Aquatic Facility Coordinator - Assistant
This posting has been re-opened and will be open until filled.
Be a part of King County Parks! The King County Parks mission is to serve communities and enhance regional quality of life through stewardship of parks, trails, facilities, and public open space in the King County region. Our system consists of more than 200 parks, 175 miles of regional trails, 130 miles of backcountry trails, and 26,000 acres of open space.
Do you love to swim?? We are seeking an Aquatic Facility Coordinator Assistant to work at the King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way WA. This position will assist in developing and coordinating programs, provide lifeguarding and instruction, assist with recruiting and hiring aquatic staff, and coordinating event support. Other key duties include providing for the supervision and safety of pool users and spectators by educating and promoting habits and attitudes that lead to safe recreation, and enforcing safety rules and responding to emergencies in an appropriate manner. This position requires the ability to work with the public in a courteous and professional manner in a variety of situations.
Who May Apply: This opportunity is open to all qualified candidates.
Apply on-line at: www.kingcounty.gov/jobs. Please submit: a completed online King County application including supplemental questions.
For additional information about the work we do in Parks, we invite you to view our King County Parks video: Parks Video
Work Schedule: This position works 40 hours per week and is overtime eligible. Work weeks vary depending on work assignment and shifts will include evening and weekend work.
Selection Process: Applications will be screened for qualifications and completeness. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in the interview process. Please note: we primarily use e-mail to communicate with candidates. Please be sure to check your email for updates in the process.
Sampling of Job Duties:
- Lifeguard recreation programs as scheduled including Lap Swim, Public Swims, Family Swim, Swim Lessons, Community Events and competitive events as needed.
- Teach Swim lessons to individuals of all ages and abilities and develop Learn to Swim Programming.
- Teach American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogen Training and NW Lifeguard Preparation Courses.
- Provide training to staff on facility procedures and protocols, assist with preparing and conducting in-service training for aquatic staff; teach staff recertification classes.
- Coordinate Lifeguards and Swim Instructors throughout the day and develop lifeguard schedule for events and weekends.
- Assist in training and mentoring Lead Lifeguards.
- Coordinate lesson participant instructor evaluations and review with instructors.
- Help organize pool events and assist with pool conversion before and or after events.
- Check and restock needed safety supplies for pool staff.
- Conduct regular safety inspections and water testing.
- Promote good relationships with the public and user groups.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all patrons and staff.
- Communicate with coaches to ensure smooth operations, post team training schedule, and enforce facility training policies.
- Provide Leadership for the Lifeguard Staff; identify and mentor future leaders.
- Ability to educate the public in the rules and policies of the Aquatic Center.
- Enforce rules and policies of the Aquatic Center.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers and to handle difficult situations using discretion, patience, and professionalism.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to positively interact with a variety of people in a diverse work environment.
- Knowledge of aquatic programs and safety procedures.
- Ability to provide safe conditions for the public and to respond to emergency situations.
Qualified candidates will possess current certifications in the following:
- American Red Cross certification in Lifeguard Training, Community First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Trainer (desired)
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer (desired)
- Northwest Lifeguard Preparation Course (desired)
- Struggling victim rescue.
- Submerged victim recovery from the bottom (17.5 feet) of the dive tank with removal and follow-up care.
- Deep water spinal rescue with boarding and removal when access to shallow water is not available.
- Maintain a minimum of 20/40 vision. Use of corrective lenses is acceptable.
- Ability to perform duties involving physical labor; such as bending, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, stooping, squatting, pushing, and twisting.
- Ability to perform strenuous activity.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
Patty Jurgens at email@example.com or 206-477-4572.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Which of the following best describes your response to the following question: Are you applying to this position as a Priority Placement Program Participant and is this position the same or lower percentage of FT and do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff03Please indicate which of the following certifications you currently possess:
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.
04If you do not currently possess one or more of these certifications, do you have the ability to obtain them? Candidates must have these certifications to be eligible for hire.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
- American Red Cross Community First Aid
- American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Northwest Lifeguard Preparation Course certification
- Northwest Lifeguard Certification
- American Water Safety Instructor
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Trainer
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer
- None of the Above
05The work schedule for this position is varied and dependent on events and class schedules. It will require weekends, late evening work and/or split shifts. Are you able to work weekends, evenings and/or split shifts?
06If you answered NO to the above question, please describe any scheduling constraints you may have.