Electronic Communications Specialist - PSERN
- We are looking for multiple Electronic Communications Specialists. These positions are expected to last through October 2023 (up to 24 months).These positions can be either filled as Term Limited Temporary or as Special Duties.
For Special Duty Assignment interest, you must be a Career Service, Career Service Exempt or other regular (non-temporary) employees in King County who have completed their initial County probation. You must have supervisor approval prior to taking a Special Duty Assignment.
These positions will remain open until filled.
First review of applicants 10/13/2021.
KCIT (King County Department of Information Technology) Puget Sound Emergency Radio Network Project (PSERN) is in search of Two (2) Electronics Communications Specialist's (ECS). The Electronic Communications Specialist's will perform highly skilled technical work as an expert in land mobile radio systems, Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) and other electronics equipment, including the new PSERN 800 MHz Regional Public Safety Communications System.
Reporting to the Technical Group Supervisor, the ECS's will be responsible for providing oversight and quality assurance of multiple DAS vendors activities, providing technical expertise in DAS reconfiguration activities, monitoring adherence to various contracts, act as the single point of contact while at work sites, and delivering daily written status reports of work performed at locations.
These individuals will use a combination of logic, analysis, experience and wisdom to make sound, timely decisions to assist in DAS reconfigurations while facilities transition their DAS equipment from the King County Emergency Radio Communications System to PSERN.
King County Department of Information Technology (KCIT)
KCIT is providing the building blocks for many of the region's most critical services. As the business solutions partner, we collaborate with the 18 County departments to develop products and services that better serve the needs of our customers and our community. To learn more about KCIT, please visit: http://kingcounty.gov/depts/it.aspx
As the first place recipient of the 15th annual National Association of Counties (NACo) Digital Counties Survey, KCIT was recognized for its vision, strategy, innovation, and collaboration. Previously earning top 10 digital county honors in the last eleven years from the Center for Digital Government, KCIT has a focus of delivering smart technology solutions that support customers, building stronger communities through innovative information technology.
King County offers a robust benefits package to support you and your family in a variety of ways. To learn more about the benefits offered here, please click on the Benefits tab or click here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
The normal workweek for this position is Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Alternative work schedules may be considered, after probation. This position is eligible for overtime pay.
This position will be approximately 85% in the field and 15% in the office.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Shane Dickson, email@example.com or (206) 263-2454.
- Job Duties
- Serve as technical expert and provide quality assurance for primarily for DAS, as well as land mobile radio systems, and other electronics equipment, including the PSERN 800 MHz Regional Public Safety Communications System.
- Utilize computer software to provide information and document changes in DAS equipment layouts and wiring schematics, give technical direction to vendors to affect a quality reconfiguration of DAS equipment.
- Represent the PSERN Project in communications with other internal and external governmental agencies as well as vendors.
- Work with customers, vendors, and the Project staff to determine required actions needed on to ensure quality and timely reconfigurations of DAS.
- Work with technical staff and other Project Members; maintains accurate recorded concerning work hours, labor hours, and DAS equipment modifications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position will require a valid WA state driver's license as you could be required to drive a county vehicle on a daily basis.
- This position will require the successful completion of a physical exam.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Successful completion of an AA degree, Vocational training program in Electronics or equivalent Military Electronics training involving communications equipment, analog and digital circuitry, and test equipment usage.
- Two years of demonstrated experience in installation, testing, maintenance and repair of DAS systems.
- Working knowledge of National, State and local government DAS regulations.
- Must be able to create and maintain effective working relationships with others including but not limited to co-workers, vendors and radio system customers.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Must pass required security screening and background check
- Current Washington State Driver's license and the ability to maintain and continue driving eligibility
- Working knowledge of Project Management Principles.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Word.
- FCC License or commercial equivalent (NARTE, NABER, etc.) desired.
- Experience in digital microwave repair, configuration and operation.
- Experience in MPLS repair, configuration and operation
- Two years of demonstrated experience in two-way land/mobile radio repair and operation. Experience with Motorola ASTRO 7.X systems and designs.
- Supplemental Information
- Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, most* King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
A completed King County Application and Resume are required. A Cover Letter is strongly encouraged.
The recruitment for this position is open to all qualified candidates.
Union Status: This position is represented - IBEW L77
(For internal use only: Classification: Electronic Communications Specialist - 8308100)
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you authorized to work in the United States?
02Does your authorization require sponsorship now or in the future from an employer or other source? (This does not preclude you from being considered for this position.)
03The person hired for this position must successfully pass a background investigation. Are you willing to undergo a thorough background investigation prior to an offer of employment? This may include reference checks with previous employers and a criminal background check.
04Do you currently have a valid Washington State driver's license?
05If you have a valid driver's license from another state, are you willing to obtain an unencumbered driver's license from Washington state prior to beginning employment?
06This position is physically demanding requiring standing, walking, sitting, climbing stairs, climbing ladders, balancing, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling throughout the duration of the shift. Do you have the ability to perform these functions with or without an accommodation?
07Are you willing to undergo a pre-employment medical examination?
08Please describe your experience working with Distributed Antenna Systems and Bi-Directional Amplifier Systems.09Please explain your experience working with Mission Critical Public Safety Radio Systems in the 800 MHz band.10Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
11If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.