Fiscal Specialist II
This position is open as a Term Limited Temporary or Special Duty opportunity, open to all qualified candidates. The term of this position is approved for 12 months with the possibility of an extension. If internal candidate is selected, a file review and prior approval from current supervisor is required.
This position reports to the Finance and Payroll Section of Facilities Management Division within the Department of Executive Services. Under general supervision, this position provides technical, financial, accounting, and fiscal support services to the Division. Facilitate end-to-end processing and troubleshooting of vendor invoices and ensure tasks are performed timely and in compliance with policy and procedures.
WHO ARE WE?
Through a workforce of over 350 dedicated employees, FMD operates and manages the County's capital assets by developing and maintaining cost-conscious, sustainable, high-quality facilities. The Building Operations Section of FMD maintains approximately 3 million square feet in facilities where King County provides regional services, including the King County Courthouse and District Courts, Maleng Regional Justice Center, King County Administration Building, King County Animal Shelter, and several Public Health facilities. Our facilities range in age from 8 to 100 years, with equipment such as boilers, chillers, DDC controls, ventilation fans, pumps and compressors, and fire/life/safety systems.
Why it's worth taking a second look at working for King County:
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE:
As the only jurisdiction in the world named after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nation's history, King County is a vibrant international community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the traditions of many cultures.
We have a deep commitment to equity and social justice and advancing practices, strategies, and policies that promote fairness, justice, and opportunity for all – in our workplaces and our communities. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda to advance regional change and ensure that residents from vulnerable communities are incorporated into our emergency planning and public outreach efforts.
To learn more, please visit http://www.kingcounty.gov/elected/executive/equity-social-justice.aspx
- Job Duties
SCOPE OF JOB DUTIES
The successful candidate will demonstrate skill and/or ability at a minimum to:
- Verify authorizations and account balances and code invoices/disbursement requests to ensure proper entry to accounting system.
- Enter approved payables to the accounting system and generate payments.
- Work closely with vendors, Division staff to research and resolve payables inquiries in a timely manner.
- Monitor outstanding payments, resolve issues.
- Ensure invoices are paid in a timely and accurate manner while adhering to departmental procedures.
- Prepare requisition and purchase orders for submittal.
- Processing transactions and performing accounting duties such as account maintenance, recording entries and reconciling accounts.
- Process invoices for payment, including determining proper coding and identifying approval authorization.
- Maintain vendor files, and paid invoice files.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE:
- Professional experience processing, reviewing and/or monitoring accounts receivable, accounts payable, and working with automated accounting systems.
- Knowledge of general policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and mathematics.
- Demonstrated intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Products including Excel, Word, and Outlook and other software applications relative to the position.
- Ability to multi-task, respond to unanticipated requests, and work under pressure within deadlines.
- Ability to provide clear information, directions, and training to technical and non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated experience providing effective and quality customer service.
- Strong organizational and advanced problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
HIGHLY DESIRABLE SKILLS:
- Experience in accounts payable, receivable, and accounting reconciliation.
- Skill in creating Excel spreadsheets for data analysis including data filters, subtotals, pivot tables, and Vlookup.
- Knowledge of public sector basic accounting.
- Experience with Oracle, PeopleSoft, or other automated financial systems.
- Supplemental Information
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION:
- This position is non-exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act and is overtime eligible.
- Normal business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- This position is represented by the Teamster L117.
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers. Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
KING COUNTY IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO) EMPLOYER
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact Tricia Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-477-9441.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.