Business & Finance Officer II
The King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office (PAO) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Business and Finance Officer II. We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced Business and Finance Officer II to perform essential PAO finance functions, and to provide excellent accounting and finance related services to PAO divisions such as monitoring contracts and processing procurement requests, serving as in house business office manager role, processing transactions, and preparing and reviewing financial reports. If you seek enriching, meaningful work and a chance to serve your community while working as part of a collaborative team, this opportunity may be for you.
We value diversity in our team and embrace the cultural and demographic qualities of the King County community. We work to attract and retain a team that represents the range of backgrounds and perspectives that arise from differences of culture and circumstances. We value the ideas and brilliance that come from lived experience. Candidates with such experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office
Our Office Administration is comprised of our Elected Prosecutor, Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff, Finance, IT, Human Resources, Communications, and Victim Services and their respective teams. We provide specialized services to help our four divisions meet their business needs and serve our community. We are guided by our core values of Justice, Integrity, Compassion, Professionalism, and Leadership.
Our mission is to do justice:
- We exercise the power given to us by the people with fairness and humility.
- We serve our diverse community, support victims and families, and hold individuals accountable.
- We develop innovative and collaborative solutions for King County and the State of Washington.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified candidates. This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is therefore not overtime eligible.
Work Location: In person/ telecommuting (Hybrid): King County Courthouse – 516 Third Ave, Seattle.
The PAO requires for all employees to reside in Washington State and within a reasonable distance to their primary county worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Work Schedule: This position works a 40-hour work week schedule, normally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This position is eligible for King County’s generous benefits package.
Telecommuting: This position is eligible for telecommuting except for tasks that require an on-site or in-person presence to fulfill the business needs of the position, unit, division and mission. A county issued laptop will be provided and employees must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours.
Salary: Range 58
(Step One) $39.70- (Step 10) $50.33 Hourly
$3,176.34 - $4,026.19 Biweekly
$82,584.74 - $104,680.99 Annually
Interested individuals must complete the three application components:
1) Submit a resume and cover letter
2) Respond to the supplemental questions
3) Fully complete King County application. **
**Applications and/or supplemental questionnaires that state “see my resume” or are blank, are considered incomplete and will not be considered competitive.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:Karla Avila Vargas (she/her)
Human Resources Associate
Materials will be reviewed for qualifications, and the most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in a panel interview process.
Finalists must successfully submit to a criminal background check, reference check, and be fingerprinted.
- Job Duties
- Assist PAO Finance Team with PAO’s procurement process, while ensuring King County’s procurement requirements are met.
- Serve as Finance Team business manager to work with divisions and PAO IT for PAO office-wide work effort such as printer and copier needs assessment, work plan and purchases/leases, travel and training coordination, and translation services vendor coordination.
- Work with PAO employees and employees in other County agencies to process detailed transactions such as processing invoices and billing, daily check depositions and reconciling PCard purchases and reimbursements to non-employees.
- Assist with PAO Finance Team for other daily operations including processing transactions, accounting and/or financial reporting, and research and address discrepancies, expenditure changes or inconsistencies.
- Assist with reviewing, drafting and revising finance-related policies and procedures as part of the PAO Finance Guidebook to align with Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), King County Financial policies and practices, and with prudent and responsible expenditures that best address the PAO’s need and budget limitations.
- Active participation in PAO equity work, attending equity trainings and discussions, support for the PAO’s Equity and Social Justice policy and principles, work with PAO colleagues and management to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, or related field and five years of experience in contracting and procurement, accounting, budget and finance operations; or a combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the duties of the position required.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles. Grant, contract, or other billing experience and/or knowledge.
- Strong communication skills both orally and in writing. Customer focused with a dedication to providing efficient and value-added services. Ability to work in a team setting and independently.
- Perform accounting functions including reconciling accounts, preparing and reviewing finance reports, monitoring expenditures and preparing budgets. Ability to analyze and research transactions and make recommendations.
- Skill in using Microsoft Office programs and database management software. Experience using Oracle financial system is a plus.
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
The Prosecuting Attorney's Office is dedicated to making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Prosecuting Attorney's Office employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, our office will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
submit proof of vaccination, or
have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the final dose of a vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Persons with disabilities may request special accommodations from the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office in order to participate in a selection process or to perform work once hired. Requests for accommodations should be made as soon as possible. This may be done by a written letter or an appropriate alternative format to our offices, or phone 206-477-1205.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, could like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process. If you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
Tracking Number: 60S-2022-JUN-REG
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01The Prosecuting Attorney's Office requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To meet this requirement, all employees must provide proof of vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
02Are you currently employed by King County?
- I understand this requirement.
- I cannot comply with this requirement.
- N/A, I am a current PAO employee.
03This position performs detailed accounting transactions and finance reporting or procurement. Please describe your specific experience successfully performing these assignments.04Please describe a specific example of customer feedback demonstrating your customer service skills to coordinate team effort for a successful outcome.05Please describe how equity and social justice has influence your work experience over the last five years.