Dental Administrative Specialist II / Patient Services Representative
The Community Health Services Division of Public Health- Seattle & King County is seeking a Full Time, Administrative Specialist II / Patient Services Representative to join our dynamic, multidisciplinary, and diverse team at Eastgate Public Health Center, in the delivery of health services to the County's most vulnerable people.
At Eastgate we provide family health, pediatrics, parent-child health, dental, teen clinic, health insurance enrollment services and ORCA Lift. We serve a diverse low-income population including people who are experiencing homelessness, recent immigrants and refugees, people with complex health conditions, and people with limited English proficiency. We are mission critical employees and are dedicated to showing up and providing the best care under any and all circumstances.
This position is critical as it supports a broad range of healthcare services in this fast-paced public health center environment that are utilized by economically, socially, and culturally diverse populations. The successful candidate must have excellent and reliable attendance, stellar customer service skills in-person and over the telephone (discretion, patience, etiquette professionalism), and must be an independent self-starter with excellent time management and organizational skills. The candidate must be able to work with supervisors and colleagues to develop and promote a team-centered atmosphere to facilitate operations which are efficient and provide maximum service delivery to clients.
This position will be based out of our Eastgate Health Center and may float to the other four dental clinics (Columbia Downtown, North, Renton,) as needed for business operations. This full-time position is a Career Service position.Who May Apply:This full-time position is open to all qualified applicants.Work Location:14350 SE Eastgate Way, Bellevue, WA 98007Work Schedule:This position will not telecommute.
The normal work schedule for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
This position may float to other clinics when needed to maintain business operations:
Columbia Public Health Center, Dental Clinic
4400 37th Ave. S.
Seattle, WA 98118
Downtown Public Health Center, Dental Clinic
2124 4th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98121
North Public Health Center, Dental Clinic
12359 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
Renton Public Health Center, Dental Clinic
10700 SE 174th, Suite 101
Renton, WA 98055
- Job Duties
- This is a patient facing position that takes place at the Front Desk in the Eastgate Public Health Center Dental Clinic.
- Using the EPIC Electronic Medical Record, fully register and pre-register medical and dental patients
- Schedule patient visits by determining the appropriate provider and program.
- Arrive and check-in patients for appointments, check out and cancel patient appointments
- Verify insurance coverage and correct patient assignment for those with managed care plans
- Explain fee for service and sliding fee schedule to patients
- Process cash and credit card payments
- Verify pharmacy and clinic deposits
- Make reminder calls per clinic standard
- This position will involve active learning and cross-training and will work to support all PH programs.
- Provide program-specific information to internal and/or external customers over the phone and in person
- Maintain client record security and confidentiality
- Maintain cleanliness of workstation, front desk and waiting room
- Answer incoming calls; including logging into the response group to back-up call center calls as needed
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English
- Public Health relies on office automation (Microsoft Office 365) and other web-enabled tools. Candidates must be proficient and comfortable with computer use to perform essential functions of the position.
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Effective communication skills, and development of effective working relationships are requirements of all Public Health positions.
- Ability to provide a consistently high level of customer service with discretion, patience, and professionalism, based on accepted customer service principles and departmental standards.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with colleagues and clients in a pleasant, non-judgmental, respectful, and culturally sensitive manner under varying levels of stress.
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to interact with patients and community members around potentially sensitive issues and/or volatile situations.
- Proficiency in Electronic Practice Management systems that include health records, patient scheduling, and financial transactions or the technological savvy to learn.
- Ability to work both as part of a multi-disciplinary team and independently.
- Skilled at organizing, prioritizing, multi-tasking and adapting to changes in workload.
- Understanding of inclusive engagement as well as equity and social justice principles Experience incorporating these principles into daily work and collaborating with a team to drive program toward racial and social equity goals.
- Able to move up to 25 pounds in order to move boxes, retrieve health records, or replenish office supplies without reasonable accommodation.
- Supplemental Information
- Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, most* King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation. This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.To Apply
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.Application process:
Applications will be reviewed after the job posting closes. The following items are required to be considered for this vacancy:
NEOGOV/Government Jobs on-line or paper application
- Supplemental questionnaire responses
Copy and paste one or more documents into the text resume section of the application.
- Attach multiple documents/files in the resume attachment section.
Your application materials must validate your answers to the supplemental questions. If your answers cannot be validated, you will not proceed to the next steps of the process.
The selected candidate will be required to pass a thorough background investigation.Additional information:
Employees are required to protect the privacy and security of protected health information as defined in State and Federal Law.
Staff may be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities and working hours.
If you need a disability accommodation in the application or testing process, please call the contact number listed on the job announcement.Union affiliation:Local 17.Contact:
For more information about the application process please contact Mark Lacy at Mlacy@kingcounty.gov.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Do you have experience with the EPIC electronic health records system?
02If you answered "yes" to question #1; In what capacity have you used the system? (i.e. check-in and check-out, appointment scheduling, etc.)03If you answered "No" to question #1; Do you have experience with an Electronic Practice Management systems that include health records, patient scheduling, and financial transactions?
04If you answered yes to question #3; Which system do you have experience using? In what capacity have you used the system?05Do you have one or more years of experience working in a healthcare or social service environment?
06If you answered "yes" to question #5, please describe your experience. Include the employer's name, duration of experience, and your position title.07Do you have knowledge of HIPAA?
08If you answered "Yes" to question #7, in your words, describe what HIPAA means.09Are you able to move up to 25 pounds with or without reasonable accommodations?
10Are you bilingual in English and Spanish? Candidates who answer "yes" to this question may be tested on this skill.
11Seattle & King County Public Health has a strong commitment to equity and social justice. All staff are given training in Equity and Social Justice (ESJ) as well as Trauma Informed Care (TIC). Please describe why working for an agency that values ESJ and TIC is important to you.12Please select (check all that apply) Windows-based programs you have used regularly and are proficient in.
13Do you know medical terminology?
- Outlook or equivalent e-mail software.
- Web Browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer)
14If you answered "Yes" to question #13, please describe your experience, including employers name, your position and duration of experience.15Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
16If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.