IT Product Manager, Digital Evidence (Evidence.com)
This position is open to Internal King County Information Technology (KCIT) employees and eligible Priority Placement participants ONLY. Only current KCIT employees and eligible Priority Placement participants applications will be considered.
King County is driving to become the best run government in the country. For King County Information Technology (KCIT) that means innovating and iterating on our products and services to help our customers and constituents do their job, or do life, easier. Using technology, KCIT supports systems and processes foundational to our community.
King County law enforcement, prosecutors, public defenders and other justice system parties interact with evidence via technology. Whether it be camera footage, digital photos, or audio interviews, County staff must confidentially receive, review, store, and disclose case evidence. Optimizing digital evidence management is core to ensuring the equitable and efficient carriage of justice. That's where you come in.
We’re seeking an IT Product Manager, Digital Evidence (Evidence.com) to lead the County’s continued use and adoption of Evidence.com--our enterprise digital evidence management platform. Leveraging industry expertise, your uncanny ability to align cross-functional partners on a shared vision and roadmap, and your knack for pinpointing real customer needs, you’ll have the opportunity to enhance digital evidence management experience for key stakeholders in our justice system.
The people who live and work in King County want their government to work for them and for it to uphold efficient and equitable systems. We’re committed to delivering products that solve real problems and meet real needs. If you’re highly driven, customer-obsessed, and want to do work that has real impact on your community, we want you on our team!
King County Department of Information Technology (KCIT)
KCIT uses the power of technology to digitally transform King County. Building vibrant communities through digital equity and social justice, KCIT offers innovative solutions that engage, empower, and serve our residents, businesses, communities and interested stakeholders. As the first-place recipient of the 15th annual National Association of Counties (NACo) Digital Counties Survey, KCIT is recognized for its vision, strategy, innovation, and collaboration. KCIT has a focus of delivering smart technology solutions that support customers, building stronger communities through innovation.
KCIT is providing the building blocks for many of the region's most critical services. As the business solutions partner, we collaborate with the 18 County departments to develop products and services that better serve the needs of our customers and our community. To learn more about KCIT, please visit: http://kingcounty.gov/depts/it.aspx
The work associated with this position will be performed through a combination of onsite work complemented with telework. Employees will have access to shared workspaces at various King County facilities. Employees must reside in Washington state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required, including the wearing of masks in some situations. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team that is redefining how we work as we transition to the department's hybrid environment.
King County offers a robust benefits package to support you and your family in a variety of ways. To learn more about the benefits offered here, please click on the Benefits tab or click here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
The normal workweek for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Alternative work schedules may be considered. This position is not eligible for overtime pay.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Shannon Hoeper, firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-263-6957.
- Job Duties
- Define the product vision and roadmap, manage and deliver results for King County Digital Evidence management
- Partner with Customer Success Managers to ensure that the product outcome reflects the goals, problems, and needs of the customer
- Spend time with customers and partners to understand how their needs differ from each other and craft a vision and roadmap for scaling and supporting the Evidence.com solution across relevant County agencies
- Define the software product vision, communicate to the cross-functional team, and evolve it based on customer input
- Partner with the Product team and other key stakeholders to make the Product Vision a reality
- Consult with highly visible and/or political stakeholders (e.g. senior management and elected/appointed officials) regarding business needs, solution options, technology alternatives, operational impacts, costs/benefits, and strategic planning for achieving stated product objectives
- Work with the Product team to balance scope, functionality, performance, and time-to-implementation; meet regularly to discuss work status and obstacles, provide encouragement and constructive feedback; establish individual and organizational objectives that align with business goals
- Present the status of Digital Evidence product(s) broadly across the organization while exhibiting command of the details
- Creatively generate solutions to a wide range of technical, workflow, and business problems
- Gather and meaningfully present quantitative and qualitative data from market and end users to drive product strategy
- Operate with autonomy while proactively reducing ambiguity for your team and your cross-functional peers and partner organizations
- Assess and consolidate all efforts within product domain (includes risks and impacts, costs, sequencing, and change management)
- Develop new product standards, procedures, and action plans for continuous improvement
- May manage 3 or more scrum teams
- Respond to a high level of oversight as needed for reporting, finance, compliance, security, and other regulatory requirements; Manage large and complex budgets and funding releases.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- 7+ years' experience in product/program management and/or technology working on consumer or enterprise solutions (or equivalent practical experience)
- Proven track record of delivering successful products that achieve key business outcomes
- Experience with end-to-end product delivery using Scrum/Agile methodologies (e.g. SAFe)
- Strong leadership presence and ability to question and challenge the status quo at all levels of the organization
- Ability to make data driven decisions when possible and to fall back on well supported intuition when data is not available
- Ability to problem-solve within constraints that truly exist and break through constraints that don’t actually exist
- Experience overseeing product strategy and roadmap definition; skill in evaluating trade-offs and leading exploration of new opportunities with technical and non-technical team members
- Analytical skillset; Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative market and product research and synthesizing insights to drive strategy and feature development
- Skill in vendor management and collaboration
- Experience solving complex user interaction problems with creative solutions in cooperation with vendors, UX, Engineering and others
- Demonstrated success influencing and leading cross functional teams; can clearly articulate a problem and focus a team on measurable outcomes
- Excellent problem-solving skills, well-structured written and verbal communication
- Comfort understanding and discussing technology concepts and building consensus by translating between technical and non-technical audiences
- Well-organized and able to manage multiple high-complexity efforts with competing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills; Demonstrated ability to influence stakeholders successfully without formal authority and lead cross-functional teams across business units
- Scrum/Agile Certification
- Change Management experience and/or certification
- Direct domain experience in law, safety, justice and/or experience with Public Safety products including Dispatch, RMS, Case Management, or Evidence Management a plus
- Experience in enterprise file sharing in any industry is a plus
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the final dose of a vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
A completed King County Application with an attached resume and cover letter are required for consideration.
The recruitment for this position is open to all qualified candidates. In addition to filling the current vacancy, this position may be used to fill future vacancies.
This position is represented by Local 117: Information Technology
(For internal use only: Classification: IT Project Manager III - 7331300)
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01This position is open to Internal King County Information Technology (KCIT) employees and eligible Priority Placement participants ONLY. Only current KCIT employees and eligible Priority Placement participants applications will be considered. Are you a current KCIT employee?
02Are you applying to this position as an eligible current or previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant? Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff? Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
03If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County and I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. Additionally, the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.