Network Operations Engineer (ITP-B,BU)
Network Operations Engineer (ITP-B,BU)
Salary: $45.44 - $64.00 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2023-00066
Closing: 1/24/2023 4:00 PM Pacific
The City of Seattle is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Network Operations Engineer with Seattle Information Technology (IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow.
We are looking for an accomplished, enthusiastic Network Operations Engineer to join a diverse team of information technology professionals that operate and maintain the City’s core data network and internet infrastructure. This team supports network equipment in a multi-vendor, enterprise environment including Cisco switches and routers; Cisco Nexus datacenter switching fabric; F5 load balancers, and enterprise 802.11 infrastructure. The team is responsible to maintain highly reliable, secure network and Internet connectivity for more than 14,000 end users across City government.
The successful candidate will work on a variety of installation, configuration, and upgrade activities; investigate, diagnose, and resolve various hardware, software, and infrastructure issues; and provide Tier I/II support for other engineers and installers. The position works on high severity network incidents, requiring excellent troubleshooting, communication, and crisis management skills, and acts as a key point of contact for peers, other internal groups, and vendors. This person needs to make skillful use of a complex and evolving array of industry standard and internally-developed tools to ensure the network delivers consistently high reliability and performance.
- Complete assigned projects and deliver services in accordance with established objectives.
- Design, install, maintain, and repair the City’s enterprise data network in accordance with approved standards.
- Configure, administer, and troubleshoot routing, switching, load balancing, and DNS/DHCP/NTP.
- Configure and administer network devices in compliance with departmental SLA’s, industry standards, regulatory requirements (PCI, CJIS, etc.), and City standards for data security, reliability, monitoring/alerting, disaster recovery, and business continuity.
- Generate and maintain technical documentation including network designs, addressing schemes, and version management.
- Oversee and execute planned upgrade and maintenance work, minimizing impact to services.
- Follow defined communication procedures for maintenance outages and incident response.
- Utilize knowledge of network management and network analysis tools to resolve service impacting data network and internet issues.
- Escalate system problems to appropriate internal/external resources.
- Act as internally-facing point of contact to escalate technical issues and communicate network status.
- Act as externally-facing point of contact to facilitate handling of problem reports and maintain relationships with network peers and vendors.
- Accurately and completely document problems and solutions on case notes and bug reports.
- Participate in the rotating 24/7 on-call, carrying a cell phone or pager.
- Other duties, at commensurate IT Professional level, will be assigned on an as-needed basis.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications.
- 1 year experience designing and maintaining enterprise data network and data center environments utilizing L2 and L3 protocols.
- Thorough knowledge of the following protocols & technologies: OSPF, EIGRP, Cisco ISE, DNS, DHCP, NTP, 802.1d/STP, HSRP, RSTP, 802.1Q, TCP/IP (internals & flow control), TFTP, and SSH.
- Thorough understanding of IP networking at L1-L4.
- Thorough knowledge of Cisco design model and technology with an emphasis on enterprise class/chassis-based products.
- Strong network analysis and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience using Wireshark, WildPackets, or comparable protocol analyzer.
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours, as projects require.
- Solid oral and written communication skills.
- Strong customer services skills.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively manage time and priorities with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Visio, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity within the organization.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License or evidence of equivalent mobility.
- Active Cisco CCNP or CCDP certification.
- Active Cisco CCNA certification
- Working knowledge of DMZ architecture.
- Experience configuring and supporting F5 BIG-IP.
- Experience configuring and supporting Infoblox DNS/DHCP/NTP infrastructure.
- Experience configuring and supporting Cisco ISE.
- Experience administering and troubleshooting Cisco and/or Aruba enterprise wireless solutions.
- Excellent script writing skills.
- Experience with 802.1x authentication.
- Knowledge of PCI, CJIS, and/or NERC compliance requirements.
- Experience with information technology operations within the government/public sector, ideally including public safety, utilities, transportation, and other general government agencies.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle’s Fair Chance Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17. Background investigation includes CJIS and NERC certification.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
COVID VACCINE MANDATE
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If selected, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination prior to your start date. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation):
Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic and Covid-19 this team is currently working a hybrid schedule - 2 days in office, 3 days remote. This is subject to change as circumstances dictate.
How to Apply: Please submit your application and upload a copy of your resume and cover letter to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104