrieval.
- Experience with Cloud Provider like Amazon Web Services, Azure, and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Experience with source control system like GIT & using Application Lifecycle Tools like Azure DevOps
- Experience building out ELK stack or similar to manage/transform/retain/mine metrics out of environment logs at an enterprise level.
- Experience building out and using HashiCorp or similar to facilitate secure password management.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and diagnose complex system across the whole IT infrastructure (eg. Unix, Servers, Network, F5, Databases etc).
- Experience installing, configuring and managing WebLogic Server environments (12c or higher)
- Experience with managing Oracle Utilities applications like Work and Asset Management, Network
Management System, and Customer Care Billing System
- Experience with Oracle Enterprise Manager monitoring tool
- Experience in managing SSL certs across server environments for secure communications
- Experience installing, configuring Oracle APEX environments
- Understand networking and load balancing concepts (F5 or similar) and how to leverage both in HA architectures
- Experience Installing, configuring and managing Tomcat Server environments
- Experience with Apache and HTTP server (OHS)
- Extensive experience with Java and JEE
- 1-2 Years of progressive relational database experience in Oracle (11g and above) and experience with SQL & PL/SQL.
- Team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills (detail oriented). Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative style
- Experience with Public sector and Utility industry is preferred
This position is open to all candidates who meet the minimum qualifications. The Seattle Information Technology Department values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. ITD encourages people of all backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply:
Apply online and submit cover letter and resume at www.seattle.gov/jobs or complete an application and drop it off at the Seattle Department of Human Resources, Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5400, Seattle, WA 98124-4028.
The City of Seattle is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in the workplace.