KCC Desktop Support Specialist
If you are a public service driven individual with a passion for creative technology solutions, the King County Council’s IT team wants to hear from you! This dynamic team is looking for an action-oriented Desktop Support Specialist, who can hit the ground running, is an effective troubleshooter skilled in application installations and upgrades and process improvement to support the entire Legislative Branch and King County Flood Control District.
This position requires a self-starter who can be trusted to maintain confidentiality, who has experience working with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds, installing, configuring and testing new applications, upgrading and installing network user desktops and a variety of support and maintenance of the Council’s network and services.
The successful candidate will be proficient using and supporting Microsoft services and software; have a strong sense of teamwork; an active listener who pays attention to the client’s needs and strives to understand how individual pieces fit into the overall goals of the organization. This is an exciting opportunity to join the King County Council’s team and provide IT support to an innovative employer that oversees the second largest government and the most populous county in Washington State, while collaborating with various groups across King County.
King County Council is committed to upholding and promoting equal opportunity in employment. The Council encourages people of all backgrounds, cultures and religions to apply, including veterans, people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities. We value diversity and strive to hire a workforce that reflects the County we serve. We believe a diverse workforce is a strong workforce.
MEET THE KING COUNTY COUNCIL:
Take a look at the Council’s message to county residents, priorities, services and information.
King County Council
- Job Duties
The following duties are not intended to represent the entire functional capacity of the position at the task level. In order to be considered for this opportunity, an applicant must be able to do the following:
- Support applications, which requires a thorough analysis of the business processes that these systems support and an in-depth understanding of client needs.
- Maintain and support systems requiring modifications and enhancements; client-server or web-based applications.
- Respond to system failures; analyze and resolve underlying problems; perform virus security operations, distribute software over the network or other similar operations.
- Evaluate existing applications for process efficiency, system integrity, security and data quality; redesign and replace selected application systems as needed.
- Provide consultation services and presentations to management and customers; provide peer consultation.
- Develop and maintain documentation for applications and systems, programs, processes and operating instructions.
- Provide training as needed using a variety of methods; may provide and organize structured training, maintain training documentation, and share technical information with other IT staff; may train new hires.
- May support applications that cross departments/agencies.
- May be called upon to provide support for service issues or failures at any time.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
Our Ideal Candidate will have:
- An Associate degree in computer science or related technical field. Additional experience and/or industry certifications may substitute for higher education.
- Three years’ experience supporting IT systems and services to individuals with diverse backgrounds.
- Experience providing to a wide variety of audiences, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills, initiative, and judgment.
- Competent working with Cloud integration, Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Microsoft PowerShell, Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft O365, Teams and Zoom is a PLUS.
Competitive Candidates will:
- Have a working knowledge of networking operating systems, configurations, commands and network protocols;
- Be skilled in handling multiple competing priorities; independent judgement; or any combination of education and/or experience that clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the scope of the job duties as described in the job description may also be considered.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Possess strong analytical and strategic skills; ability to synthesize complex information to decision makers.
- Be flexible and an agile thinker in sometimes chaotic situations; experience working with elected officials and a strong understanding of divisions within King County.
- Experience applying troubleshooting techniques and tools to resolve problems.
- Ensure the confidentiality of private information.
- Supplemental Information
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement:
All Legislative Branch staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination to Council HR staff by December 2, 2021. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by December 2, 2021 or upon hire. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Who may apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Work location: This position is located in the King County Courthouse, 516 Third Avenue, Seattle WA 98104. During the COVID-19 emergency, some temporary teleworking may be possible, depending upon the Council’s operational needs.
Work schedule: This is a full-time position working 35 hours per week. Typical work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Variations from those hours may occur, including early mornings, evenings and weekends as needed. This position is hourly position and is overtime eligible.
FORMS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED:
- Cover Letter highlighting what makes you qualified for this position.
- Response to supplemental questions
NOTE: Failure to submit all required forms and materials may prohibit further consideration.
Selection Process: Applicants will be screened for qualifications, clarity, and completeness of application materials. The most competitive applicants will be invited for an interview.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01A background check is required for this position. All candidates must undergo a thorough background process and reference checks. Are you willing to undergo a background check as described above? Check one of the following:
02Are you proficient in the following programs or services? Check all that apply.
03Please list any other computer programs (not listed above) in which you consider yourself proficient. (Please limit your response to 150 words or fewer)04o you have experience working with elected officials? Check one of the following:
- Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- Microsoft PowerShell
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft O365 and Teams
05If you answered yes to the above question, please describe your experience. (Please limit your response to 150 words or fewer)06Please describe your experience with the programs and services you checked above (Please limit your response to 250 words or fewer).