Functional Analyst III (Multiple Openings)
Join The Technical Services Team in the Fleet Support Section of the Vehicle Maintenance Division. This fast-paced and collaborative Technical Services Team provides support to Vehicle Maintenance employees for the operation of buses and bases, including support of and training to end-users, system process improvement, reporting, and information, Pick and Shake Up Coordination, technical troubleshooting, and application upgrade/lifecycle management, and technology project management. The Technical Services team will be heavily involved with the integration of the new Enterprise Asset Management System (EAMS) for Metro.
This is an opportunity to work with colleagues who embrace a team approach and continuous improvement, equity, and inclusion, delivering customer value and who are adept at remote working and collaboration. This position reports to the Functional Analyst IV for the Transit Vehicle Maintenance Division.
An Employer to Be Proud Of:
About King County and Metro
This is an exciting time to work at King County Metro Transit. We serve the fastest growing transit market in the nation, enjoy a 93% customer satisfaction rate, and are creating an array of innovative mobility services for our riders. We're building a zero-emission bus fleet and operating our region's light-rail system, which will expand three-fold in the next six years. Acting on our strong commitment to social equity, we're pioneering income-based fares to help make our services affordable for everyone. In recognition of our many achievements and progressive approach to public transportation, Metro Transit was named the 2018 Outstanding Public Transportation System among the nation's largest agencies.
At King County Metro Transit, we believe:
Diversity encompasses the unique perspectives, knowledge, skills, and abilities and the rich dimensions of identity each member of the Metro community brings to work on a daily basis. These perspectives and human dimensions are built through life experiences and membership in socially defined groups (including race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, etc.).
The diverse experiences and perspectives of our employees help us serve King County residents in an equitable and culturally responsive way. King County’s Equity and Social Justice shared values guide our work: https://kingcounty.gov/elected/executive/equity-social-justice/vision.aspx.
The Vehicle Maintenance's mission is to provide customers with safe, dependable, clean transportation in a timely, cost-effective, and environmentally sensitive manner, with a workforce that values teamwork, communication, and diversity.
King County provides our employees with a free transportation pass (good on Metro, Pierce, Community, and Sound Transit) and a generous benefits package (see Benefits tab for more details).
- Job Duties
Applying equity and social justice principles is a daily responsibility and a foundational expectation for all King County employees. In this role, you will apply equity and social justice principles that exemplify shared values, behaviors, and practices to all aspects of the work.
As a Functional Analyst III, you will:
- Implement, support, and maintain the Asset Management (fleet maintenance) application, reporting tools, including BI Launchpad, Vehicle Dispatch, interfaces with external systems, and the pick application.
- Support over 750 end-users of diverse backgrounds using these applications and other county software, including SharePoint and PeopleSoft.
- Monitor system functionality. Troubleshoot, track, resolve and document significant system problems and issues requiring advanced technical expertise.
- Design and test systems. Develop and test data models, application modifications, reports, and other related application functions. Analyze and test proposed system interfaces, enhancements, and upgrades prior to implementation. Develop acceptance criteria.
- Prepare system documentation and maintain knowledge base as system changes occur. Draft business cases, complex technical analysis, and flow documentation working closely with IT staff when needed.
- Develop complex reports, including financial, labor, maintenance repair, and inventory reports using a variety of reporting tools, including Crystal Reports, Oracle/EBS, Business Intelligence Tools, including Power BI, and publishing such reports to Enterprise Management Software such as Business Objects and SharePoint.
- Serve as a project lead for Vehicle Maintenance on various assigned systems or initiatives.
- Support Base staff with process improvement projects.
- Develop requirements, design curriculum, and provide training to technical and non-technical staff with varying levels of skills.
- Develop requirements for replacement systems.
- Serve on the on-call rotation in a 24/7 system support role for approximately nine weeks per year.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
Successful candidates must possess advanced knowledge of information systems, processes, techniques, and technology principles.
Additional required qualifications include:
- Two years or more of education and/or experience providing end-user support and technical problem resolution for relational database systems.
- Experience with large fleet management, mechanical repair, and maintenance applications.
- Skill in using data and information to assess and understand issues, evaluate options, and form accurate conclusions.
- Experience presenting and/or training in front of a group of people and/or in a classroom setting as well as one-on-one.
- Knowledge and experience using reporting tools against a relational database
- Skill in conveying technical information to non-technical users.
- Strong commitment to customer service utilizing skills such as follow-up, discretion, patience, etiquette, communication, and professionalism.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to deal with others with tact, diplomacy, and courtesy.
- Ability to function independently, work with team members, and maintain effective team relationships.
- Skill in working effectively and cooperatively with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt communication style to the needs of the audience and interact professionally with a diverse group, managers, and executives.
- Demonstrated personal integrity, reliability, and dependability.
- Knowledge and experience using Crystal Reports, Oracle/EBS, Business Intelligence tools such as Power BI or Tableau, BI Insights, PeopleSoft, and SharePoint are highly desirable.
- Experience working with large amounts of data.
- Experience with inventory and financial systems.
