Control Room Technician
The Part-time Control Room Technician position works at the King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, WA, and is responsible for operating timekeeping equipment and processing other official aquatic event information. This position is considered a technical expert and is responsible for using multiple specialized software applications and programs and providing technical assistance to co-workers and customers at aquatic events. This work is very precise and requires great attention to detail and requires a high level of customer service under demanding circumstances. Individuals interested in joining our team must be committed to racial, social and economic equality for ALL people in King County. We welcome applications from people who will help us consistently demonstrate the values of equity, respect and partnership.
About King County Parks: Be a part of King County Parks! King County Parks has evolved from 150 acres in 1938 to more than 28,000 acres. Our mission is to steward, enhance and acquire parks to inspire healthy communities. We seek to cultivate strong relationships with community partners to enhance park amenities for all King County residents to enjoy today and for generations to come.
The Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center is one of our facilities. This 2,500-seat facility maintains one of the most active competition schedules in the country, hosting more than 50 aquatic events annually. It has been the site of Olympic Trials, top national and international competitions, and the Pacific Northwest's premiere events. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/parks.
And check us out on the socials at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Flickr.
Who is Eligible: This position is open to all qualified candidates.
Work Location: King County Aquatics Center, 650 SW Campus Dr., Federal Way, WA 98023. The work associated with this position will be performed on-site.
Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer.
Work Schedule: The work schedule for this position is varied and event dependent. It requires weekend and late evening work and may include long workdays and split shifts. This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is overtime eligible.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
We are seeking candidates with experience and knowledge of:
- Database software applications.
- Ability to apply standards, policies, and procedures associated with aquatic events.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, provide excellent customer service, and the ability to positively interact with a variety of people in a diverse work environment.
- Ability to prioritize work load, adapt to changes, and provide high level of accuracy.
- Ability to learn and master operation of Omega sports equipment and software within 2 months.
- Ability to sit, stand, and walk for shifts up to 12 hours.
- Sports Management software such as Hy-tek.
- OMEGA sport equipment including swimming, diving, synchro, and water polo.
- Knowledge of operating LED videowall scoreboards.
- Supplemental Information
Application and Selection Process: Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness including online application, and responsiveness to the list of qualifications, skills, and abilities.The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in a panel interview process.
Applications without the following required materials may not be considered for this position.
- King County application
- Responses to supplemental questions
Union Representation: This position is not represented.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Patty Jurgens at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 477-4572
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant And Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff03Describe your experience officiating or managing aquatic or other sporting events. If you do not have this experience, indicate "N/A".04Do you have experience operating OMEGA sports timing equipment, or similar equipment, for swimming, diving, water polo and synchronized swimming events?
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.
05If you answered YES to the previous question, please explain your experience.06Do you have experience operating specialized and/or complex software/program applications such as Hy-Tek Meet Manager?
07If you answered YES to the previous question, please explain your experience.08If you answered YES to the previous question, please explain your experience.