LAN Administrator Senior
This position is open to Internal King County Information Technology (KCIT) employees and eligible Priority Placement participants ONLY. Only current KCIT employees and eligible Priority Placement participants applications will be considered.
The work associated with this position will be performed primarily on site.
King County Department of Information Technology (KCIT) Customer Support Services (CSS) team is seeking to hire a LAN Administrator Senior to join our Provisioning team. The LAN Administrator Senior works on assigned internal improvement projects and/or recurring client-side issues affecting multiple customers; applies advanced diagnostic techniques to identify problems, investigate causes, and recommend solutions to correct failures; acts as escalation points from managers, co-workers/co-teams, and outside vendors; provides input on individual and team performance evaluations and metrics; diagnoses root cause through end-user discussions, operations, and/or vendor research; and prevents future (major) incidents by participating in post-incident reviews.
King County Department of Information Technology (KCIT)
KCIT uses the power of technology to digitally transform King County. Building vibrant communities through digital equity and social justice, KCIT offers innovative solutions that engage, empower, and serve our residents, businesses, communities and interested stakeholders. As the first-place recipient of the 15th annual National Association of Counties (NACo) Digital Counties Survey, KCIT is recognized for its vision, strategy, innovation, and collaboration. KCIT has a focus of delivering smart technology solutions that support customers, building stronger communities through innovation.
KCIT is providing the building blocks for many of the region's most critical services. As the business solutions partner, we collaborate with the 18 County departments to develop products and services that better serve the needs of our customers and our community. To learn more about KCIT, please visit: http://kingcounty.gov/depts/it.aspx
The work assiciated with this position will be performed primarily on site. Employees will have access to shared workspaces at various King County facilities. Employees must reside in Washington state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required, including the wearing of masks in some situations. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team that is redefining how we work as we transition to the department's hybrid environment.
King County offers a robust benefits package to support you and your family in a variety of ways. To learn more about the benefits offered here, please click on the Benefits tab or click here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
The normal workweek for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Alternative work schedules may be considered. This position is not eligible for overtime pay.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Shannon Hoeper, firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-263-6957.
- Job Duties
- Prioritize and lead Provisioning team responses to production and operational interruptions/incidents. The LAN Administrator Senior is responsible for escalating to other groups such as Windows Desktop Automation as needed.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for incidents and interruptions related to provisioning client-side hardware and software. Gathers and provides the detailed information needed to escalate to other teams. Keeps the Provisioning team and upper management informed about the status of incidents and interruptions. When needed, collaborates with escalating team(s) in testing, troubleshooting and resolution verification.
- Recommend new client hardware and software standards to management that focuses on customer needs and as well as supportability standards. Also responsible for tracking existing client-side hardware standards and forecasted end-of-life. As hardware approaches end-of-life, responsible for obtaining and testing replacement model, along with purchase price quote. Provides management with testing results, a review listing the pros and cons of the new model, price quote and ultimate recommendation.
- Participate in Security and Major Incident functions as appropriate – particularly related to client-side computing.
- Lead and/or participate in concurrent internal Provisioning improvement projects, making recommendations and implementing changes.
- Test and/or implement changes and upgrades for client-side systems and software.
- Create PowerShell scripts and design SQL reports for management and the Provisioning team.
- Create and run other Provisioning software licensing reports for the purpose of internal auditing. These reports may be produced from third party software licensing administration portals (i.e. Adobe, Bluebeam, AutoCAD, etc.) and/or by designing and running reports directly out of SCCM.
- Responsible for ongoing daily, weekly and monthly systems-based Provisioning reports.
- Troubleshoot LAN/WAN connectivity problems and remote access issues.
- Coordinate and communicate with appropriate information technology (IT) groups and business units when implementing change.
- Facilitate cross-training and cross-team collaboration.
- Administer permissions to data on Provisioning servers, network resources such as Provisioning’s CIFS, and Microsoft Teams.
- Analyze business systems through information gathering, scoping, and data presentation.
- Ensure operational documentation runbooks are up to date, reviewed, and reliable.
- Support King County's onsite, remote, and vendor connections, configurations, permissions, installations, onboarding, offboarding, and advanced troubleshooting.
- Support applications and systems across the enterprise.
