Entry Level Deputy Sheriff
- The King County Sheriff's Office (KCSO) is accepting Deputy Sheriff applications from United States Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents!
Located in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with a commissioned staff of more than 700, we are one of the largest Sheriff's Offices in the country. Our deputies have opportunities to serve in many different communities, including unincorporated King County, numerous contract city police departments, transit police agencies, and so many more.
We offer countless unique assignments that range from school or community-based positions to drug enforcement and bomb disposal. All deputies begin their career on patrol (no jail service requirement), providing service to the people of a specific district. Deputies are assigned to single-person patrol cars, and gain a strong sense of ownership in their communities by interacting with the residents, business owners, and visitors in the area.
This position is a civil service position, for information regarding King County Civil Service you can access the Civil Service Rules.
CONTACT INFORMATION: If you have questions regarding this job announcement, please contact
Civil Service - Marc Alvarado, at email@example.com, phone 206-263-6896
KCSO Recruiting - KCSORec@KingCounty.Gov
WORK SCHEDULE: 24/7 position, shift of day, swing, or graveyard are determined on need and assigned location.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
- Ability to speak clearly and listen well.
- Ability to write reports with grammatically correct English.
- Excellent memory recall.
- Ability to follow maps well and familiarize self in assigned patrol area.
- Excellent physical fitness.
- Basic computer skills.
- You must be a United States citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident;
- You must have the ability to read, speak and write in the English language fluently;
- You must be at least 20.5 years of age at the time of application;
- You must have a Washington State's Driver's License or be able to obtain one;
- You must have a high school degree or a GED;
- You must meet King County Sheriff's Office medical standards, as determined by a medical exam following an offer of employment; and
- You must be able to pass the background investigation.
Please note that all entry-level deputy candidates are required to test and pass the physical agility test. You will not be invited to interview if you have not passed the PAT. You may also be required to wait a longer period of time if you did not obtain a score of 77% or higher on your written examination.
Application and Testing Process:
1. Register and complete an application for testing at www.PublicSafetyTesting.com and schedule a date to take the written test and the Physical Agility Test (PAT). Following the test you will receive a printed copy of your results. This is for you to keep. The test you take will be validated and the results will be sent to us directly.
2. Once King County Civil Service has received your test scores from Public Safety Testing, you will be invited to complete an online application along with all required materials (mentioned in the supplemental questions) by clicking on the "Apply" link towards the top of this job announcement on the right. A complete application is required for processing – do not type "see resume".
***Military applicants requesting Veterans' Scoring preference must attach their DD-214 to the application***
3. Oral Boards – Upon receipt of your satisfactory scores, we will contact you to schedule an oral board interview, as they become available. This is a formal interview in front of a panel of King County deputies, detectives and/or sergeants. The panel will evaluate you on the following criteria: communication skills, background, community involvement, experience, integrity, motivation, interpersonal skills, and problem solving.
4. Civil Service Eligibility List – Upon successfully passing your oral board examination, a final score will be given based on the combined results from your written test and the oral board interview, as well as any one of the approved preference points listed below, if applicable. Qualified candidates will be merged onto the existing entry-level or lateral eligibility lists. This list determines the order in which background investigations are conducted.
- Veteran's Preference: a valid copy of your DD-214 must be provided with your application materials online to be valid.
- Foreign Language Proficiency: if you speak a foreign language and wish to receive additional consideration, please indicate this on the applicable supplemental question. You must successfully pass the pre-set requirements in an assessment before additional points are added.
5. Background Investigation – Our thorough background investigation includes a look at your driving, criminal, credit and employment history. KCSO detectives will conduct the investigation. Personal references and current and previous employers will be contacted. Once the background investigation is complete, you will take a polygraph test, have an interview with the hiring Chief and undergo psychological and medical evaluations.
You can expect the time from the point your background investigation begins to the time you are offered a job to take at least six weeks. Some background investigations may take longer. The start date of the background investigation will depend on the hiring needs of the department and your ranking on the eligibility list.
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position is represented by the King County Police Officers Guild.
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, most* King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation. This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
The King County Sheriff's Office offers competitive wages and a generous benefit package that includes fully-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision insurance for employees and their dependents. We also provide fully paid premiums for basic life insurance, a generous vacation and sick leave program, and membership in Washington State's LEOFF retirement plan.
More information about employee benefits is available on the county's website at: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/benefits/YourKingCountyBenefits.aspx
01You must be a current US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) to apply for civil service positions with the King County Sheriff's Office. Are you now a United States citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident?
02Can you read, write and speak the English language?
03The background of all King County Sheriff's Office employees and applicants are thoroughly checked. The required background investigation will review and evaluate driving records, criminal records, employment histories, military records, personal and employment references, and related information. A polygraph examination is also required. Are you willing to undergo a background investigation and polygraph examination as part of the employment process?
04You are required to be at least 20.5 years of age when submitting your application for this position. When we look at your application, will you be at least 20.5 years of age?
05Are you requesting additional consideration based on your fluency to speak a foreign language (not English)? Note - If you are requesting additional consideration based on your fluency to speak a foreign language, you are required to be assessed by a Civil Service vendor to determine eligibility.
06If you responded yes to a request for additional consideration because you speak a foreign language, in which language will you need to be assessed?07What is your PST written score? You must have added KCSO at your PST examination. If you did not, we may not accept your score. Your score will be verified prior to scheduling your interview.08Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to DRUGS: •As an adult, convicted of any drug crime, felony or misdemeanor •Use of mushrooms within the last three (3) years •Use of hallucinogens (includes GHB & ecstasy; excludes mushrooms), cocaine, methamphetamine, or opiates within the last ten (10) years •Use of any other illegal drug, including steroids, within the last five (5) years •Illegal use of four (4) or more different controlled substances, including marijuana, in the last ten (10) years •Any instance of manufacturing or cultivating illegal drugs for the purpose of sale or distribution •Use of any illegal drugs while employed in a criminal justice capacity •Obtaining a prescription under false pretenses •Any instance of illegally injected amphetamines, methamphetamines, cocaine, heroin, barbiturates, or valium •Any instance of illegally using a drug after submitting an application to any Law Enforcement agency •Marijuana use will reviewed on a case-by-case basis; however, in order to increase the likelihood of continuing on in the hiring and background process, an applicant should not have used Marijuana in the last 12 months
09If you answered "yes" to the above, please explain.10Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to CRIMINAL ACTIVITY: •Any adult felony convictions •Any adult misdemeanor conviction for crimes involving theft or crimes of violence •Conviction of Minor In Possession of Alcohol within the last three (3) years •Any conviction for a sex related crime •Any instance of required registration as a sex offender, regardless of conviction status •Any conviction for solicitation of prostitution
11If you answered "yes" to the above, please explain.12Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to DRIVING: •Conviction of Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol within the last ten (10) years •Conviction of Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol more than once •As an adult, conviction of Attempting to Elude, or Hit and Run •As an adult, conviction of Reckless or Negligent Driving 1st degree in in the last 5 years •Driving While License Suspended/Revoked reviewed on a case-by-case basis
13If you answered "yes" to the above, please explain.14Do you have any conviction for any crime classified as a Domestic Violence offense?
15Do you meet any of the automatic disqualifiers pertaining to MILITARY: •Any discharge from any military service other than honorable will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis •A dishonorable discharge remains an automatic disqualifier
16If you answered "yes" to the above, please explain.17Did you pass the Physical Agility Test (PAT)? If you did not take the examination you must respond with "no".