King County Metro Transit is searching for a self-motivated individuals with good judgment, an eye for accuracy, and professional integrity to provide complex and critical administrative support for our Vehicle Maintenance team.
This position is a Career Service position.
King County Metro Transit is a regional leader in helping people move quickly throughout the region, reducing commuter stress, greening the environment, and radically improving urban air quality, by providing comfortable, effective transit services for the thousands of commuters and other residents of King County, Washington. Working for Metro means working for a leader in this nation's public transportation industry.
If you want to see your skills make an immediate impact on a group performing critical work to Metro Transit, now is the time to apply!
- Job Duties
Applying equity and social justice principles that exemplify shared values, behaviors, and practices to all aspects of the work is a daily responsibility and a foundational expectation for all King County employees.
As the Administrator II, you will:
- Perform complex and critical administrative support, providing lead administrative support and secretarial duties for the managers and other professional staff.
- Be the delegated authority to independently handle many daily administrative support duties for and on behalf of the managers.
- Gather data for analysis and perform preliminary analysis on project work and production of rebuilt components.
- Serve as liaison between the manager and internal and external groups or individuals.
- Maintain confidentiality while earning trust and respect of co-workers through honesty, integrity, and professionalism in all interactions.
- Maintain group calendar, schedule meetings, take notes, prepare and distribute meeting minutes, track and log trainings, create and maintain distribution lists and provide support with necessary equipment.
- Maintain and update data and materials related to division functions by utilizing MS Word, Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, PowerPoint, Excel, and specialized database systems (i.e. Oracle EBS, Peoplesoft, or similar such software).
- Maintain organized, accurate, and accessible records and filing systems, including complex records, correspondence, and related documents. Filing systems include digital and physical documents.
- Monitor and maintain inventory, order, collect and distribute supplies.
- Use a County purchasing card and requisition on behalf of work group, as necessary.
- Prepare forms required for personnel transactions, requisition forms, purchase orders, and expense reports.
- Compose, draft, type, proofread and edit documents, contracts and/or various correspondence to ensure they conform to the appropriate use of the English language, King County Editorial Style Guide and internal established procedures.
- Scan and file documents and ensure the upkeep of filing systems.
- Maintain electronic tracking mechanisms and tickler file systems to track correspondence, inquiries, requests, and reminders from various sources.
- Arrange and prepare travel and training documents/logs.
- Assist with special projects as needed and perform other duties as assigned.
Important: This role is in person and will work from 6:00am-2:00pm PST.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
We are looking for candidates who have:
- Strong background in administrative support and ability to use good judgment in making independent decisions with a high degree of tact and diplomacy; OR an equivalent background of education and experience.
- Demonstrated customer service skills, and ability to work and communicate with diverse groups of customers in person, verbally, and written ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion when handling sensitive information.
- Knowledge of basic principles of project management and data collection practices, procedures and techniques.
- Ability to develop, prepare, and maintain complex database reports, including charts, graphs, and tables.
- Excellent organizational skills are required to work on a number of projects simultaneously and to complete projects within specified deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively problem solve, apply good judgment and initiative. Skilled in the use of personal computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, PowerPoint, and Adobe.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail. Proven ability to multi-task and remain organized in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines and changing priorities.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or other similar payroll and time-keeping software.
- Knowledge of Oracle or other similar financial software. Knowledge of Laserfiche or equivalent electronic filing system.
- Experience with BI Launchpad and Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) reporting. Knowledge of Metro Transit policy & procedures.
- Knowledge of Lean/Continuous Improvement principles.
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
Administrator II (C4: PROTEC17-P&T-MTD)
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Application & Selection Process
An online employment application and cover letter describing your interest, and answers to the supplemental questions are required. If there is not a cover letter attached, you may be disqualified from the review process.
Applications will be screened for completeness, writing accuracy, and competitiveness. Any additional attachments will not be reviewed or considered. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in one or more interviews.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01What is your proficiency with Microsoft Office applications - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook?
02Do you have experience in project management?
- Little to none- Will need Training
- Beginner - Up to 1 year experience in all 3 applications
- Intermediate - Moderate use with 2-3 years experience in all applications
- fully proficient in all three applications, used daily with over 3 years of experience
03Are you applying to this position as an eligible current or previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant? Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff? Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
04If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff05I herby certify that all information provided on this application is truthful.
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County and I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. Additionally, the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.