Designer III / IV
Under supervision of an engineer, and with minimal instruction, perform skilled AutoCAD design and drafting duties, specializing in the Civil and MEP, or Instrumentation and Control disciplines, for a wastewater treatment facility program. Routinely perform field inspections and surveys. Research and verify data, develop plans, prepare layouts and final drawings.
WTD is committed to the principles of equity and social justice. We value diverse perspectives and life experiences in our workforce and are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. WTD strives to provide equitable services to residents and businesses across King County.
Who is Eligible: All qualified applicants. Applicants from this recruitment may be considered for other vacancies as they occur. This recruitment maybe also be used for Special Duty Assignments or Term Limited Temporary positions.
The work associated with this position will be performed predominantly by telecommuting, with occasional onsite work and meetings, as influenced by business needs. Employee will have access to shared workspaces at various King County facilities. Employees must reside in WA state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
To support employees during this time King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team.
Work Location: Primarily teleworking and the King Street Center 201 S. Jackson St., Seattle WA 98104. There will be an expectation to travel to various worksites throughout King and South Snohomish County as needed for your work.
Work Schedule: This position is covered under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is overtime eligible. This full-time position works a 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday.
To learn more about the Wastewater Treatment Division click on the below links:
- Job Duties
- Perform engineering design/drafting assignment utilizing a full range of graphic techniques and principles and draft equipment and materials including in preliminary drawings and the preparation of final plans including CAD system.
- Under the direction of senior staff and engineers, produce preliminary graphic layouts and rough cost estimates.
- Make computations using plane geometry, trigonometry and analytic mathematic fundamental.
- Assist in field surveys and inspections. Make on-site measurements for use in the design of project or the preparation of as-built drawings.
- Prepare progress reports, field notes and other data for permanent files.
- Research equipment needs for projects by researching hardware and equipment that meet the specific requirements of new construction or modification projects.
- Perform multi-discipline CAD design and drafting using Autodesk's Civil 3D, Revit, and Plant 3D software
- Perform AutoCAD drafting duties with coordination from engineers and other project team members.
- Utilize a full range of graphic techniques, drafting equipment, and materials to produce drawings.
- Perform field surveys and inspections. Make on-site measurements and markups for use in the preparation of as-built drawings.
- Prepare progress reports, field notes, cross-reference logs and other data for permanent records.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide strong attention to detail and follow-up.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Associate degree, two years of college, or two years of technical school training, in civil or mechanical engineering, drafting or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Drives Results: Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps others achieve results.
Communicates Effectively: Is effective in a variety of communication settings; one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to fit the audience and the message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization. Encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and opinions.
Customer Focus: Gains insight into customer needs. Identifies opportunities that benefit the customer. Builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations. Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
Plans and Aligns: Sets objectives to align with broader organizational goals. Breaks down objectives into appropriate initiatives and actions. Stages activities with relevant milestones and schedules. Anticipates and adjusts effective contingency plans.
Optimizes Work Processes: Identifies and creates the processes necessary to get work done. Separates and combines activities into efficient workflow. Designs processes and procedures that allow managing from a distance. Seeks ways to improve processes, from small tweaks to complete reengineering.
A Valid Washington State Driver's License or the ability to arrange transportation to visit project sites on short notice.
- Design and drafting 3D experience producing bid documents for wastewater facility construction and modifications with a focus in Civil, MEP, or Instrumentation and Control disciplines.
- Experience with Autodesk Civil 3D software
- Knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Knowledge of datums and survey data
- Experience generating civil site plans, plan & Profiles, and pipe networks
- Experience with Autodesk Plant 3D and P&ID
- An understanding of Instrumentation and Control strategies
- Knowledge of Wastewater Treatment processes
- Experience generating P&ID diagrams
Work Environment: This position will predominantly work by telecommuting, with onsite work and meetings, as influenced by business needs. This will also include some field investigations at wastewater treatment facilities of various types throughout King County. Field work may require entry into hazardous confined spaces such as pump station wet wells and treatment plant structures.
- Supplemental Information
Application and Selection Process: Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness including online application, cover letter and resume, and responsiveness to the list of qualifications, skills, and abilities. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in one or more panel interviews. Applications without the following required materials may not be considered for this position.
- King County application
- Cover Letter detailing your background and what you can bring to this position
- Responses to supplemental questions
- Work Samples for CAD Civil 3D products in PDF format (e.g. permit applications, construction plans, etc.) (Please do not upload more than 10 pages)
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Senior Human Resource Analyst
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, most* King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff03Please describe your experience with AutoCAD, Revit, Civil 3D or Plant 3D. (Limit your response to 200 words)04Have you uploaded the following required materials to your application? 1. Cover Letter detailing your background and what you can bring to this position 2. Work Samples for CAD Civil 3D products in PDF format (e.g. permit applications, construction plans, etc.) (Please do not upload more than 10 pages)
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.