Fiscal Specialist III
This is an amazing opportunity to be engaged in the election process!
This benefits-eligible Term-Limited Temporary (TLT) position is anticipated to last until December 2023. A Special Duty Assignment may be considered for King County Career Service employees who have passed their initial probationary period.
The Department of Elections - is searching for energetic and resourceful professionals who like to "get stuff done". The Fiscal Specialist III position combines an exciting, fast-paced environment with the opportunity to cultivate talents and apply a variety of skills. The ideal candidate will have a desire to help ensure the democratic process through public service. They will thrive in an innovative environment and will not hesitate to roll up both sleeves, work hard, have fun, and get the job done.
The Fiscal Specialist III performs accounting and fiscal services work such as the processing of invoices, accounts payable, account receivables, payroll, and financial documents for the Department of Elections. Work is performed under limited supervision and requires independent judgment. This position reports directly to the Administrative Services Manager and works closely with both the Finance Administrator I and the Payroll Administrator I. Successful candidates in this position will be extremely motivated to provide excellent customer service in a fast paced environment and independently prioritize work while working as a member of a team.
King County Elections (KCE) manages voter registration and elections for more than 1.4 million voters in King County and is the largest vote-by-mail county in the United States. KCE's mission is to conduct accessible, secure, and accurate elections. As a leader in providing inclusive elections, KCE is focused on three key priorities – (1) actively identifying and working to remove barriers to voting at both the individual and community level, (2) strengthening relationships with community and governmental partners, and (3) creating a culture of professional growth and development, openness and inclusion. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx
Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public and all King County employees.
Work Schedule: This position is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is overtime eligible. The workweek is typically 40 hours per week, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. We require the flexibility to work additional hours during peak periods of the Election cycle that may occur outside of typical business hours.
Materials Required to Apply: A completed online King County employment application at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs, a Resume, and Letter of Interest is required with your submission.
- Job Duties
- Perform financial, payroll or other financial/numeric work, requiring the application of accepted bookkeeping or basic accounting methods and applications.
- Data entry (PeopleSoft and other systems), running reports, completing a variety of detail-oriented forms, updating spreadsheets.
- Process biweekly payroll in PeopleSoft HCM for the Department of Elections. Review timesheet entries and coordinate approval with managers, supervisors, and central payroll staff. Assist staff with payroll inquiries and troubleshoot issues with Central payroll as needed.
- Perform accounts payable functions, including processing vendor invoices for payment, reviewing and preparing procurement requests and payment vouchers, processing employee expense claims. Monitor and track payments, reconcile to payment records.
- Research and summarize specialized or technical information from varied sources, which requires selecting the most appropriate material and the use of spreadsheets and/or customized database applications. Verify and reconcile data discrepancies.
- Assist with problem solving, troubleshooting issues with vendors, clients, other King County departments or internal divisions as needed.
- Provide general office administrative support including formatting and finalizing documents, preparing hard copies and electronic files for presentation.
- Assist HR staff with short term temporary hiring and New Employee Orientation logistics, including coordinating setup and scheduling. May require travel within King County and the ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Recent and relevant experience in finance and/or accounting.
- Skill in maintaining data accuracy and integrity.
- Experience interpreting policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated intermediate skills in Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, and Outlook and other software applications.
- Knowledge of accounting and higher-level mathematics including ability to calculate pay, leave, and time based on collective bargaining agreements, contracts and settlements, and other related documents.
- Ability to multi-task, respond to unanticipated requests, and work under pressure within deadlines. Demonstrated experience providing effective and quality customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and positively work within a team environment, and maintain professionalism in all situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive financial and personnel matters.
- Requires initiative and accountability in work products and service, and the ability to follow-through on issues to completion.
- Strong organization and problem solving skills.
Most Competitive candidates will possess:
- Experience in accounts payable, receivable, and accounting reconciliation.
- Skill in creating Excel spreadsheets for data analysis including data filters, subtotals, pivot tables, and Vlookup.
- Experience with Oracle, EBS, PeopleSoft or other automated financial/payroll systems.
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, economics, or related field.
- Supplemental Information
Travel to work locations throughout King County with limited or no public transportation services is required. A valid Washington State Driver's License is required to operate King County vehicles.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The duties in this position are performed in an office setting and may be required to lift at least 25 lbs.
UNION: This position is represented by Teamsters Local 117, Professional & Technical and Administrative Employees.
Temporary Telecommuting Requirement
The work associated with this position will be performed through a combination of teleworking complemented with onsite work and meetings as needed. Employees must reside in Washington state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required, including the wearing of masks in some situations. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team that is redefining how we work as we transition to the department's hybrid environment.
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Sr. HR Business Partner
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Please select the areas that best describes your experience (select all that apply).
02How many years of automated payroll process experience do you possess?
- Recent experience in Finance
- Recent experience in Accounting
- Accounts payable experience
- Accounts receivable experience
- Account reconciliation experience
- None of the above
03Do you have payroll processing experience within the PeopleSoft payroll system?
- Less than one year
- One to two years
- More than two years
04If you answered yes to the question above, please indicate where you obtained this experience, your job title, and an example of the type of work you completed in this system. If you do not have this experience then type N/A.05Do you have experience with the Oracle EBS Financial System?
06If you answered yes to the question above, please indicate where you obtained this experience, your job title, and an example of the type of work you completed in this system. If you do not have this experience then type N/A.07Which of the following best describes your response to the following question: Are you applying to this position as a Priority Placement Program Participant and is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time and do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
08If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Program participant, to be considered you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff09This position requires a LETTER OF INTEREST and RESUME. If you have not yet attached or pasted in your resume and cover letter you may still do it at this point in the application process. Have you included a resume and cover letter with your application?
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff AND the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of full-time status when compared to this one.