- Assist with design, scripting, and Provisioning-related desktop automation activities, through SCCM exports, PowerShell scripting and SQL reports.
- Troubleshoot Workstation, Group Policy, and other first-level technologies.
- Coach LAN Administrators and less experienced team members within the Provisioning team.
- Demonstrated experience with current enterprise client management tools such as imaging tools, storage encryption tools, enterprise antivirus, SCCM, Active Directory, Remote Assistance Tools, Windows Operating systems, Microsoft Office, Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams.
- Troubleshoot, research, and resolve end user standard applications (custom and commercial off-the shelf) issues in workstations with multiple platforms and operating systems at a high technical level.
- Use diagnostic tools to troubleshoot problems associated with network connectivity, and workstation hardware/software.
- Resolve end user workstation, printer, software and peripheral problems on a variety of systems.
- May be required to provide onsite support services to customers in solving problems incurred in the installation and/or operation of hardware/software products.
- May be required to provide support by answering helpdesk calls, answering live support chats, responding to web portal tickets.
- Manage multiple types of employee and non-employee accounts by creating, editing and restoring access.
- Manage Cherwell ticket queues to promptly and accurately escalate tickets that cannot be completed.
- Apply and remove permissions to user accounts.
- Enable and disable user accounts for multiple enterprise type accounts.
- Manage the IT related process of On-Boarding and Off-Boarding of employees.
- Perform preliminary troubleshooting of business applications.
- May run Major Incident process.
- Train other staff members on assigned processes and technologies.
- May be required to drive to different county locations to provide workstation support.
- May be required to write technical documentation
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience providing workstation support, end user support, troubleshooting computer equipment, resolving end user applications and troubleshooting network connectivity issues.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience providing support for recent Microsoft Operating Systems and Microsoft Office Suites (E.g. Win 7, 10, Office 2013 or newer)
- Skilled with diagnostic tools used to troubleshoot problems associated with network connectivity, and workstation hardware or software.
- Skilled at addressing security issues and utilizing appropriate tools.
- Experience working with an IT service management tool.
- Experience with building/imaging computer hardware utilizing SCCM.
- Extensive knowledge of local area networks and related systems, hardware and software installation and configuration, and systems integration, VPN network connectivity issues.
- Extensive knowledge of level 1 cloud based technologies such as OneDrive, SharePoint, O365.
- Strong troubleshooting, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experienced with mobile device management tools and best practices
- Ability to establish and maintain exceptional customer relationships.
- Skill in collaborating effectively with management, peers, other KCIT service teams and customers.
- Skill in building consensus and coming to a resolution among a diverse group of individuals with conflicting viewpoints.
- Exceptionally positive attitude towards peers and leadership, learns from mistakes, seeks feedback, is open to criticism, and is easily coachable.
- Ability to communicate orally or in writing; including the ability to communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Skill in handling multiple competing priorities
- Skilled in writing and in editing technical documentation
- Successful completion of criminal background check including fingerprinting
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds with reasonable accommodation
- May be responsible for the physical loading, unloading and/or sorting of equipment and boxes of varying sizes and weights by hand, including lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying, placing, as well as physical bending, twisting, kneeling, stooping, or crawling in a safe and efficient manner
- Experience with PowerShell scripting
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with reporting from within SCCM
- Understanding of ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) process.
- CompTIA A+ Certification.
- Microsoft Technology Associate Certifications.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience in supporting Mac OS
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the final dose of a vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
A completed King County Application, an attached Resume and Cover Letter are required.
The recruitment for this position is open to all qualified applicants and may be used to fill future vacancies.
Union Status: represented by Protec17: Information Technology
(For internal use only: Classification: LAN Administrator - Senior (7311300))
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01This position is open to Internal King County Information Technology (KCIT) employees and eligible Priority Placement participants ONLY. Only current KCIT employees and eligible Priority Placement participants applications will be considered. Are you a current KCIT employee?
02The person hired for this position must successfully pass a background investigation. Are you willing to undergo a thorough background investigation prior to an offer of employment? This will include reference checks with previous employers, and a criminal background check including fingerprinting.
03Are you applying to this position as an eligible current or previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant? Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff? Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
04If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County and I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. Additionally, the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.