Director of Service ModernizationCity of Seattle - Seattle Information Technology Department
Director of Service Modernization
Salary: $120,936.95 - $199,591.91 Annually
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Civil Service Exempt, Regular, Full-time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2019-00879
- Position Description
Seattle IT is changing ... we're excited about what's next! If you combine a visionary mindset with a hands-on approach to leadership ... the status quo isn't good enough, and you have the drive to make a difference ... this position is a once-in-a-career opportunity! Join us!
The City of Seattle is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director of Service Modernization with Seattle Information Technology (IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 700+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow.
- Job Responsibilities
The Director of Service Modernization position serves as the executive staff member responsible for developing and maturing Seattle IT modernization of digital technologies, to optimize client and employee experiences and system output/outcomes and building a Best-in-Class digital service delivery team. Our work spans the entire lifecycle of identifying client needs, building business cases, driving development and utilize the available technologies to optimize our work throughput and client service delivery.
The Director of Service Modernization is primarily responsible for strategic leadership and execution of IT modernization processes and functions. This includes defining services, establishing standards and processes and delivery and reporting on service metrics. The Director will translate high-level organization objectives into achievable plans, which should include measuring and analyzing trade-offs to maximize value for operations, customers, and technical teams. As such, candidates should demonstrate depth of experience in high-level of cross-functional leadership and coordination.
Reporting to the Chief of Technology Officer, the Director of Service Modernization will serve as a liaison between operations and technical teams, collaborating to understand needs and articulate requirements. This Director will have an approximate team of 10 direct reports with an overall team of around 40 trained professional technical staff.
The Director of Service Modernization is responsible for leading, managing, and developing the service modernization functions within Seattle IT and the City. This includes providing leadership and strategic direction to develop and implement service modernization processes and tools.
- A critical part of this role is the ability to influence and get collaborative alignment from cross-functional teams to deliver on modernization roadmaps of key systems and technologies.
- Produce rolling 10-Year technology capital reserve projections.
- Create and publish rolling three-year modernization roadmaps/outlooks for key technology systems.
- On an ongoing basis, engage in piloting proof of concepts with both internal IT and client departments.
- Champion automation across IT and put in place Automation as a Service (AaaS) available to both IT and client departments.
- Own a 'Cloud Right' strategy for the organization and put in place a disciplined implementation plan.
- Drive a high adoption of Quality Assurance best practices across all IT.
- Own the narrative around enterprise data analytics by driving data governance, classification and platforms.
- Pursue strategic partnerships with key vendors to create alignment with product roadmaps.
- Identify and implement off-the-shelf SaaS tools for foundational improvements to IT operations such as patch management, license management etc.
- Implement an Enterprise Architecture practice that is visible both across Seattle IT and in strategic business-technology discussions with client departments.
- Maintain clear communication with operations and technical teams. Therefore, successful candidate must be able to present, communicate and discuss complex initiatives with diverse groups of constituents via internal and external communications plans, and public/stakeholder meetings.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives to improve the processes, tools, and training of relevant employees to effectively use key tools.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, business, information technology, or a closely related field.
- Senior director/executive level experience, preferably in a professional services firm or equivalent experience in similar consultative based roles.
- Extensive demonstrated business services experience in a position requiring the management of complex initiatives.
- Demonstrated successes improving team performance through implementation of standard methods and best practices.
- Demonstrated strategic and proactive approach to solving problems.
- Ability to tailor and deliver messages to different audience, including C-level leaders, peers, customers, and stakeholders.
- Ability to translate strategy and business needs into an executable plan.
- Ability to promote adoption of change across a range of Business and/or IT related initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in a workplace that values diversity.
- Ability to lead by influence and achieve results leveraging resources that are outside of your direct reporting structure.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate with customers, vendors, partners, and business managers across various levels of the organization.
- Approachable and inclusive leadership style; willingness to be visible and interact with employees at all levels.
- A team builder; able to empower staff and rely on professional/technical expertise; motivate staff to be creative and reach higher levels of performance.
- Experience working in a strong IT governance environment, with practical knowledge of developing and implementing IT governance processes and administration.
- A record of accomplishment of demonstrated IT leadership accomplishments and performance, including excellent professional judgment and sound decision making.
- Excellent strategic planning skills.
- Ability to write and communicate medium to complex information through written format, including but not limited to business rationales, proposals, memo, etc.
- Excellent customer services skills.
- Process-oriented, with strong attention to details and ongoing improvements.
- Practical change management experience.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior experience in leveraging performance management to create high productivity teams.
- Demonstrated experience to presenting to an organization's senior leadership.
- Seasoned facilitator of discussions amongst diverse stakeholders.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17. Background investigation may include CJIS certification conducted under the purview of Seattle Police Department.
- Additional Information
- Master's degree in computer science, business, information technology, or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability with a track record of successful leadership in change management and organizational development.
- Effective organizational, analytical, confidentiality, quantitative, writing, multitasking and time management skills.
- Effective team management and development skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and present effectively to a diverse group of stakeholders and customers.
- Experience packaging and communicating complex projects for executive level presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and motivate staff, particularly in a public sector environment.
- Prior experience building programs and initiatives using design thinking principles.
- Prior experience building programs and initiatives using systems thinking principles.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Motivated and curious, willing to ask questions, research issues and take on challenging projects/assignments; creative, brings new ideas to the table, exhibits self-confidence. Has strong achievement motivation and tenacity.
- Possesses ability to organize and follow-through on multiple tasks, recognizes and attends to important details with accuracy and efficiency, effectively prioritizes work of staff members. Works to complete goals, tasks and plans, anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative solutions.
- Interpersonal Style: (Interpersonal Skills, Communication, Teamwork); develops/ maintains effective working relationships; listens attentively to others; communicates ideas clearly (written & verbal); relates to people in an open/ sincere manner; participates effectively in meetings; assists in finding solutions as well as identifying problems; communicates appropriately with supervisor, managed staff and co-workers. Able to manage other individuals and maintain calm and reliable demeanor in the face of challenges.
- Self-Management: (Adaptability/Flexibility, Stress Tolerance, Autonomy); adapts readily to changes in routine; works effectively in stressful situations; needs limited guidance and direction; is comfortable working in a fast paced environment; is reliable and dependable; is results-oriented; maintains productivity and composure under pressure; views problems as opportunities to create solutions.
- Thinking Skills: Diagnoses problems efficiently; gathers sufficient input before making decision or plans; makes timely decision, quickly determines sources of problem, identifies information needed to solve problem and analyzes alternative solutions, communicates issues and decisions effectively to team.
- Customer Orientation: Sensitive & responsive to internal and external customer needs; demonstrates skills in customer services and satisfaction; maintains a positive attitude, willing to listen to customer problems and seeks solutions; stays in tune with changing needs of customers.
- Ability to work non-business hours.
- Ability to work On-call.
- Occasional travel to offsite facilities and remote locations may be necessary.
The City of Seattle offers an excellent benefit package. This includes an option of four medical plans, two dental plans, vision care, and membership in the City's Employee Retirement System. Employees are afforded ten paid holidays plus two personal holidays; vacation and sick leave hours accrue with service time; this position is eligible for Executive and Merit Leave. Additional benefits such as Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Flexible Spending, Deferred Compensation, etc. are also available with minimal cost to employees.
City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104