- Experience managing projects.
- High level of initiative, self-starter, and desire to improve processes.
- Strong organizational skills – key to managing several responsibilities and communicating with many users/customers/co-workers in a diverse environment.
- Strong ability to multitask.
- Ability and willingness to be available to provide end-user support via phone and on-site on a rotational 24/7 basis.
- Ability and willingness to work on alternative schedules, including swing and graveyard shifts on occasion, at Vehicle Maintenance locations around King County.
- Valid Washington State driver's license (Out-of-state candidates must get a Washington State driver's license before or soon after hire.)
- Supplemental Information
Who May Apply
This position is open to the general public and all King County employees.
Required Application Materials
Applicants must submit a (1) King County Application, (2) Complete the supplemental questionnaire, and (3) Attach a Cover Letter/Letter of Interest summarizing your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the position's requirements are required.
This recruitment will also be used to establish an eligibility pool to fill future career service, short-term temporary, term-limited temporary, and/or special duty assignment opportunities in the same classification within the Fleet Support section. The eligibility pool will be valid for 12 months upon creation, or until exhausted, at the discretion of the hiring authority.
Applicants should complete the online application, which includes the Supplemental Questions. NOTE: Please answer ALL questions in the online employment application itself, with each of your jobs listed (listing each position for each employer separately), duties explained, reasons for leaving, salary, etc. Your job history in the employment application should go back ten years (if you have ten years of employment). Earlier jobs should be included if they are relevant in some way to this job.
Application materials will be screened for qualifications, clarity, and completeness. Competitive applicants may be invited to participate in one or more interviews. Final offers are contingent on the successful completion of reference checks.
This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not overtime eligible. Normal work hours (start and end time) vary between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, assignments occasionally involve end-user support at Vehicle Maintenance locations on swing or graveyard shifts, as well as participation in a 24/7 on-call rotation with the team members.
901 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, WA, 98104 is the work location for the Technical Services Team. Team members currently work remotely with occasional on-site work at various Vehicle Maintenance bases and other King County offices located around King County.
The work associated with these positions will be performed predominantly in a hybrid work environment working in the office and at home. Employees will have access to shared workspaces at various King County facilities. Employees must reside in Washington state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required, including the wearing of masks in some situations. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individuals selected for these opportunities will be joining innovative and progressive teams that are redefining how we work as we transition to the department's hybrid environment.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact
Tracy Bylund, HR Analyst at Tbylund@kingcounty.gov.
Union Representation: This position is represented by Professional Technical, Local 17
Class Code: 7304300
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process, or if you have questions, please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Please describe the applications and reporting tools for which you provided support. Please state in which job(s) this experience was gained. If you do not have this experience type N/A.02Which of the desirable skills do you possess? please check all that apply.
03Describe a recent situation in your current or previous position when you had to provide excellent customer service to a customer who was being difficult or who was in a difficult situation. What did you do to remedy the problem? Would you have done anything differently? Why or why not? Please be specific and indicate the employer and your job title.04How many years of experience do you have providing end-user support and technical problem resolution?
- Knowledge of Crystal Reports
- Experience with Crystal Reports
- Knowledge of Oracle/EBS
- Experience with Oracle/EBS
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence tools such as Power BI or Tableau, BI Insights
- Experience with Business Intelligence tools such as Power BI or Tableau, BI Insights
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft
- Experience with PeopleSoft
- Knowledge of SharePoint
- Experience with SharePoint
- Experience with Asset Management Systems
- Experience managing projects
05Are you able and willing to be available to provide end-user support via phone and/or on-site, on a rotational 24/7 basis?
- Three or more years
- More than two, but less than three years
- More than one, but less than two years
- Some experience, but less than one year
- No Experience
06Are you able and willing to work on alternative schedules, including swing and graveyard shifts on occasion, at Vehicle Maintenance locations around King County?
07Do you have a valid Washington State driver's license or the ability to obtain one before or soon after hire?
08Please select which type(s) of position you are interested in being considered for (select all that apply):
09Are you applying to this position as an eligible current or previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant? Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff? Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
- Career Service
- Term-Limited Temporary (TLT)
- Special Duty Assignment (SDA) PLEASE NOTE: SDA is for eligible internal King County employees only
- Future Career Service, TLT, or SDA over the next 12 months
10If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff11If you have a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, will you need accommodation in the testing process? If you check the "YES" box, the human resources staff person coordinating this recruitment will send you a request asking for additional information. (This confidential information is solicited for the purposes of providing reasonable accommodation only).
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County and I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. Additionally, the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.
12When applying for this position, you must thoroughly complete the education and work experience sections of your application. Failure to do so can result in disqualification from consideration. Please check off all of the items that you have completed in your application:
13A cover letter is required for this position. Have you attached your cover letter? If not, you may still go back and attach it.
- Completed education history
- Detailed description of each position you have held in the last ten years, including any relevant job history that may be outside of ten years. Please list gaps in employment and the reason
- Reason for leaving employers, (in case of termination, state why you were terminated)
- Supervisor name
- Employer phone number