Customer Service Specialist II
*This is a special duty assignment (SDA) or Term Limited Temporary (TLT) position. This SDA/TLT is expected to last one year, but may be extended based on business needs.*
Are you a dedicated Customer Service Professional? Do you like helping customers, providing assistance and follow through to their questions and needs? If so, we are looking for you!
This Special Duty Assignment/Term Limited Temporary Customer Service Specialist II position will provide customer service in receiving and referring inquiries and/or complaints for the Roads Maintenance Section 24/7 Front Desk. This position involves dialog with the customer to obtain needed information, clarify what is desired, and/or determine how service can best be rendered.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to customer service and desire to solve problems, and will be able to maintain composure and focus in a busy and sometimes hectic work environment.
Please note: This position works four, ten hour days. Saturday thru Tuesday, 9:30 pm - 7:30 am.
To be considered for this opportunity, you must at a minimum, demonstrate knowledge, skill and ability to:
• Answer routine and emergency phone calls, determine the nature of the caller's concerns, the geographic location, enter the information into a computer and/or refer the caller to the appropriate agency in a courteous manner.
• Notify field staff of problems via radio, telephone, and/or e-mail.
• Monitor radio frequency and respond to broadcasts from field personnel and answer phone calls simultaneously.
• Determine the validity, correctness, and completeness of information received and complete proper documentation.
• Maintain and/or retrieve information searches through files, records, maps and computer files.
• Perform data-entry, file documents, send and receive e-mail, access County websites.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
We are looking for candidates who:
• Have demonstrated experience providing high level customer service by dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
• Are able to make fast responses and correct decisions, take charge of conversations, obtain accurate information from callers and make quick decisions regarding the priority to be assigned to emergencies.
• Have demonstrated experience responding to emergencies and/or stressful difficult calls. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Have experience in the use of computers and Microsoft applications to include, but not limited to MS Word, Excel, and the Internet.
• Are able to work independently and under limited supervision.
• Are able to prioritize and manage assignments under close deadlines and changing priorities Willingness and ability to apply King County's core values around inclusion, equity and social justice as a team member and representative of King County to internal and external customers.
Knowledge of Road Maintenance terminology. Knowledge of King County geographic area. Experience working in a Public Works environment.
Ability to report to work during inclement weather
UNION REPRESENTATION: This position is Represented by Local 117- Admin.
PLEASE NOTE: This recruitment is for the purpose of creating a list of the most competitive candidates who may be asked to fill permanent and temporary positions. This list will remain effective for one (1) year from the date it was created.
- Supplemental Information
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
King County is the local service provider for the roughly quarter-million people who live in the unincorporated areas of the county. Taken together, the population in unincorporated King County would be the second-largest city in the state. The Department of Local Services includes a Director's Office and the Road Services and Permitting Divisions. The Director’s Office includes a robust Community Service Area group focused on identifying and responding to the needs of urban and rural unincorporated King County residents and business. The department provides a single executive point of accountability for delivery of local services to all of the unincorporated areas.
ABOUT THE DIVISION
Unincorporated King County is home to roughly a quarter million people. Collectively, these communities would be the second-largest city in the state. Millions more use the roads to access jobs and recreational activities in urban and rural King County. The Roads Services Division is committed to ensuring the county's road system is safe and efficient for all uses and modes of travel.
The division is faced with a long-term structural funding problem, yet is responsible for 1,500 miles of roads and 182 bridges, 5.7 million feet of drainage ditches, over 44,000 traffic control signs, 78 traffic signals, and 50 traffic cameras in unincorporated King County.
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the final dose of a vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Are you ready to APPLY?
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process, or if you have questions, please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
The recruitment for this position is open to all applicants. A completed King County Application is required. We highly recommend that you also provide a cover letter and resume.
If you have any questions, please contact Jen Irwin, Senior HR Analyst, by e-mail at email@example.com, or by phone at 206-263-0601. Connect with Jen on LinkedIn
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.