Fire and Security Systems Technician (T2C : JCC L46-Electricians)
**2022 WAGE INCREASES HAVE NOT YET BEEN PUBLISHED**
Facilities Management Division's (FMD), Building Operations Section is looking to fill a Fire and Security Systems Technician position. This position will install, program, maintain, test, and repair Integrated Security, Life Safety, and Mass Notification systems at all FMD Security Engineering program supported sites. The incumbent will oversee and perform the technical work during installations and be responsible for the training of contractors, other County trades, and end users as directed.
Who are we?
Through a workforce of over 300 dedicated employees, FMD operates and manages the County's capital assets by developing and maintaining cost-conscious, sustainable, high-quality facilities. The Building Operations Section of FMD maintains approximately 3 million square feet in facilities where King County provides regional services, including the King County Courthouse and District Courts, Maleng Regional Justice Center, King County Administration Building, King County Animal Shelter, and several Public Health facilities. Our facilities range in age from 8 to 100 years, with equipment such as boilers, chillers, DDC controls, ventilation fans, pumps and compressors, and fire/life/safety systems.Why it's worth taking a second look at working for King County:
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE:
As the only jurisdiction in the world named after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nation's history, King County is a vibrant international community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the traditions of many cultures.
We have a deep commitment to equity and social justice and advancing practices, strategies, and policies that promote fairness, justice, and opportunity for all – in our workplaces and our communities. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda to advance regional change and ensure that residents from vulnerable communities are incorporated into our emergency planning and public outreach efforts.
To learn more, please visit http://www.kingcounty.gov/elected/executive/equity-social-justice.aspx
- Job Duties
SCOPE OF JOB DUTIES - The successful candidate will demonstrate skill and/or ability at a minimum to:
- Review and process Maximo work orders for Integrated Security, Life Safety and Mass Notification systems and all FMD Security Engineering program supported sites daily.
- Receive trouble reports from third party monitoring companies and prepare work orders for corrections, as needed.
- Troubleshoot Fire Alarm, Integrated Security, and Mass Notification Systems to identify issue(s) and initiate repair actions or refer to others as appropriate.
- Order and track needed parts and materials to support the installation and maintenance of Life Safety, Mass Notification and integrated security systems installations and repairs.
- Maintain the Life Safety Systems test and inspection calendar in format required.
- Schedule and conduct Life Safety, Mass Notification, and Security Systems testing in accordance with Life Safety codes, standards, regulations, and County policies and procedures.
- Monitor the performance of Facilities Engineering program life safety and integrated security systems. Document and maintain records for all systems modifications and other changes.
- Analyze performance metrics and create reports from applications as directed.
- Install and program automated systems equipment panels including fire alarm, mass notification, integrated security, access control, CCTV surveillance, and other security related panels.
- Collaborate with and assist vendors regarding automated systems equipment panels including fire alarm, mass notification, integrated security, access control, CCTV surveillance, and other security related panels and associated field devices.
- Provide training and user support to clients and end users; update user rights.
- Provide training and work process direction to building trades and contractors regarding installation and maintenance methods used by the County.
- Provide support for service issues or failures at any time during working and standby hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE:
- Previous working experience operating and maintaining security systems and related equipment.
- Working knowledge of electronic security systems.
- Skill in computer technology principles, application, and troubleshooting techniques.
- Skill in creating, maintaining, and implementing user support training.
- Ability to convey technical information to non-technical users.
- Ability to effectively engage in and sustain relationships with people from all backgrounds.
- Supplemental Information
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Washington State Driver's License.
- Washington State Electrical License E06 or E01.
- Ability to obtain and maintain FA1 Fire Alarm installer certification with City of Seattle and NICET II certifications within 3-6 months of hire.
- Attend and successfully complete (certify) Simplex Grinnell 4100ES Fire Alarm Installer/Maintainer certification within 6 months of hire or by the next scheduled course.
- Attend and successfully complete (certify) Softwarehouse CCure 9000 Installer/Maintainer certification within 4 months of hire or by the next scheduled course.
- Attain and maintain any new requirements of certifications for classifications scope of work as required by local authorities having jurisdiction in all of King County facilities.
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION:
This position has been designated by department leadership as a FIRST RESPONDER in the event of a proclaimed emergency. Meaning this position has a role in emergency response and is responsible for the protection and preservation of life, property, evidence, environment and/or restoration of order.
This position reports to the King County Administration Building in Downtown Seattle, however, may be relocated to other locations such as the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent, WA.
- The work schedule is Monday-Friday, 6:55 a.m. to 3:25 p.m. This position is also required to be on a paid rotating standby list for non-duty days such as weekends and holidays.
- We are also creating a hiring list for any future positions that become available in the next 12 months.
- These positions are non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and are therefore overtime-eligible.
- Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule, every other Thursday, comprising a 40-hour workweek; schedule and work location are to be determined.
Incumbents in these positions are represented by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 46.
Final appointment is contingent upon successfully passing a thorough federal and county background investigation and clearing a pre-employment physical examination.
WHO MAY APPLY:
This position is open to all qualified applicants.Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers. Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, most* King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Please check all that applies to your licensing/certification
- Washington State Driver's License
- Washington State Electrical License E06
- Washington State Electrical License E01
- FA1 Fire Alarm installer certification with City of Seattle
- Softwarehouse CCure 9000 Installer / Maintainer certification