Do you love to swim?? We are seeking Lifeguards to work at the King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way WA. Lifeguards are responsible for the supervision and safety of pool users and spectators by educating and promoting habits and attitudes that lead to safe recreation, and for enforcing safety rules and responding to emergencies in an appropriate manner. Individuals must be able to work both independently and as part of an overall staff team. This position requires the ability to deal courteously and appropriately with the public in a variety of situations. Lifeguards may be required to work special events, evenings, weekends and split shifts.
Be a part of King County Parks! The King County Parks mission is to serve communities and enhance regional quality of life through stewardship of parks, trails, facilities, and public open space in the King County region. Our system consists of more than 200 parks, 175 miles of regional trails, 130 miles of backcountry trails, and 26,000 acres of open space.
Who is Eligible: This position is open to all qualified candidates.
Work Location: King County Aquatic Center, 650 SW Campus Dr., Federal Way WA. 98023.
Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer.
Work Schedule: The work schedule for this position is flexible and can be varied and event dependent. It may require weekends and late evening work. This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is overtime eligible.
- Job Duties
- Educate the public in the rules and policies of the King County Aquatic Center.
- Enforce rules and policies of the King County Aquatic Center.
- Respond to all emergency situations.
- Work with other King County employees to provide safe conditions for the public.
- Report all unsafe situations or conditions to appropriate parties.
- Report all incidents of damages or injuries using appropriate forms. Complete reports accurately and in a timely manner.
- Adhere to blood borne pathogen training and safety standards.
- Promote good relationships with the public and user groups.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all patrons and staff.
- Attend scheduled staff training.
- Wear the designated uniform as stated in the staff manual.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Must possess Lifeguarding certification from the American Red Cross
- Passage of a pre-employment water rescue skills test is required before candidates can be hired to work in this position
- Current American Red Cross certification in Lifeguard Training, Community First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- Current Northwest Lifeguard Preparation Course certification.
- Current Northwest Lifeguard Certification (highly recommended)
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers and to handle difficult situations using discretion, patience, proper etiquette, and professionalism.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to positively interact with a variety of people in a diverse work environment.
- Knowledge of aquatic programs and safety procedures.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated punctuality, dependability and good work attendance.
- Physical Requirements:
- Ability to respond to emergency situations.
- Maintain a minimum of 20/40 vision. Use of corrective lenses is acceptable.
- Ability to perform duties involving physical labor; such as bending, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, stooping, squatting, pushing, and twisting.
- Ability to perform strenuous activity.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Candidates may be tested on the following skills:
- Rescue of an active victim without the use of rescue equipment.
- Recovery of a submerged victim including safe removal from the water and follow-up care based on the condition of the victim.
- Rescue of a shallow water head, neck, or back injury including securing the victim to a back board and safe removal from the water.
- Supplemental Information
Application and Selection Process: Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness including online application, responsiveness to the list of qualifications, skills, and abilities. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in a panel interview process.
Applications without the following required materials may not be?considered for this position.
- King County application
- Responses to supplemental questions
Union Representation: This position is not represented.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
David Hersey at 206-477-3302
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
This position is not eligible for King County leave, holiday, insured, or other benefits. Please contact the recruiter on the posting for any additional questions regarding associated benefits.
01Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant And Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff03Please indicate which of the following certifications you currently possess:
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.
04If you do not currently possess one or more of these certifications, do you have the ability to obtain them? Candidates must have these certifications before they can work in this position.
- American Red Cross certification in Lifeguard Training
- American Red Cross certification in Community First Aid
- American Red Cross certification in CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- Northwest Lifeguard Preparation Course certification
- Northwest Lifeguard Certification
- none of the above
05The work schedule for this position is variable and is dependent on events and class schedules. It may require weekends, late evening work and/or split shifts. Are you able to work weekends, evenings and/or split shifts?
06If you answered NO to the above question, please describe any scheduling constraints you may have.