Administrative Specialist II (Elections Specialist - Russian and Somali)
This is an amazing opportunity to be engaged in the election process!
This recruitment will be used to fill two career service Administrative Specialist II positions for the Russian and Somali languages. This recruitment may also be used to create a list of candidates to fill current and future career service positions over the next 6 months.
The Department of Elections - is searching for energetic and resourceful professionals who like to "get stuff done". The Administrative Specialist II positions in the Voter Services Department combines an exciting, fast-paced environment with the opportunity to cultivate talents and apply a variety of skills. The ideal candidate will have a desire to help ensure the democratic process through public service. They will thrive in an innovative environment and will not hesitate to roll up both sleeves, work hard, have fun, and get the job done.
King County Elections (KCE) manages voter registrations and elections for more than 1.4 million voters in King County, the largest vote-by-mail county in the United States. KCE's mission is to conduct accessible, secure, and accurate elections. As a leader in providing inclusive elections, KCE is focused on three key priorities – (1) actively identifying and working to remove barriers to voting at both the individual and community level, (2) strengthening relationships with community and governmental partners, and (3) creating a culture of professional growth and development, openness and inclusion. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx .
Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public and all King County employees. This position is open until filled. Applications submitted by September 28th will be part of the first round of review.
Work Location(s): This position will work at Renton Elections Building located at 919 SW Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057. The position will also be frequently requested to work at additional off-site voting and registration centers throughout the county.
Work Schedule: This position is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is overtime eligible. The workweek is typically 35 hours per week, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. We require the flexibility to work additional hours during peak periods of the Election cycle that may occur outside of typical business hours.
Materials Required to Apply: A completed online King County employment application at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs and a Resume is required with your submission.
- Job Duties
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers in person, via telephone, and via e-mail by processing voter registrations, communicating election program information and explaining election procedures, guidelines and regulations.
- Provide backup support for translation and/or interpreting and proof election-related documents and web materials from English to Russian or English to Somali. This includes but is not limited to voter registration information, letters, and other correspondence (notice of elections, ballot titles, voters' pamphlet information, candidate statements, ballot measures, resolutions and related materials, etc.) to limited English speaking (LES) voters.
- Perform production-level computer work which includes accurate data entry, retrieving and editing records.
- Organize and coordinate work activities and assist with providing training and one-on-one instruction to diverse staff.
- Set up records and file documents in both electronic and paper formats.
- Review documents for proper format, accuracy, completion, eligibility, and other legal guidelines.
- Audit work group data entry activities to ensure performance quality and efficiency of work.
- Utilize spreadsheets, word documents and reports to track and document performance data.
- Research and resolve questions from staff, citizens and stakeholders.
- Document and improve work processes, procedures and instructions.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Demonstrated ability to enter a high a volume of data into a production application with speed and accuracy. Strong attention to detail with the ability to perform the repetitive tasks required for data entry.
- High level of Russian or Somali language skills including interpreting, reading, writing and speaking in both English and Russian or English and Somali. (Candidates will be tested to determine translation skills and language proficiency.)
- Demonstrated comfort with the use of personal computers, email and electronic record filing systems to create correspondence and spreadsheets, send and receive information, access and analyze data, and develop reports and outreach materials.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others on the team and in and outside of the department.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the integrity and confidentiality of the position.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service through effective verbal and written communication. This can be demonstrated through establishing and maintaining effective relationships and building rapport with a variety of people through active, attentive listening, and respect for differing backgrounds and points of view.
- Demonstrated ability to receive feedback with grace and introspection and incorporate it into making meaningful changes.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly when facing new situations and opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to approach tasks with energy and a sense of urgency, take on new opportunities, and handle tough situations.
- Demonstrated ability to switch between tasks with little to no notice and be able to manage competing priorities.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite – specifically Word and Excel.
- Initiative in taking on new tasks and projects.
- Familiarity with diverse communities and direct community based or customer service based experience is preferred.
- Supplemental Information
Travel to work locations throughout King County with limited or no public transportation services is required. A valid Washington State Driver's License is required to operate King County vehicles.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The duties in this position are performed in an office setting and may be required to lift at least 25 pounds.
UNION: This position is represented by Teamsters Local 117, Professional & Technical and Administrative Employees.
Temporary Telecommuting Requirement
The work associated with this position will be performed through a combination of teleworking complemented with onsite work and meetings as needed. Employees must reside in Washington state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required, including the wearing of masks in some situations. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team that is redefining how we work as we transition to the department's hybrid environment.
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Sr. HR Business Partner
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Please rate your experience using Microsoft Office Suite - specifically Excel, Word and Outlook.
02Please indicate below which of the following areas you have working experience in (select all that apply).
- No experience
- Beginner, some use
- Intermediate, frequent use and average skill
- Advanced, extensive use and excellent skill
03Please check one of the following that "best" describes your keyboarding skills.
- Entering a high volume of data
- Performing repetitive tasks that required high attention to detail
- Providing customer service to internal and external customers (general public)
- Providing customer service to people of differing backgrounds and points of view
- Interact with customers in person, over the phone, and through e-mail
- Creating or maintaining spreadsheets
- None of the above
04This position requires experience in the translation of documents from English to Russian or English to Somali. Please select the language(s) in which you have experience in translating documents.
- I can type 60 words per minute or more
- I can type between 35 to 59 words per minute
- I can type between 10 to 34 words per minute
- I know the keyboard, less than 10 words per minute
- None of the above
05This position is required to translate or proof election related document, policies, procedures, codes, regulations and other relevant sources, to internal and/or external customers in writing. Please select the areas in which you are able to perform fluently in Russian or Somali:
- None of the above
06Please describe your English to Russian or English to Somali translation experience. Please be specific and include when and where you translated, the organizations and/or agencies, whether it was written or oral translation, and the difficulty and/or types of materials translated. If you do not have this experience type N/A.07Please describe any translation related education, training, or certification in Russian or Somali that you have received. If you do not have this experience type N/A.08Which of the following best describes your response to the following question: Are you applying to this position as a Priority Placement Program Participant and is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time and do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
- None of the above
09If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Program participant, to be considered you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff10This application requires the attachment of a RESUME. If you have not provided it yet, you may still do so before final submission of the application. Did you submit a resume for this job application?
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff AND the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of full-time status when compared to this one.