Administrative Specialist II
This position is a special duty/term-limited temporary assignment expected to last one year with the possibility of extension. This position provides a variety of administrative services in support of the Solid Waste Division's Operations section. Operations is based at the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill in Maple Valley, Washington, with a staff of approximately 280 employees. Operations manages all 8 transfer stations, 7 closed landfills, and a 920-acre active landfill.
WHO MAY APPLY: This position is open to all qualified applicants. King County and The Solid Waste Division (SWD) values diverse perspectives and life experiences. The Division encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans.
FORMS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED: Submit your applications online at http://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs by completing (1) a King County application form, (2) resume and (3) a letter of interest detailing your background and describing how your education and experience meets the qualifications and has prepared you to perform the essential functions of the job.
SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants that possess the most competitive background in directly related experience, knowledge, and training may be called for interviews and skills test in Microsoft Office applications.
WORK LOCATION: Primary location: Cedar Hills Landfill, 16645 228th Avenue SE, Maple Valley, WA. This position may require you to travel to different locations throughout the county to assist Operations management with training, meetings, clerical support, and other duties as assigned.
WORK SCHEDULE: This full-time position works a 40 hour work week, Monday through Friday. This position is overtime eligible. This position may be required to work extended and/or flexible hours to respond to service needs.
- Job Duties
• Schedule, maintain, and track calendars for managers/supervisors, staff, conference rooms, and equipment.
• Provide technical support and assistance on use of office equipment, arranging for service and maintenance of equipment when necessary.
• Set up and coordinate internal, external, on- and off-site meetings.
• Inventory supplies and order and distribute; maintain MSDS binder as needed. Administer supply budget and process invoices.
• Support managers with responding to public records requests.
• Coordinate and format internet/intranet postings/mailings and format materials for posting/mailing; may post to intranet. Maintain procedures for intranet updates.
• Set up and maintain section files and library; administer archive protocol and archiving of materials to include following procedures for the destruction of documents.
• Maintain division policies and procedures – physical and electronic. Draft desk procedures and or task lists of duties as needed.
• Perform light mathematical calculations and process change money orders. Ability to compile data and spreadsheet information for reports and to produce Key Performance Indicators (KPI's).
• Sort and distribute mail, ensure distribution of agendas and other communications by e-mail, fax or by truck. Manage external mass mailings, and maintain Outlook, Excel, and other lists and databases.
• Respond to inquiries through the Customer Response Management software tracking database, coordinate and do all logistics for tours on the hill and at the transfer stations. Greet visitors and direct them to locations necessary to meet their parties.
• Function as a member of the division's administrative team; participate in team projects as assigned. Cross train and back up other administrative staff as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
• Experience in providing a variety of administrative support to multiple supervisors/managers and staff in a complex, multi-unionized, and industrial environment
• Excellent internal and external customer service skills
• Intermediate knowledge of software applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Adobe
• Ability to quickly learn proprietary software
• Basic knowledge of One Drive, SharePoint and Microsoft Teams
• Demonstrated knowledge of office equipment, including laptops, projectors, copiers, printers, scanners, laminators, and faxing
• Demonstrated knowledge of proper English grammar, usage, and spelling
• Ability to multi-task with interruptions, prioritize tasks, and work under deadlines
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Ability to compile data from various sources and produce reports and performance measurements
THE MOST COMPETITIVE CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS:
• Experience providing a variety of administrative support to multiple supervisors/managers and staff in a complex, multi-unionized, and industrial environment
• Knowledge of lean concepts and process improvement
• Working knowledge of the Solid Waste Division's programs and facilities
• Ability to lift 20+ lbs
• Standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time
• Bending, squatting, and reaching
- Supplemental Information
UNION MEMBERSHIP: Positions in this classification are represented by Teamsters, Local 117 Administrative Employees.
CONTACT INFORMATION: If you have any questions about this position, please contact Roxanne Malatesta, Human Resources Analyst at 206-477-5210 or via e-mail at email@example.com OR Jemima McMahon, Human Resources Analyst at 206-477-4002 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the final dose of a vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Do you have experience in providing a variety of administrative support to multiple supervisors/managers and staff in a complex, multi-unionized, and industrial environment?
02If you selected "Yes" above, list the area(s) and name of employer(s) where you have work experience in this area. Do not write "see resume", as it will be considered an incomplete response. If you selected "No" above, type N/A.03What is the highest number of supervisors/managers and staff that you supported simultaneously in one position?
04Do you have working knowledge of the Solid Waste Division's programs and facilities?
- No Experience
- At least 1, but no more than 5 people
- At least 5, but no more than 10 people
- At least 10, but no more than 15 people
- 15 or more people
05Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
06If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.