Dental Assistant (New Position!)
- Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) EmployerNo person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.New) Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, most* King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.To ApplyIf you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.THE POSITIONPublic Health – Seattle & King County is seeking Dental Assistants to join our vibrant & diverse Dental Teams. Dental Assistants work under the supervision of a Dentist or Dental Hygienist and assist in a variety of dental procedures other perform other related duties as required in a dental clinic and/or community setting. This full-time Temporary Term-Limited (TLT) / Special Duty (SD) position serves a patient population that includes low-income children and adults.Term-Limited Temporary positions are "at-will" positions and are eligible for benefits, including health care coverage for employees and their dependents (see benefits tab). This vacancy can also be filled as a Special Duty opportunity.Bilingual Applicants are highly desired.Please note: Public Health- Seattle & King County values diverse perspectives and life experiences. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans.WORK LOCATION:This posting will be used to fill multiple vacancies.This position will work primarily at one of the five dental clinics, listed below.This position will be responsible for staffing at the site they are based out of and will also provide coverage when needed for planned or emergency absences at other sites. We will work with candidates to match their base location with our business need.Downtown Public Health Dental Clinic2124 4th AveSeattle, WA 98121North Dental Clinic12359 Lake City Way NESeattle, WA 98125Columbia Dental Clinic4400 37th Ave SSeattle, WA 98118Eastgate Dental Clinic14350 SE Eastgate WayBellevue, WA 98007Renton Dental Clinic3201 NE 7th StRenton, WA 98056WHO MAY APPLY:This position is open to all qualified applicants.For Special Duty Assignment interest, you must be a Career Service, Career Service Exempt or other regular (non-temporary) employees in King County who have completed their initial County probation. You must have supervisor approval prior to taking a Special Duty Assignment.Candidates who applied for previously posted Dental Assistant positions may be considered for this posting.WORK SCHEDULE:The work schedule varies slightly based on work location with Columbia, Downtown, Eastgate, North,and Renton on an 8:00am-5:00pm schedule; This position is full-time at 40 hours per week (1.0 FTE). This position is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is overtime eligible.
For more information regarding the application process, please contact Debbie Baker, HR Analyst at email@example.com or 206-263-4053.
APPLICATION PROCESS:Applications will be reviewed after the job posting closes. The following items are required to be considered for this vacancy:
- NEOGOV/Government Jobs on-line or paper application
- Supplemental questionnaire responses
- Copy or photo of current CPR/AED (BLS) certification, if you have it
- Copy and paste one or more documents into the text resume section of the application.
- Attach multiple documents/files in the resume attachment section.
- This selection process may include but is not limited to: evaluation of application materials and supplemental questions, testing and interviewing. For more information on our selection process, please refer to http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/jobs.aspx
- Public Health relies on office automation (Microsoft Office) and web-based enabled tools, therefore candidates must be proficient and comfortable with computer use to perform functions associated with on-going work.
- Staff may be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities and working hours.
- Regular and reliable attendance, effective communication skills, and development of effective working relationships are requirements of all Public Health positions.
- Job Duties
- Act as a chairside assistant for restorative, oral surgery, endodontic, hygiene and other procedures as needed.
- Take diagnostic quality intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs.
- Provide child prophys. Apply dental sealants in clinical and community settings. Apply topical preventative agents.
- Take and review patient medical and dental history and present relevant info to the Dentist.
- Assist dentist with emergency procedures.
- Perform other duties as allowed by the Washington State Dental Practice Act 18.32.
- Educate patients in oral hygiene and anticipatory guidance health behaviors.
- Maintain patient flow.
- Responsible for accurate completion of encounter forms as per Dental Program Policies and Procedures and Medicaid billing guidelines.
- Accurately document medical record information under the direction of the dentist.
- Maintain patient files.
- Maintain operatories and dental spaces in good working order and ensure compliance with OSHA/WISHA requirements.
- Clean and sterilize dental instruments in accordance with State and Federal requirements.
- Perform routine dental equipment maintenance (clinical and portable) and process repairs.
- Maintain dental supply inventory and ordering.
- Make patient reminder calls and follow up on missed appointments as needed.
- Schedule appointments, greet and reassure clients.
- Complete client registrations, billing, and conduct follow-up with patients as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Current registration as a Dental Assistant in the State of Washington.
- Completion of a recognized Dental Assistant course program or equivalent experience.
- Working knowledge of methods and techniques used in dental assisting.
- Working knowledge of terminology, materials, equipment and instruments used in dentistry.
- Working knowledge of dental radiograph techniques and principles.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage your own and patient schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain patient files and other records in accordance with practice guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage behavioral issues in a dental clinic setting.
- Demonstrated ability to address conflict in a direct and professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with clients of diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds as well as the ability to work with clients for whom English is a second language.
- Experience working with both in-person and telephonic interpreters in a clinical setting.
- Experience in a public/community health center or clinic setting desired.
- Experience with using EPIC patient management software systems to register, check in, check out, collect payments, and schedule clients.
- Applicants bilingual in English and Spanish highly desired.
- Applicants bilingual in English and Arabic, Mandarin, or Cantonese desired.
- Supplemental Information
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The selected candidate will be required to pass a thorough background investigation.
- Employees are required to protect the privacy and security of protected health information as defined in State and Federal Law
- Employees are required to adhere to OSHA/WISHA guidelines including but not limited to completing their mandatory trainings on time.
- A valid Washington State Drivers’ License and/or the ability to travel to locations throughout the King County area in a timely manner with little advance notice.
For information regarding the application process, please contact Debbie Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about the position, please contact Deborah DeQuier- Bowden at Deborah.DeQuier-Bowden@kingcounty.gov or 206-477-0738.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Have you completed a course of study from a recognized Dental Assistant Program?
02If you answered yes to the previous question please list the Dental Assistant Program you completed.03Do you possess a current registration as a Dental Assistant in the State of Washington?
04Do you have the ability to travel throughout King County in a timely manner with little advance notice?
05Do you have a current CPR/BLS certification?
06If you answered yes to the previous question, please upload your certification as an attachment to your application. Did you attach the certification?
07Are you applying to this position as a Priority Placement Program Participant And Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
08If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.