General Ledger Accountant
HIGHLINE COLLEGE (WA)
invites applications for the position of:
GENERAL LEDGER ACCOUNTANT
SALARY: $68,000.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 10/01/21
CLOSING DATE: 10/31/21 09:00 PM
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the General Ledger Accountant maintains the College’s general ledger to accurately and completely reflect accounting information. This position may supervise other fiscal related professional staff.
This is a full-time exempt, at will position.
Please be advised beginning October 18, 2021 of the Washington State employees requirement to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Additional details located in the Supplemental Information section.
PRIMARY DUTIES & ESSENTIAL TASKS
- Maintain all general ledger accounts and balances in a complete, accurate and timely
- Analyze and interpret general ledger information;
- Reconcile general ledger accounts with subsidiary ledgers;
- Prepare and post general ledger journal entries;
- Design and generate ledger reports for management;
- Take a lead role in month- and year-end closing processes;
- Prepare fiscal and financial reports;
- Interpret and apply applicable federal and state regulations;
- Create efficient processes to enhance productivity in alignment with best practices;
- Make recommendations for changes or refinement as appropriate;
- Represent the college on site visits or during formal conferences with auditors;
- Conduct and provide technical workshops and other training activities for college personnel on fiscal related topics;
- Serve on college committees;
- Act as backup to the Accounting Manager as necessary;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Communicate effectively (written and orally);
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- Meet established deadlines;
- Collaborate effectively within a team;
- Use Microsoft Office and appropriate financial software.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university; AND
- Two years of relevant professional experience in fiscal, accounting, planning, fund
development or budget;
- Equivalent education and work experience which includes two years of relevant
professional experience in fiscal, accounting, planning, fund development or budget.
- Three years of full-time working experience with general ledger;
- Experience working with PeopleSoft;
- Experience working in a college environment;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college
students and employees.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any
substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current
employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law.
Conditions of Employment
Highline College does require COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, staff and faculty –– with
waivers for specific exemptions –– for those who physically attend courses, operations, or other
in-person activities. This decision was made in accordance with higher education proclamation 20-
12.4. A candidate will not be asked to report their vaccination status unless they are hired by the
college. If a candidate chosen for hiring is not fully vaccinated from COVID-19 and plans to submit
a medical or religious exemption to this employment condition, the hiring process will be
suspended until a decision has been made regarding any exemption application which is
submitted. A candidate will not be allowed to do any work for Highline College or be onboarded as
a new employee during the time period when the exemption is being considered. The request for
an exemption does not guarantee approval.
ABOUT HIGHLINE COLLEGE
Founded in 1961, Highline College is situated in a diverse community just 15 minutes south of
Seattle. The college annually serves more than 16,500 students –– a student population of over
70% students of color, representing 35 nations and more than 100 languages. The college
embraces equity, inclusion and social justice, with core goals of student attainment, diversity,
community Engagement and sustainability. The student body at Highline College is made up of
Transfer students, Running Start students, Professional-Technical students, International students,
Comprehensive Transition Program for students with intellectual disabilities, Adult Basic Education
and English Language Learners. In addition, we offer six bachelor of applied science, four-year
MISSION AND VISION
As an essential part of our mission and vision, diversity, equity and inclusion are promoted and
fostered in all aspects of college life.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE AT:
Your online application must include the following three attachments to be considered complete:
1. A detailed RESUME.
2. A cover letter (two-page maximum) that addresses the REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, and to
the extent applicable, the DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS of the position.
3. A one page response to the DIVERSITY STATEMENT found in the Supplemental Questions
Should you have any difficulties uploading your documents or navigating the application process,
please contact NEOGOV Technical Support at 1-855-524-5627, Mon- Fri 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Highline College offers an outstanding benefits package with a full range of benefits that include
multiple medical, dental, life and disability coverage options for employees and eligible family
members; choice of retirement and deferred compensation plans to save for the future; paid
holidays, sick time, and vacation, reduced tuition, employee discounts, memberships, Employee
Assistance Program and more.
Highline College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Highline College is an equal opportunity employer. The College is committed to enhancing the
diversity of our faculty and staff, as well as our student population. We strive to create a working
environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientations, and gender
identity diversity. We strongly encourage applicants to apply without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legal
The College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Applicants needing
accommodations in the application process in an alternative format may contact the Human
Resources office at (206) 592-3812. Persons who are deaf or hard of hearing may dial 711 to
place a call through Washington Relay, the state's free telecommunication access service.
Title IX Policy
Highline College complies with Title IX regulations. For details on our policies, see our
The College appointing authorities reserve the right and may exercise the option to make an
employment decision prior to the conclusion of the recruitment process.
The college provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types).
Highline College provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Federal Rehabilitation Act. If you need more information about Access Services or need accommodations, please contact the Human Resources Department at 206-592-3812.
Persons hired will need to provide documentation verifying identify and employment authorization to work in the United States.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
MS 99-200 P.O. Box 98000
Des Moines, WA 98198-9800