Firearm Violence Reduction Support Analyst (NIBIN Analyst)
- Firearm Violence Reduction Support AnalystCrime Strategies Unit
The Criminal Division of the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office is seeking a highly motivated Firearm Violence Reduction Analyst (NIBIN Analyst). If you seek enriching, meaningful work and a chance to serve your community while working as part of a dynamic team, this opportunity may be for you.
The NIBIN analyst (National Integrated Ballistic Information Network) will focus on identifying hot spots of firearm violence, and work with the Firearm Prosecutor and law enforcement to shore up firearm investigations. The NIBIN analyst will work across multiple law enforcement agencies (State and Federal) to track firearms across jurisdictions, looking for trends and investigative leads. Please visit our Gun Violence Data site to learn more about the work of this innovative team.
About the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office
The Criminal Division is the largest of four divisions and is organized into several specialized units. See the Criminal Division Overview for more information. We are guided by our core values of Integrity, Compassion, Professionalism, and Leadership.
Our mission is to do Justice:
- We exercise the power given to us by the people with fairness and humility.
- We serve our diverse community, support victims and families, and hold individuals accountable.
- We develop innovative and collaborative solutions for King County and the State of Washington.
We value diversity and strive to hire a workforce that reflects the community that we serve. It is essential to our mission that we create and maintain an office that is diverse and inclusive. All PAO employees are expected to participate in PAO equity work and attend equity trainings and discussions. PAO employees are expected to comply with equity and social justice principles, and to work with PAO colleagues and management to identify opportunities for improvement.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants. This position is also exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and therefore not overtime eligible.
Telecommuting: This position is eligible for telecommuting except for tasks that require an on-site or in-person presence to fulfill the business needs of the position, unit, division and mission. A county issued laptop will be provided and employees must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours.
Funding for this position is through July 2023 with the possibility of an extension.
- Job Duties
- Producing networks to identify persons of interest related to NIBIN shooting incidents
- Inputting and updating data into the Shots Fired database (will require some familiarity with Microsoft Azure and SQL although some training is available)
- Coordinating data sharing and collaboration with multiple local LEA and Federal Agencies
- Inputting NIBIN lead data into the shots fired database
- Working to extract internal data to help refine Shots Fired data for analysis
- Assisting in identification and verification of identities, associations, monikers and possible gang affiliations
- Participating in weekly meeting with local and federal partners examining recent NIBIN incidents
- Providing some mapping products to support geospatial analysis of NIBIN incidents over time and highlighting heavily impacted areas
- Work closely with incoming NIBIN prosecutor to support criminal investigations into drivers of repeat gun violence
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Familiarity with Excel (intermediate skill level necessary; some training available)
- Familiarity with Social Network Analysis (“SNA”) (training available)
- Familiarity with data visualization tools like Power BI (some training available)
- Open Source Research Experience (social media analysis; locating addresses, accounts, associates, family)
- Experience interacting with a variety of databases (interacting with, extracting, and managing data)
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft office (primarily Outlook, One Drive and Share Point)
- Experience in working within a multi-agency role preferred
- Familiarity with criminal investigations preferred
- Supplemental Information
Must submit to a Criminal History Background Check to include fingerprinting.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:Hazel Johnson (she/her)
Sr. Human Resources Analyst
Tracking #: 76S-2022-JUL-SD/TLC
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you currently employed by the Prosecuting Attorney's Office?
02The Prosecuting Attorney's Office requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To meet this requirement, all employees must provide proof of vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- I understand this requirement.
- I cannot comply with this requirement.