Administrative Specialist III
- An administrative professional super star with an action orientation and strong analytical, communication, and problem solving skills?
- A multi-tasker, organized and attentive to detail with strong prioritization skills and interest in administrative processes and procedures?
- Genuinely interested in working in a team-centered environment?
- Technically savvy? Can you successfully use Microsoft products, databases and computer applications/portals and business tools?
If so, then read on to see if this Term-Limited Temporary (TLT) or Special Duty position is right for you.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement:
As of October 18, 2021, most* King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If promoted, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation. This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE:
As the only regional governments in the world named after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nation's history, King County is a vibrant international community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the traditions of many cultures.
We have a deep commitment to equity and social justice and advancing practices, strategies and policies that promote fairness, justice and opportunity for all – in our workplaces and our communities. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda to advance regional change and ensure that residents from vulnerable communities are incorporated into our emergency planning and public outreach efforts.
The selected candidate will integrate King County's Equity and Social Justice principles into the daily functions of this position.
The Department of Assessments and King County value diverse perspectives and life experiences. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans.
The Department of Assessments values innovation, creativity and engagement among its employees, and actively promotes organizational improvement and new approaches to existing operations and issues.
- Job Duties
ABOUT THE JOB:
This position serves a vital role in meeting our mission of ensuring fair and equitable property tax administration and values. This role involves providing technical, administrative and customer support to the public and seniors applying for exemptions. The ability to be flexible, adapt to a changing daily routine and process a large volume of daily work while maintaining a production schedule, all while in a remote, telework environment. Daily interaction with staff and the public requiring collaborative, analytical, customer service, and application processing and research skills. The successful applicant who accepts this position will work a 4 days per week schedule, 8.75 hours per day schedule for thirty-five (35) hours per week.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The position will be the Administrative Specialist III in the Accounting Division’s Senior Exemptions/Public Information Unit. Reporting to the Accounting Division Director and Senior Exemptions/Public Information Section Supervisor, the responsibilities of the Administrative Specialist III position include:
The successful candidate will:
- Strong background in administrative support, principals & practice.
- Solid analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team in a collaborative, team-centered environment.
- Strong Customer focus with a dedication to integrity, ethics, trust and values.
- Proficiency and ease in using business productivity tools and cutting edge technology in your everyday work; (We use Microsoft Office Suite and other internal applications & assessment related tools.)
- Exceptional listening skills and the ability to keep up with evolving business needs through flexibility and rapid integration of new concepts.
- A basic understanding of applicable federal, state and local codes, regulations, policies and procedures as they relate to physical & legal property changes.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WITH:
- Customer Focus/Orientation – Demonstrates a dedication and drive towards meeting and exceeding the expectations and requirements of both internal and external customers. Understands the importance of customer input in developing solutions, and can establish and maintain effective and productive professional relationships with customers.
- Problem Solving – Ability to use rigorous logic and analytical methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Uses all pertinent resources to gather information and answers and has the ability to see hidden or masked problems. Demonstrates sound analysis and looks beyond the obvious for a thoughtful solution.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Can relate well to diverse customers, both inside and outside the organization. Ability to build appropriate and effective rapport through constructive and effective professional relationships. Uses diplomacy, tact, and composure to defuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Technical Learning Skill – The ability to pick up on technical ideas and methods quickly and the ability to learn new skills and knowledge.
- Ability to Deal with Ambiguity – Can effectively cope with change and can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty in a manner that does not disrupt work.
- Three (3) years of increasingly responsible office or administrative support experience including at least two (2) years of independent administrative or financial responsibility working within a group or team of professional, technical or management staff
- Knowledge of laws and regulations regarding senior exemption and assessment processes and ability to interpret and apply those laws and regulations, or the ability to interpret other complex laws and regulations and apply those laws, and communicate this information in an understandable manner to tax payers
- Two (2) years of experience using a computer and operation-specific software such as Excel, Work and Outlook, as well as other database programs. This experience should include developing and working with complicated spreadsheets, using form/letter templates, receiving and sending information in these formats via email and updating information in a mainframe database
- Organized, accurate, and attention to detail with a demonstrated ability to prioritize a large volume of work and to complete a multi-task workload both as a team player and independently
- Customer service experience to answer questions, resolve issues; to include assisting angry/hostile customers in a professional and courteous manner
- Supplemental Information
This exciting employment opportunity is open to all qualified applicants. A resume and cover letter and answers to the supplemental questions that explains how your education and experience makes you the best candidate for this position are required.
Please contact Richard Watson, at 206-263-2356, or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding this opportunity.
WORK LOCATION: The primary work location for this position is the King County King Street Center, 201 S. Jackson St., 7th Floor, Seattle, WA. Remote, telework is currently required for this assignment, with the possibility of some in office work based upon business necessity and assignments.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is performed mainly in an office and remote telework setting. Our offices in the King County King Street Center operate under a fragrance, plant and scent free policy. This policy is intended to promote a safe and healthy work environment for all employees. Any employee selected for this promotional assignment will be required to comply with this policy. See above for COVID-19 vaccination requirements.
TEMPORARY TELECOMMUTING REQUIREMENT
The work associated with this position will be performed remotely, with some required in office support to our staff, at least through December 31, 2021 in compliance with King County’s telecommuting mandate. It is possible that the work will be primarily performed remotely on an ongoing basis after December 31, 2021 depending upon organizational needs.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Employees must reside in WA state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements. There will be situations where the employee is required to report to a County worksite. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer.
To support employees during this time King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
Sound interesting? Put your skills to work!
This position is represented by OPEIU, L8.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff03I certify that the statements made by me on the application and supplemental questions are, to the best of my knowledge, true, complete and correct. I understand that any misrepresentation or material omission of fact on this or any other document required by King County may constitute grounds for rejection, or if employed by King County, for disciplinary measures, including dismissal.
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.