Wastewater OperatorEastsound Sewer & Water District
Eastound Sewer and Water District
Wastewater Treatment Plant and Collection System Operations and Maintenance
ANNUAL SALARY: $41,600 - $49,900 DOE
Overview of Benefits at www.eswd.org
Open Until Filled – First Review - February 14, 2020
To Apply: Send Resume to Janice Corbin at email@example.com
Eastsound Sewer and Water District (ESWD) has a full-time position open for a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator. The ESWD has two sewer systems which are located at Eastsound and Orcas Village on Orcas Island, Washington. These sewer systems are two stage, pumped systems that involve not only a system of collection mains but also depend on individual on-site septic tanks, effluent pumps and discharge lines to the sewer system. Knowledge and understanding of sewer treatment plant operations and maintenance plus sewer collection system maintenance and repairs is strongly preferred.
The successful candidate will possess, or have the ability to obtain, a WWTP Operator I or II certification and have experience in the operations and maintenance of a small to a mid-size wastewater treatment plant and collection system. Duties include performing a variety of mid-level work in the maintenance, operations and repairs of the sewer collection system and treatment plants. Operate a wide variety of hand and power tools and equipment used to maintain and make repairs to the sewer system. The ability to maintain a positive relationship with customers and the community is required.
This position reports directly to the General Manager and does not supervise other staff.
The essential functions/primary responsibilities listed are intended only as examples of the type of work performed by this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from this position. Examples of daily responsibilities include:
- Perform a variety of work in the maintenance, operation, troubleshooting, repairs and replacement of equipment used in the District’s wastewater collection system.
- Operate the Septic Pump Truck
- Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Follow direction, understand and work within the scope of authority
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Maintain routine records and meet schedules and timelines
- Work cooperatively with others
- Perform heavy physical labor to include lifting 75 pounds, bending to work on equipment at or below ground level, walking on uneven ground, climbing ladders, and digging trenches
- Must be comfortable and capable in working with toxic materials including human waste
- Represent the District to customers and the public in a courteous and professional manner
- Abide by District policies, rules, regulations and guidelines as adopted by management and the Board of Commissioners
- Understanding and implementation of health and safety regulations and procedures
- The overview of this position, as outlined above, is not all-inclusive.
Minimum Qualifications (Education/Experience):
- A high school diploma (GED), and an equivalent amount of work experience and professional certifications in wastewater or water treatment
- Possess or ability to obtain a Class I or II Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator’s Certificate of Competency as issued by the State of Washington Dept. of Ecology
- Ability to acquire a Commercial Driver License with Class B endorsement
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time, traverse rough terrain, work in confined spaces, descend and climb ladders
- Lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds
- Ability to hear alarms and audibly and visibly identify the presence of a danger or hazard
- Work after hours as necessary and be available for emergency call outs
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a credit check. The finalist will be required to submit proof of certifications.
Equal Opportunity Employer