Journey Applications Developer
This is an amazing opportunity to be engaged in the election process!
This benefits-eligible Term-Limited Temporary (TLT) position is anticipated to last for 2 years with the possibility of extension. A Special Duty Assignment may be considered for King County Career Service employees who have passed their initial probationary period.
King County Department of Elections is searching for an energetic and resourceful professional who likes to "get stuff done." The Journey Applications Developer position in the Elections Department combines an exciting environment with the opportunity to cultivate talents and apply a variety of skills. The ideal candidate will thrive in an innovative, fast-paced environment and will not hesitate to roll up both sleeves, work hard, have fun, and get the job done.
The Elections IT team is looking for a Journey Applications Developer to aid us in the migration of our small Windows applications to WebApps and help make a difference. This role involves maintaining and developing software solutions in the Microsoft ecosystem. Using the latest versions of .Net, you will develop solutions supporting Election’s business functions across the agency. The ideal candidate will have C# skills and be versed in Visual Studio development tools.
Who We Are: King County Elections (KCE) manages voter registrations and elections for more than 1.4 million voters in King County, one of the largest vote-by-mail counties in the United States. KCE's mission is to conduct accessible, secure, and accurate elections. As a leader in providing inclusive elections, KCE is focused on three key priorities – (1) actively identifying and working to remove barriers to voting at both the individual and community level, (2) strengthening relationships with community and governmental partners, and (3) creating a culture of professional growth and development, openness and inclusion. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx .
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. Applications will be reviewed as received and the most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process.
Materials Required to Apply: A completed online King County employment Application, a Resume, and Cover Letter are required and should be attached before submitting your application. The cover letter should describe how your skills and experience meet or exceed the requirements of the job.
Work Location(s): This position is located at Renton Elections Building, 919 SW Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057. During 2022, the majority of the work will be performed through telecommuting.
Work Schedule: This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is not overtime eligible. The workweek is typically 40 hours per week, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Candidates are required to be available to work additional hours, typically evenings, during the Election cycle and as needed to support the business or to respond to service issues or failures.
- Job Duties
- Support, migrate, develop, and test software solutions using Microsoft .NET platform with Microsoft Visual Studio with oversight from a more senior developer.
- Modernize, implement updates, diagnose, and fix bugs in current applications.
- Develop and maintain documentation for applications and systems, maintain the code base in Azure DevOps.
- Write end-user documentation and/or provide application-specific training to end users, as needed.
- Work directly with end-users and business managers to obtain user requirements, use cases, present conceptual design to users, take input, and be a conduit during user testing.
- Aid in the updating and changes needed to move Windows applications to WebApps hosted either in the data center on virtual servers or in Azure cloud-based services.
- Use of MS-SQL queries and stored procedures and creating custom reports.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Working knowledge in .NET development with some proficiency in the Microsoft Enterprise Suite – C#, .NET, and Visual Studio.
- Familiarity with cloud integration and Microsoft Azure – App Service, Logic Apps, Service Bus, API Management, and Functions.
- Working knowledge in NoSQL and non-relational data storage designs.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to creatively come up with new and useful ideas and solutions.
- Strong analytical skills: ability to synthesize information.
- Ability to quickly learn new processes, technologies, or development skills.
- Prior experience in public sector and/or a desire to work in public service.
- Supplemental Information
Travel to work locations throughout King County with limited or no public transportation services is required. A valid Washington State Driver's License is required to operate King County vehicles.
Union Representation: This position is represented by Protec17 - IT
Temporary Telecommuting Requirement
The work associated with this position will be performed through a combination of teleworking complemented with onsite work and meetings as needed. Employees must reside in Washington state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required, including the wearing of masks in some situations. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team that is redefining how we work as we transition to the department's hybrid environment.
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor’s Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Sr. HR Business Partner
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Please indicate below which of the following Microsoft development technologies you have working experience (select all that apply).
02Are you familiar with cloud integration and Microsoft Azure – App Service, Logic Apps, Service Bus, API Management, and Functions?
- Visual Studio
- ASP.NET MVC
- ASP.NET Web API
- .Net Core
- Microsoft Entity Framework 6+
- React / Angular frameworks
- None of the above
03Do you have working knowledge of NoSQL and non-relational data storage designs?
04Which of the following best describes your response to the following question: Are you applying to this position as a Priority Placement Program Participant and is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time and do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
05If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Program participant, to be considered you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff06This position requires a COVER LETTER and RESUME. If you have not yet attached or pasted in your resume and cover letter you may still do it at this point in the application process. Have you included a resume and cover letter with your application?
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff AND the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of full-time status when compared to this one.