Administrative Specialist II (Language Services) - Temporary
This is an amazing opportunity to be engaged in the election process!
The Department of Elections is searching for Language translation professionals to support the following languages: Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese. This job posting will be used to fill multiple short term temporary positions to support the Language Services Program. These individuals must be able to read, write and understand at the language proficiency testing level used by the Department.
These positions will translate and proof documents and web materials in Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese; conducts research, and provides administrative support to other election work groups as needed during elections. These positions are expected to begin on May 20, 2020 and last approximately one month.
The Department of Elections is searching for energetic and resourceful Language translation professionals who like to "get stuff done". The Administrative Specialist II position in the Elections Department combines an exciting environment with the opportunity to cultivate talents and apply a variety of skills. The ideal candidate will thrive in an innovative, fast-paced environment and will not hesitate to roll up both sleeves, work hard, have fun, and get the job done.
King County Elections (KCE) manages voter registrations and elections for more than 1.3 million voters in King County, the largest vote-by-mail county in the United States. KCE's mission is to conduct fair, open and accurate elections. As a leader in providing inclusive elections, KCE is focused on three key priorities – (1) actively identifying and working to remove barriers to voting at both the individual and community level, (2) strengthening relationships with community and governmental partners, and (3) creating a culture of professional growth and development, openness and inclusion. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx .
Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, including testing on language proficiency and translation skills, as well as office and computer skills.
Forms and Materials Required: King County online application and answers to the supplemental questions. Applications will be reviewed as received.
- Job Duties
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
- Translate or proof election-related documents and web materials to Spanish, Korean, Chinese or Vietnamese including but not limited to: voter registration information, letters and other correspondence to Limited English Proficiency (LEP) voters including, notice of elections, ballot titles and voters' pamphlet information, candidate statements, ballot measures, resolutions and related materials.
- Review, edit and proofread all translated documents produced by translation service providers and others for accuracy, clarity and consistency.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Fluency in English, including written and verbal communication and understanding of grammar.
- Must be able to read, write and understand one of the following 4 languages at the department's language proficiency testing level: Spanish, Korean, Chinese or Vietnamese.
- High level of language experience including interpreting, reading and writing into one of the 4 languages (Candidates will be tested to determine translation skills).
- Office and computer skills including the use of Word, Excel, and Outlook. (Candidates will be tested on office and computer skills.)
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to follow direction.
- Flexibility in the workplace and with weekly schedule.
- Professional experience translating technical, legal, educational and/or political documents from English into one of the 4 languages.
- Supplemental Information
Travel to work locations throughout King County with limited or no public transportation services is required. A valid Washington State Driver's License is required to operate King County vehicles.
TESTING: Candidates who meet the qualifications will be invited in for testing. Testing will consist of the following: data entry, physical agility, language speaking and listening, and performing written translations on a computer using a language keyboard.
UNION: This position is represented by Teamsters Local 117, Professional & Technical and Administrative Employees.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The duties in this position are performed in an office setting and may be required to lift at least 25 lbs.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Sr. HR Business Partner
King County is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer and we encourage people of color, women, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01This position is required to translate or proof election related document, policies, procedures, codes, regulations and other relevant sources, to internal and/or external customers in writing. Please check the language(s) you are able to read and write fluently:
02Please give a detailed description of your written translation experience in Spanish, Korean, Chinese or Vietnamese. Please be specific and include when and where you translated, the organizations and/or agencies, and the difficulty and/or types of materials translated. If you do not have this experience type N/A.03Please describe any translation related education, training, or certification in Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, or Chinese that you have received.04Please rate your level of experience using Microsoft Office Suite - specifically Excel and Word.
- None of the above
05Please check one of the following that "best" describes your keyboarding skills.
- No experience
- I can type 60 words per minute or more
- I can type between 35 to 59 words per minute
- I can type between 10 to 34 words per minute
- I know the keyboard, less than 10 words per minute