Journey-Level Electrician (E2 : IBEW L77-Metro Transit Electrician Constructor)
*THIS OPPORTUNITY IS OPEN TO CURRENT KING COUNTY EMPLOYEES AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC*
Do you have experience working in substations? Are you interested in the maintenance and repair of electrical systems and equipment? If working with in an electrical maintenance environment gives you a charge, this opportunity is for you!
We are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic hands-on Electrician Constructors in the Facilities division of King County Metro Transit. Electrician Constructors are responsible for the maintenance and repair of electrical systems and equipment, power distribution systems, high voltage trolley overhead systems, transit radio and wireless communication systems, fire/life safety systems, and security systems including CCTV.
NOTE: This recruitment will be used to fill 1 career service position and 3 term-limited temporary/TLT (fully-benefited temporary)/ SDA positions, as well as other career service/TLT/SDA positions in case such positions need to be filled over the next year, via the eligibility list generated from this recruitment.
About King County
King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda aimed at advancing regional change and is developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents, regardless of their race or income. All of these qualities make this King County one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
King County Metro Transit is a regional leader in helping people move quickly throughout the region, reducing commuter stress, greening the environment, and radically improving urban air quality by providing comfortable, effective transit services for the thousands of commuters and other residents of King County, Washington. Working for Metro means working for a leader in this nation's public transportation industry
King County provides our employees with a free transportation pass (good on most transit systems throughout the Puget Sound region). We offer a benefits package that includes competitive medical, dental, vision benefits for the whole family, with competitive vacation, sick, and holiday pay provided, as well as the option of participating in the County's deferred compensation plan (a 457 plan). For more details, please visit Benefits, Payroll and Retirement - King County
- Job Duties
- Applying equity and social justice principles is a daily responsibility and a foundational expectation for all King County employees. In this role, you will apply equity and social justice principles that exemplify shared values, behaviors, and practices to all aspects of the work.
The electrician constructor will perform the following duties in a safe operating condition and ensure all wiring is in compliance with existing codes and safety standards.
- Installation, maintenance, and repair of substations, switchgear, relays, electrical systems, fire life safety systems, and equipment within the King County Metro Transit system.
- Maintain all electrical wiring on Metro properties in proper working order. Includes all types of single-phase and three-phase circuits for lighting and power with voltages up to 26 kV AC and 750 V DC.
- Perform routine inspection and maintenance of substations and their components, such as switches, transformers, diodes, fuses, relays, stationary batteries, and chargers.
- Maintain and repair auxiliary power plants, transfer switches, and uninterrupted power supplies.
- Maintain and repair low voltage systems, such as security alarms, intercom, and public address equipment.
- Respond to emergency repair calls during non-working hours as needed.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
We are looking for candidates who have the following minimum qualifications:
- Journey-level experience performing electrical work
- Graduation from a recognized electrical apprenticeship program, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current journey-level Electrician Certificate (EL-01) from Washington State Department of Labor & Industries or obtain EL- 01 within 6 months of hire.
- Current and valid Washington State driver's license (or a current license in another state with the ability to obtain a WA license by hire date) and acceptable driving record
- Basic computer skills to include knowledge of and standard Windows applications, with tablet or other wireless data devices experience preferred
- Seattle Fire Department Type FA-1 Fire and Life Safety Certificate
- Washington State Lift Truck Certification
- Washington State Flagger Certificate
- Rail right-of-way training certificate (provided internally)
- Journey-level Electrician Certificate (EL-01) from Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (if not currently held).
- At least two years of industrial or utility control experience
- Knowledge of Washington State Confined Space Guidelines
- Knowledge of National Electrical Codes (NEC)
- Knowledge of the principles of electrical distribution and generation systems
- Knowledge of electrical troubleshooting and diagnosis
- Knowledge of PLC/s motors and control
- FLIR Infrared Certification
- Experience working with high voltage systems
Required to work from ladders and elevated equipment. The worker is frequently required to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance and lift /carry objects up to 100 pounds with assistance. Work is routinely performed outside in a variety of weather conditions or in confined areas; requires exposure to traffic and high voltage equipment. All employees are required to wear Arc Flash protection during all working hours.
