Continuous Improvement Specialist
- THIS RECRUITMENT IS ONLY OPEN TO KING COUNTY CAREER SERVICE (OR APPOINTED) EMPLOYEESThis Special Duty Assignment is currently approved until the end of 2023
The Office of Risk Management Services (ORMS) has an opportunity for a continuous improvement minded leader to join our team in a special duty assignment. This position will be a member of the ORMS Management Team focused on aligning Risk Management’s culture and strategy to achieve its vision and goals.
This role involves daily interaction with the organization at all levels of the department. Successful candidates for this role will be self-starters who have excellent interpersonal skills, a keen attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and solid background in providing administrative support.
- Job Duties
SCOPE OF JOB DUTIES: The successful candidate, at a minimum, will demonstrate skill or ability to:
- Lead ORMS through the Lean Maturity Model assessment and develop action plans for improvement.
- Assess ORMS maturity quarterly and ensure ORMS is operating at a level 3 in all 11 categories of the Lean Maturity Model by end of 2022.
- In alignment with the True North and the Department of Executive Services (DES), lead an effort to refresh the vision, mission, and values of ORMS and support ORMS Sections in aligning their mission and values to the ORMS Division and DES.
- Using the King County Operating System as a guide, develop an operating system concept for ORMS that defines how we accomplish our Division priorities with equity, transparency, accountability, and continuous improvement. It should incorporate our values, Annual Plan, Risk Appetite, budget, and support the future of work and employee engagement.
- Once systems and action plans are established, support implementation and lead ongoing evaluation and improvement work.
- While this position does not have direct reports, it will manage important work in the Division and have the authority to direct work and set expectations and deliverables.
- Represent ORMS at DES and King County leadership meetings as needed.
- Work with the DES Deputy Director on DES Organizational Alignment at the Department level.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO:
- Have strong project management experience.
- Have knowledge of and familiarity with King County’s Risk Appetite and general Risk management principles.
- Are able to lead with County True North values and behaviors. Translate vision into tangible outcomes and goals.
- Are forward thinkers in ESJ priorities and commitments, and how to integrate them into ORMS business.
- Are able to get work done through others, without operational or direct authority over them – (manage up, down, and sideways).
- Are receptive to different points of view. Able to inspire and motivate and work collaboratively with a team.
- Be able to persevere and adapt as required, while working in a multi-faceted and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Supplemental Information
This recruitment opportunity is open to all current King County Career Service (or Appointed) Employees only. A King County application is required. We highly encourage applicants to include a resume and letter of interest with your submission.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Josh Isgur at email@example.com.
The work associated with this position will be performed remotely. Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours.
Employees must reside in WA state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements. There will be situations where the employee is required to report to a County worksite. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer.
To support employees during this time King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
This Special Duty Assignment is not represented by a union and is designated Exempt under the FLSA, which means it is not eligible for overtime pay.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.