ISB is seeking an Innovation Manager to manage our 1) technology transfer program, including licensing agreements and business development; 2) intellectual property portfolio and patents; and 3) contracts and agreements. This requires critical thinking, ingenuity and creative energy along with discretion and confidentiality.
- Technology Transfer: Works with ISB faculty and researchers to identify and develop technology transfer, business and licensing opportunities. Reviews ISB invention disclosures and assists in the preparation and filing of patent applications.
- Intellectual Property Management: Serves as liaison between ISB inventors and patent counsel and liaises between ISB investigators, collaborating institutions and funding agencies on IP related issues. Manages patent documents, agreements, patent annuities, and correspondence. Provides IP training and assists with patent/trademark and copyright filing and prosecution matters.
- Contracts and Agreements: Reviews, drafts, negotiates, and administers a wide-variety of contracts and agreements, including collaborative research, material and data transfer, non-disclosure, inter-institutional, consulting, and licensing/assignment agreements. Develops and executes ISB subaward agreements and assists with subrecipient monitoring activities.
- Compliance Support: Works collaboratively with the Associate Director of Compliance and Health & Safety Manager/Institutional Safety Officer to ensure adherence to compliance and safety regulations, including Export Control. Assists in the development of and administration of procedures and practices relating to the implementation of ISB policies.
- Miscellaneous: Maintains currency in areas of responsibility. Proactively advises the Director of Sponsored Projects on developments in related fields and works directly with the ISB President and COO on business development, technology transfer and various agreement.
Other duties as assigned
Minimum BA/BS degree in biotechnology, life sciences or a closely related field and 3 years experience in business development, contract management or intellectual property management, or an equivalent combination of relevant education, and experience. Experience with contract management database, such as iContracts, is highly desirable.
Must possess excellent oral and written communication and negotiation skills, ability to prepare and administer legal agreements and conduct related correspondence, and the ability to coordinate multiple projects to meet deadlines. Must have competence to research and make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with ISB standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation and government law. Candidate must be able to take a collaborative, nimble, and action/results-oriented approach to conducting business.
All ISB staff members are expected to have baseline technical skills and the ability to communicate effectively and appropriately over email, the intranet/forum, etc. ISB uses a variety of platforms including Windows, Mac, Unix, but employees should be able to use Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint or open source equivalents at a functional level.
ISB is an EOE (M/F/disabled/minority/veteran status).