- Supplemental Information
Ready to apply?
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers. Together,
with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work, and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion, and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way, and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native Americans, people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
(New) Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination as a condition of employment. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single -dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation. This directive applies to employees in the Executive branch*, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact: email@example.com. If you are looking for technical support with your application please call 1-855-524-5627 to reach a specialist. Please be advised that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application materials will be screened for qualifications. Competitive applicants may be invited to participate in a panel interview process. Employment offers will be finalized after candidates have successfully completed the pre-employment process (which includes physical examinations and drug screen). Reference checks and reviews of driving records will also be conducted prior to any final offer of employment.
This position is considered safety-sensitive. Applicants are required to undergo drug testing prior to employment and will be subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return-to-duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing in compliance with Federal DOT alcohol and controlled substances testing program protocols.
This recruitment will be used to fill one Career Service position and three SDAs/TLTs, and may be used to create an eligibility list for future career service CS, TLT, and SDA positions that may occur. Eligibility lists are valid for twelve months, or until exhausted, at the discretion of the hiring authority.
Who May Apply
This position is open to the general public and King County Employees.
Forms and Materials Required
Applicants for this position are required to submit the complete application form and answer all of the supplemental questions. Please DO NOT atach a resume or cover letter, as they will NOT be reviewed.
2255 4th Ave S, Seattle, W 98134. Work will occur at multiple locations throughout King County Metro Transit.
Employees must be able and willing to work any shift, including any combination of days off, at any location. Positions to be filled by this recruitment are non-exempt and therefore eligible for overtime pay.
This position is represented by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77
Class Code 730100 Electrician Constructor
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Human Resource Analyst
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff03Do you currently possess a valid Driver's License? Please indicate if you ALSO hold a Class A or Class B CDL license, and any endorsements. Check all that apply.
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.
04Have you had a license in another state besides Washington in the last 5 years?
- Valid driver's license
- Class A CDL
- Class B CDL
- Air Break Endorsement
- Passenger Endorsement
- I do not have a driver's license
05In the last 5 years, has your license been revoked or suspended?
06Do you have any of the following violations on your driving record in the last five years? Select all that apply.
07How many traffic code (moving) violations have you had in the last 5 years?
- Reckless or negligent driving
- DWI/DUI - driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Hit and run incident
- Vehicular homicide or vehicular assault
- Open container violation
- More than one at-fault accident
- None of the above
08Please indicate your electrical experiance /education here. Please check all that apply.
- 5 or more
09For the question above, please indicate where you obtained the educational experience (or equivalent) you have checked. If none, enter "N/A."10Do you possess a current Washington State Journey Level Electrician Certificate (EL-01)?
- On the job experience only
- Graduation from electrician or wireman apprenticeship
- Graduation from utility constructor apprenticeship
- Graduation from a recognized two year electrical vocational program
- 1-2 yrs journey-level
- 3-5 yrs journey-level electrical experience
- more than 5 yrs journey-level electrical experience
11Please indicate the areas below in which you have a working knowledge:
12Are you willing and able to obtain a Seattle Fire Department Type FA-1 Fire and Life Safety Certification within six months of hire?
- Confined space guidelines
- Principles of electrical distribution and generation systems
- Troubleshooting and diagnosis of electrical systems
- PLC/s motors and controls
- FLIR infrared
- High voltage equipment up to and including 26KV
- None, but willing to learn
13Are you willing and able to obtain a Washington State Lift Truck Certification within six months of date of hire?
14Are you willing and able to obtain a Washington State Flagger Certificate within six months of hire?
15Are you familiar with standard Windows applications?
16Are you familiar with the basic operation of a tablet or similar wireless data devices?
17Please indicate below the particular working conditions that you are willing and able to perform:
18If you have a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, will you need accommodation in the testing process? If you check the "YES" box, the human resources staff person coordinating this recruitment will send you a request asking for additional information. (This confidential information is solicited for the purposes of providing reasonable accommodation only).
- Working overtime on an as needed basis
- Responding to emergency callouts after hours (for Career Service appointments)
- Working any of the three shifts (Day, Swing, Grave)
- Working any day of the week, including weekends
- None of the above