Behavioral Health Support Staff for COVID I/Q Facilities - Social Services Specialist
The Department of Community and Human Services (DCHS) values diverse perspectives and life experiences. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans and those with lived experience.
The Department of Community and Human Services (DCHS) provides equitable opportunities for people to be healthy, happy, self-reliant, and connected to community.
King County Department of Community and Human Services (DCHS) is standing up locations around King County for isolation & quarantine. COVID Recovery and Congregate Care Centers will be providing isolation and quarantine for individuals who are either COVID symptom compatible and pending testing or who are COVID positive and cannot isolate or quarantine where they currently reside. These facilities are voluntary for people who stay there. This position will be part of a 24 hour onsite multidisciplinary team that offers support to guests and each other. Behavioral health support staff will be asked to provide de-escalation and crisis intervention support for guests who experience a behavioral health event. The goal is to support the comfort of the guest and to promote their remaining in quarantine for the time necessary to obtain test negative results and/or complete the isolation period. The majority of these interventions will be completed telephonically.
Who May Apply: The Department of Community and Human Services values diverse perspectives and life experiences. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with lived experiences.
Required Materials: Candidates who wish to be considered for this position must submit an online King County application and respond to the supplemental questions and be available for immediate and ongoing assignments. Your application may be rejected as incomplete if you do not include the requested and relevant information in the online application and supplemental questionnaire. Applications and/or supplemental questionnaires that state, "see my resume" are considered incomplete and will not be considered to be competitive.
Work Schedule/Conditions: THIS IS A TERM-LIMITED POSITION. This applicant pool will be used to fill temporary part time and on call positions. Work schedules may include days, evenings, nights (graveyard), weekends, and holidays. The part time positions typically work three 9.5 hour shifts per week (0.7125 FTE) but could work up to 40 hours a week as needed. This position meets the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is overtime eligible (non-exempt) with prior supervisory pre-approval.
- Job Duties
- Provide behavioral health support to people in isolation and quarantine.
- Facilitate telephone calls to check in with people, listen to concerns, help identify things they need to be comfortable.
- Collaborate with on-site medical team, on-site security team and on-site management.
- Coordinate with existing behavioral health providers to support service planning.
- Offer resources and emotional support.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Either lived or working experience in the behavioral health field.
- Experience forming clinical rapport with individuals with behavioral health disorders.
- Experience with milieu management including de-escalation, crisis management and motivational interventions.
- Must be in good standing with all licensing entities both locally and nationally.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check on a post offer/pre-employment basis.
Licensed Mental Health Professional and/or Substance Use Disorder Counselor.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Describe your experience providing behavioral health services.02Are you licensed in any of the following fields
03Are you a mental health professional as defined in WAC 388-877-0500?
- Mental Health
- Social Work
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- I am not licensed in any of the above fields
04Select what type of position you would like to be considered for.
05King County has transformed its work on equity and social justice from an initiative to an integrated effort that applies the principle "fair and just" intentionally in all the county does in order to achieve equitable opportunities for all people and communities. What role do you see the BH staff playing in advancing King County's equity and social justice goals?
- Full Time (40 hours)
- Part Time (30 hours)
- Either Full Time or Part Time
- Per Diem (On Call)