Employment Litigation Attorney
- King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office
Civil Litigation Employment Attorney
Civil Division, Litigation Section
The Civil Division of the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office is in search of an enthusiastic and analytical attorney to join our team in the Litigation Section, focusing primarily on employment litigation.
We value diversity and strive to hire a workforce that reflects the community that we serve. It is essential to our mission that we create and maintain an office that is diverse and inclusive. All PAO employees are expected to participate in PAO equity work and attend equity trainings and discussions. PAO employees are expected to comply with equity and social justice principles, and to work with PAO colleagues and management to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Job Duties
Employment litigators in the Litigation Section defend King County and King County Employees and officials in lawsuits brought on by current and former King County employees in federal and state courts, including appeals. Lawsuits commonly involve allegations of discrimination, retaliation, failure to accommodate disabilities, and other claims brought under the Washington Law against Discrimination and Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
- Enthusiasm, initiative, and an ability to successfully lead a team on complex matters
- Outstanding analytical abilities
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Demonstrable commitment to equity and social justice, including continued development of personal cultural humility/competence
- Desire to litigate in state and federal courts
- 3-5 years of employment litigation experience
- Must be Washington State Bar qualified
- Member in good standing with the Washington State Bar.
- Must submit to a criminal history check.
- U.S. Citizenship (per RCW 36.27 and 29A.04 and Article VI of the WA Constitution
- Supplemental Information
1) Attach cover letter & resume to completed online application
2) Provide writing sample
Salary: Depends on experience
Benefits Package: The County offers an excellent benefits package including employee and dependent coverage for Medical, Dental and Vision at no cost to the employee. Employees also receive life insurance, long term disability and accidental death and dismemberment insurance. Employees are members of the Washington State Retirement System. Other benefits are available, including deferred compensation and flexible spending accounts, for interested employees. The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office pays Bar dues and provides opportunities for free CLE credits.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Jessica Kozma, Section Head (206) 477-9536 or Heidi Jacobsen-Watts, Interim Assistant Section Head (206) 477-1861.
The King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office has a Telecommuting Policy. Please inquire for details.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01The Prosecuting Attorney's Office requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To meet this requirement, all employees must provide proof of vaccination approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
02Are you currently employed by the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office?
- I understand this requirement.
- I cannot comply with this requirement.
03Please describe an equity and social justice issue that is important to you: