Sr. IT Business Analyst, Concept ConsultationCity of Seattle - Seattle Information Technology Department
Salary: $86,652.00 - $130,019.76 Annually
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Temporary - Benefit Eligible
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2019-01386
Closing: 8/27/2019 4:00 PM Pacific
Seattle IT is looking for talented Sr. Business Analysts with strong technical and analytical skills for concept consultation related to technology implementation projects on a long term temporary basis. This is a great way to try out public service and apply your skills to the greater good!
Department Overview: As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical part in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 700+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow.
Temporary assignments may last from 6 months to 3 years. The Senior IT Business Analysts, Concept Consultation, are accountable for requirements elicitation, analysis, documentation, business process and workflow mapping, and delivering recommendations to key stakeholders. Concept consultations require the ability to view projects through the lens of technical requirements and business goals, and use critical thinking to envision how individual projects align with the overall vision of Seattle IT. This role supports all aspects of our four-pillar approach to business analysis, including adherence to the BABOK standards, organizational change management, performance metrics based upon balanced scorecard, and continuous process improvement when designing future state.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities to improve operational problems and developing future project definitions through analysis of current state business processes.
- Develop and present consultation findings to contribute to client's decision path.
- Engage and work closely with business customers at all levels from front-line to Executive leadership.
- Ensure business goals and strategies are reflected in the recommended solution.
- Identify, recommend, and document specific business and technology requirements.
- Develop software fit/gap analyses, preliminary and detailed business requirements, use cases/user stories, software requirements, and process/workflow diagrams.
- Communicate requirements and opportunities to all levels of the organization and to audiences of varying degrees of technical knowledge.
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the business processes and the associated IT systems as informed by business staff.
- Build a strong working relationship with key business stakeholders, client SME's, and all the various IT resources to ensure the IT organization is focusing on the right services and products required by the business.
- Gather and evaluate information from multiple sources for project planning, requirements gathering, including interpreting high-level information; abstracting from low-level information to a general understanding; and evaluating user requests to perceive the underlying needs of the business.
- Support the four-pillar approach to business analysis, including completion of deliverables following the BABOK standards, developing organizational change management plans and deliverables following the Prosci® model and ACMP standard, identifying and developing performance metrics, and support continuous improvement objectives.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and/or experience.
- Significant business analysis experience implementing technology projects
- Experience with business process modeling, workflows, and data analysis.
- Demonstrated experience working with implementing COTS systems and/or replacement of legacy systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Business
- Business Analyst Certification (CCBA or CBAP).
- Government and/or public sector experience.
- Skilled in facilitating requirements gathering sessions with large groups with diverse perspectives; ability to bring groups to consensus
- Experience writing project documentation and deliverables.
- Experience engaging with all levels of management including senior level executives.
- Ability to build trust and engagement with project team and business stakeholders.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with organizational change management, Prosci® model.
- Experience with Lean or other Continuous Improvement Processes.
- Experience with Performance Metrics, development and monitoring.
- Experience with developing SMART goals to achieve business objectives and create actionable next steps
- Familiarity with OKR's (objectives and key results)
- Familiarity with data visualization and using data to tell a story to non-technical audiences
NOTE: Submit cover letter & resume along with NeoGov application.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive criminal background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17.
Agency: City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104