Administrative Specialist II (Term-Limited Temporary)
WHO MAY APPLY:
This position is open to the public as a term-limited temporary assignment and to King County employees as a special duty assignment.
DURATION: This term-limited temporary position is eligible for benefits, and is expected to last approximately 6-9 months
WORK LOCATION: Property Management Unit near downtown Seattle; located at: 4623 7th Ave, Seattle.
WORK SCHEDULE: Typical work schedule is 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday. This position is overtime eligible with prior supervisor approval.
King County Sheriff's Office has an outstanding opportunity for the position of Term-Limited Temporary Administrative Specialist II at the Property Management Unit. This classification performs a wide variety of office support and clerical duties and activities in support of the Property Management Unit, providing a high level of customer service to the public and internal staff. The position will also work with the Records Unit assisting with public disclosure requests.
- Job Duties
The Administrative Specialist II perform a series of technical office support work under general supervision. The responsibilities and functions of the Term-Limited Temporary Administrative Specialist II classification include but are not limited to the following duties:
- Provide front line customer service to both internal and external customers over the telephone, in writing and/or in person on matters that may be technical, complex or sensitive in nature.
- Obtain, verify and maintain data and information; making sure proper storage and dissemination of information is followed. Data and information will be found through various sources, such as physical and electronic records, maps, contracts, microfilm, spreadsheets and database applications.
- Ensure the appropriate disposition of evidence and/or exhibits follow clearly established defined methods and guidelines.
- Oversee the use and distribution of supplies and equipment; maintain, inventory, order, collect and distribute appropriately.
- Compose, draft, proofread and/or edit documents, contracts, and/or correspondence to ensure established procedures and appropriate standards of writing are met.
- Manage and review documents and paper flow, including data entry and scanning and uploading files to an electronic system.
- Respond and process mail appropriately. Identify priority and/or time-sensitive matters and maintain security and confidentiality.
- Schedule meetings and maintain calendars for supervisor and/or organizational unit/program; may take meeting minutes.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
This position requires skill in supporting an operational department/unit with a wide variety of administrative and clerical duties. Required demonstrated qualifications include:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to provide program-specific information such as rules, regulations and policies; to customers via in-person, telephone, or written communications, including greeting visitors, screening calls, scheduling meetings, directing and responding to public and internal requests.
- Skilled in providing customer service to a diverse population, both citizens and internal employees. Provide professional written communication and excellent customer service in person and over the phone.
- Effectively convey complex information related to rules, regulations and policies verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in entering and tracking data; such as; searching, retrieving, logging and filing records from databases, electronic files and hard copy files.
- Writing skills sufficient to compose, edit and maintain a variety of documents, reports and correspondences using correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and proofread work carefully.
- Strong initiative and accountability in tracking work assignments, prioritizing workload, adapting to changes and following through on assignments.
- Ability to carry out assignments using standard office equipment such as personal computer, copier, fax, multi-line telephone.
- Detailed oriented with great attention to quality and accuracy to accurately enter and track data, perform and verify mathematical calculations, sort and route mail.
- Experience with or knowledge of inventory procedures to order and distribute supplies/equipment, knowledge of basic accounting skills.
- Good keyboarding skills with experience using MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook and database applications or other relevant software (minimum of 35 WPM).
- Must pass thorough background investigation, including a polygraph
TO APPLY: Please carefully review the list of required materials before submitting your application.
Review the list of KCSO Automatic Disqualifiers and verify your qualification for employment with King County Sheriff's Office.
- King County Application (applying online satisfies this)
- Cover letter
- Complete answers to all the supplemental questions.
Jessica Lussier, Human Resources Analyst - Senior
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position is represented by PSEU: Public Safety Employees Union.
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01You must be a current US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident to apply for civil service positions with the King County Sheriff's Office. Are you now a United States citizen?
02Can you read, write and speak the English language?
03The King County Sheriff's Office maintains a list of automatic disqualifiers for employment. This list can be accessed by clicking on this link Automatic Disqualifiers. Please review the disqualifiers and respond to the following question before proceeding. Do you certify that based on your review of the automatic disqualifiers that you are qualified for employment with the King County Sheriff's Office? Note - This information will be verified prior to scheduling an oral board interview.
04The background of all King County Sheriff's Office employees and applicants are thoroughly checked. The required background investigation will review and evaluate driving records, criminal records, criminal behavior, employment histories, military records, personal and employment references, and related information. Candidates who pass the initial background investigation will be required to complete a polygraph, medical and psychological exam. Are you willing to undergo a background investigation and polygraph and psychological examination as part of the employment process?
05Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to DRUGS: •As an adult, convicted of any felony drug crime •Any use of heroin or methamphetamines •Any possession or use of GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate) or any other "date rape" drug (includes, but not limited to; Ketamine or Rohypnol), including giving it to others •Any use of illegal drugs within three (3) years of application (other than juvenile or one-time experimentation). Illegal drugs include but are not limited to; cocaine, ecstasy, molly, MDMA (club drugs), spice, mushrooms, or Khat, or illegal use of prescription drugs (including steroids). •Illegal use of four (4) or more different controlled substances as an adult within the past ten (10) years •Any instance of manufacturing or cultivating illegal drugs for the purpose of sale or distribution •Use of any illegal drugs while employed in a criminal justice capacity •Obtaining a prescription under false pretenses •Any instance of illegally using a drug after applying to any Law Enforcement agency •Marijuana use will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis; however, to increase the likelihood of continuing in the hiring and background process, an applicant should not have used marijuana in the last 12 months
06Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to DRIVING: •Conviction of Driving/Physical Control Under the Influence within the last three (3) years •Conviction of Driving/Physical Control Under the Influence more than once will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis •As an adult, conviction of Attempting to Elude, or Hit and Run •As an adult, conviction of Reckless or Negligent Driving 1st degree in the last three (3) years •Driving While License Suspended/Revoked, convictions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis
07Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to MILITARY: A dishonorable discharge
08Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to CRIMINAL ACTIVITY: •Any adult felony convictions •Any adult misdemeanor conviction for crimes involving theft, violence, or crimes of dishonesty (including, but not limited to, perjury, forgery, impersonation, bribery, witness intimidation/tampering, or tampering with evidence) •All other misdemeanor convictions as an adult within the last three (3) years •Any conviction for a sex-related crime, including crimes involving a minor or individual with a disability, including pornography •Any instance of required registration as a sex offender, regardless of conviction status •Any conviction for animal cruelty as defined by RCW 16.52.205 •Any conviction for a violation of a court No-Contact, Protection, or Harassment Order •Any candidate currently named as a Respondent in any No-Contact, Protection, or Harassment DV Order
09Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: Any conviction for any crime classified as a Domestic Violence offense10What is your proficiency with Microsoft Office applications - Word, Excel and Outlook?
- Basic - Will need Training
- Beginner - Up to 1 year experience in all 3 applications
- Intermediate - Moderate use with 2-3 years' experience in all applications
- Fully proficient in all three applications, used daily with over 3 years of experience