Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanic
King County Fleet Services Division is looking for a Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanic. Heavy Duty Mechanics perform work on a variety of mechanical, electrical, electronic, powertrain, and hydraulic systems for vehicles, on and off-road construction equipment, and portable and stationary equipment that supports getting work done throughout King County.
Why work at King County is a great place to work?
This is a fantastic opportunity to have a lasting and rewarding career in County government. You will have the opportunity to work in an organization that embraces diversity, institutes best management practices, values hard work, and empowers employees to innovate and strives for second-to-none customer service.
Our focus is to provide our employees a work life balance with:
Very Competitive – 100% employer paid health care plans including spouse and children
Free – transportation options
Support – structured employee assistance program
Paid – twelve days of vacation per year
Paid – twelve days of sick leave per year
Paid – twelve-week parental leave
Deferred – compensation plan
Employer contributions – to state pension plan
Eleven – paid holidays and 2 additional personal holidays
Paid – annual tool allowance
Paid - additional pay for ASE Certifications!!!
SCOPE OF JOB DUTIES: The successful candidate at a minimum, must demonstrate knowledge, skill, and ability to:
- Diagnose and repair all types of gas, diesel, and hybrid powered equipment, including, but not limited to, automobiles, heavy/light trucks, tractors, backhoes, street sweepers, wheel loaders, various off-road equipment, and trailers.
- Troubleshoot and repair emergency response vehicle radios, light bars, and security device systems.
- Perform gas and electric welding and fabrication on mobile and stationary equipment.
- Operate mechanical and electronic testing equipment to troubleshoot and repair systems
- Maintain service, maintenance, and repair records.
- Modify and fabricate stock equipment to meet County needs. Repair and maintain shop tools and machinery.
- Provide technical assistance, direction, and advice to other workers, and give guidance on complex mechanical repair projects. Interpret equipment repair manuals, electric and hydraulic schematics and illustrated parts diagrams.
- Safely perform repairs in the field during inclement weather.
- Demonstrate journey - level proficiency to work with industrial and heavy-duty equipment, hydraulic, powertrain, diesel and gasoline fuel, accessory and cooling systems.
- Have knowledge of industrial and heavy equipment shop safety rules, procedures, and equipment.
- Understand technical terms used in light and heavy equipment repairs.
- Be skilled in the use of electrical, electronic, hydraulic and mechanical test equipment and devices.
- Be skilled in troubleshooting and repairing gas, diesel and hybrid engines and transmissions, hydraulic and electrical systems, diesel fuel and engine management systems, and radio, light bar, and security device systems.
- Understand how to use diagnostic tools online or paper maintenance, repair and parts manuals to assist in maintenance and repair.
- Be able to safely operate vehicles and equipment with onboard systems to test and troubleshoot for proper operation of integral or installed systems before and after maintenance
- Work independently and in a team environment. Are comfortable providing coaching, mentorship, and oversight to apprentices to perform technical tasks
- Able to troubleshoot and repair hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, electrical systems, chassis and power-train systems.
- Can navigate office productivity software and to operate and perform research on a computer. (The County uses Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.)
This exciting opportunity to join County government is open to all applicants. A King County application is required.
If you have any questions, please contact Andres Boyer at 206-263-8388 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful candidates for this role must:
- POSSES AND MAINTAIN A VALID WASHINGTON STATE DRIVER LICENSE: Able to obtain and maintain a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Class N and Air Brake Endorsement and current Medical Card.
- PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL EXAM: Typically, is completed within 3 – 4 weeks of offer.
- PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN: If you are a Current CDL holder, as required by federal regulations, you must submit to drug testing and test negative for presence of controlled substances; sign a Consent Form for release of Information for each employer for the past three (3) years; and successfully pass a background check for Alcohol and Controlled Substances testing, and a CDL background information.
- POSSESS TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT: The County provides employees with a tool allowance. The successful candidate must submit a complete tool inventory prior to start date. Candidate who do not have a complete tool inventory will be provided a temporary tool inventory that remain County property and must be returned to the County. Heavy Duty Mechanic tool kit's consisting of standard and metric, open end and socket wrenches including:
- Open end wrenches: Standard size 1/4" through 1-1/4", Metric Size: 6mm through 20mm
- Socket sets: 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" drive, standard size: 1/4" through 1-1/4", Metric Size: 6mm through 20mm.
- Various pliers, screwdrivers and other hand tools required to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Air operated power tools to 1/2" impact gun.
- FIRST AID/CPR CERTIFICATION: The selected candidate must obtain First Aid and CPR certifications within 6 months after start of employment. This training is available from King County and may be completed during hours of employment.
- TYPICAL WORK SCHEDULE: The typical work schedule for these positions is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Our shop operates from 6 am to 6 pm to best serve our customers. Alternative schedules may be required to meet business needs. Additionally, mandatory overtime and weekend work during emergencies may be required.
- ELIGBILITY LIST: This recruitment may be used to fill vacancies (Career Service, TLT, or STT) from this recruitment process for the next 12 months.
- UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position will be represented by Local 289 of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
(New) Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, most* King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.