IT Applications ManagerCity of Seattle - Seattle Information Technology Department
IT Applications Manager
Salary: $93,960.00 - $140,960.89 Annually
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Civil Service Exempt, Regular, Full-time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2019-00985
Closing: 8/27/2019 4:00 PM Pacific
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 700+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow.
The city is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of IT Applications Manager for our Work, Asset and Inventory systems. In this role, you will be provided the opportunity to establish best in class applications development and support processes that will allow our organization to scale and support multiple programs. The right candidate will possess a strong applications development background, will have demonstrated experience leading technical project teams and be passionate about developing others.
This position supervises a team of senior IT staff focused on supporting enterprise and operationally critical applications. This team provides a wide spectrum of services (i.e. designing, developing, integrating, system analysis, implementing and supporting) for Work, Asset and Inventory Management (WAI) applications citywide.
We are seeking strong leadership to be part of the cross-functional team that ensures the city delivers reliable and trustworthy systems to its internal departments and public constituents.
The successful candidate will partner closely with technology teams and business units to drive the engineering and delivery of advanced IT solutions. Must have a strong technical background, be detail driven, and have excellent problem solving and communication skills. This role and team will evolve to support to reflect organization's needs from enterprise priorities, integrating, transitioning, optimization of staffing and process maturity as technologies shift. You should not only be passionate about delivering leading-edge IT solutions, but should also be obsessed with contributing to the development of high-performing teams.
- Play a key leadership role within WAI to develop and execute a strategy that meets business objectives, enables critical decision making and supports current/future initiatives.
- Build the roadmap for strategic implementations of WAI applications, in partnership with the Enterprise Architecture team and Key Business Stakeholders.
- Build and develop a cross functional team responsible for product development and support initiatives that is innovative, adaptable, responsive and agile.
- Work collaboratively throughout the organization on the execution of the product portfolio vision and strategy to ensure success.
- Act as both internal customer and product advocate, leading and directing internal and external teams.
- Identify new product ideas, monitor customer trends, develop and test concepts, and measure performance.
- Execute product strategies and create/maintain product roadmaps that prioritize customer needs and lead to cost effective service delivery.
- Lead, inspire, manage and motivate a team of direct reports who develop, test, implement and support WAI technologies.
- Develop and manage the strategic product lifecycle, through roadmaps, Decision Papers, etc. from opportunity assessment, initial planning phase, and tactical activities thru implementation and deployment. Larger more complex projects may require Project Manager support from the Project Management Office.
- Assist the IT Client Services Directors with translating business goals, feature concepts, vendor solutions and customer needs into comprehensive requirements, compelling business plans and budget workbooks.
- Manage scope, resources, timelines, expectations and deliverables to deliver quality and balanced products on time and budget through tools such as service ticketing system and Azure Dev Ops.
- Build consensus and drive collaboration across teams, stakeholders and external business partners (vendors).
- Articulate and drive resolution to issues and foster communication in all directions. Adeptly deliver tough messages in a way the builds partnerships and inspires action.
- Manage vendors, vendor software and consulting partnerships that support WAI technology.
- Prepare and present business cases that clearly describe strategy and tactical objectives to stakeholders and all levels executive leadership to define continual product improvement.
- Define and analyze comprehensive metrics to inform the success of products post implementation and ongoing strategic planning.
- Manage communication at all level of leadership regarding product goals and progress to goals.
- Build partnerships and relationships with key business stakeholders.
- Constantly evaluate and improve the tools and processes used to effectively deliver WAI products rapidly and cost effectively.
- Manage multiple annual budgets and ability to forecast expenditures each year that impact bi-annual City budgeting.
- Capable of handling incidents when they arise and take the lead role of Incident Commander through resolution and long-term mitigation
- Build and manage annual WAI Work Plan for support work efforts.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or a closely related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Proven leadership and advancement in IT Applications Management
- Experience engaging with all levels of management including senior level executives
- Demonstrated experience with application development and support methodologies (i.e. ITIL, Lean, Kanban, etc.)
- Demonstrated strong vendor management skills
- Proven leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Detailed knowledge and capability of project management related to application development
- Demonstrated experience with Waterfall, Agile and Iterative development.
- Experience with enterprise applications including COTS and Custom solutions
- Experience with service ticket applications, work prioritization and break-down
- Demonstrated experience managing small projects, O&M support work and incident management for proper resource allocation.
- Ability to build trust and engagement with executives, customers, peers and team.
- Seizes opportunities to learn.
- Understands the importance of teamwork, building relationships and facilitation.
- Ability to produce high quality deliverables while maintaining schedule commitments.
- Experience creating strong working relationships with co-workers in business units, technology teams and across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a project team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to convey technical information to non-technical staff or customers, commitment to excellent customer service and outstanding customer relationship skills.
- Proven ability to proactively solve problems and recommend solutions. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Process orientation with strong attention to detail.
- High energy; able to deal with demanding pace and changing priorities with the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and a sense of humor, use good judgment and discretion, and interact with diverse workforce within the City and customer base.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Human Resources
- Specialization in Work, Asset & Inventory Management or Project Management
- 3+ years of work, asset and inventory management applications/systems
- Experience with Managed Services Contracts, Service Level Agreements and Vendor Contracts
- Working knowledge of Oracle (include APEX) and, Microsoft applications and systems
- Government/public sector experience
- Experience with Oracle Utilities platform of applications (i.e. WAMS), IBM Maximo, Hansen
- Technologies, ABB Asset Suite
- Experience implementing enterprise applications with complex integrations
- Experience with cloud based solutions – SaaS, PaaS, IaaS
- Submit cover letter and resume in addition to NeoGov Application
- Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17.
- Ability to work non-business hours when necessary
- Ability to work On-call and handle incidents for WAI applications
- Occasional travel to offsite facilities and remote locations may be necessary.
Agency: City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104