Job Description: Hive Maintenance Engineer/Technician
Reporting to: Maintenance Coordinator/Property Manager
Location: Seattle, WA
Property: Lucille Apartments & Existing Portfolio
The Maintenance Engineer role for Hive/Lucille is a great opportunity to work overall maintenance operations for the Hive portfolio which includes new and existing properties. We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented, self-starter who enjoys a fast-paced work environment and takes ownership in all aspects of work.
The successful candidate will possess a working knowledge of general apartment maintenance, safety procedures, appliance repair, light carpentry, plumbing and electrical work. The Maintenance Engineer performs technical and mechanical work that ensures the inside and exterior of buildings, grounds, amenities, and common areas of the Hive portfolio of properties meet the Company’s standards for cleanliness, appearance, safety, and overall functionality.
This position will support the Maintenance Coordinator and team of maintenance professionals, give recommendations and make thoughtful and timely research decisions with limited guidance. The candidate will be highly self-motivated with a strong sense of initiative and the ability to work well with the team and community residents.
- Maintains a constructive and highly interactive relationship with all maintenance and office staff and residents to maximize resident experience
- Responsible for overseeing the physical condition and appearance of all Hive current and future properties (grounds, interior, exterior, amenities) to assure exceptional cleanliness, appearance, safety, and overall functionality
- Reacts with appropriate levels of urgency to situations and events that require a quick response.
- Assists with overall maintenance operations including timely work request service, quality turnover / make-ready schedule, and cost-effective inventory control and ordering for the property
- Diagnose and perform minor and routine maintenance/repair in a timely and professional manner. Assure all service requests are completed daily
- Assist with Punch List for new construction ensuring the units are ready for move in
- Inspect vacant or punch list units after make-ready has been completed to determine quality of work performed. Ensure adequate number of make ready units are available and that the products are up to company standards.
- Complete special projects as may be assigned and prioritized by the Property Manager/RM and executive ownership
- Assist with the tenant improvements as required.
- Complete or assist with completion of preventative maintenance.
- Maintain accurate records and provide resident training as required.
- Assist with ordering of parts and supplies and maintain inventory, utilizing inventory system.
- Maintain shop organization and appearance to standards to facilitate quick assessment of supply inventory.
- Maintain proper equipment, and equipment inventory to ensure warranty compliance.
- Obtain bids and negotiate prices, as necessary, with vendors and contractors.
- Perform inspections as needed, and maintain compliance with Rental Registration and Inspection Ordinance.
- Perform effective emergency maintenance (after hours) as required. Rotating on call schedule.
- Weekly Property Walks (including lighting and safety checks, curb appeal)
- Perform, and report on, all work according to the safety standards of the company, OSHA and health codes. Perform work area clean-up on a weekly basis.
- Promote a collaborative environment with team members.
- Represent the company and brand in a professional manner and maintain proper appearance and standards.
- Physical: Extensive mobility and excellent physical condition. Ability to lift 100 lbs. necessary for installation and removal of appliances.
- Ability to operate all necessary hand tools to make repairs. Ability to kneel, crouch, climb, crawl, etc. to reach items in need of repairs.
- Ability to drive to and from job sites.
- Tolerance to all extremes of hot and cold weather, as may be necessary.
- Tools: Must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following:
- Hand tools: Various wrenches, screwdrivers, grips, sledge hammer, hammer, snips, post hole diggers, saws, etc.
- Power Tools: Wrenches, grinder, sander, drill, saws, etc.
- User-Moved Aids: Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, stepladders, full ladders, double ladders.
- Mechanical Equipment: Motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand-powered augers, etc.
- Measuring Devices: Voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, etc.
- Transportation: Must have dependable vehicle to transport tools and equipment to job sites. Must provide proof of liability insurance for same with Bondable and Valid Driver’s License
- BA degree preferred, or equivalent business experience
- 2-4 years of experience in maintenance, with preference for multifamily or residential projects
- Understanding and usage of Gmail, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Understanding of Property management software or Appfolio
- Ability to exercise quick and accurate judgment and maintain confidentiality
- Effective in conflict resolution and customer service
- Effectively prioritizes numerous requests and incoming information, ensuring appropriate level of response and urgency is given to each
- An effective and proactive problem-solver, able to analyze all situations thoroughly in order to anticipate problems before they arise
- Ability to set priorities with a strong attention to detail
- Able to manage multiple-step procedures and handle frequent interruptions in work flow and work under pressure to meet firm and changing deadlines
- Must be articulate and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Is receptive to feedback, a fast-learner, self-motivated and proactive communicator
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with a diverse group of staff.
- Exhibits integrity, positivity, professionalism and composure at all times in all situations