Network Engineer Senior
King County Department of Information Technology (KCIT) is seeking Network Engineer Seniors to join our team. The Network Engineer Senior position is responsible for operation and maintenance of the King County Enterprise Network (KC WAN), the Inter-Governmental Network (IGN) and Transport and Internet Services Network (INet). This position is responsible for performing high/low level network design, configuration, installation, troubleshooting and support for King County Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), Intergovernmental Network (IGN), Transport and Internet Services Networks (INet) which services King County government and independent government organizations support by contract.
King County Department of Information Technology (KCIT)
KCIT uses the power of technology to digitally transform King County. Building vibrant communities through digital equity and social justice, KCIT offers innovative solutions that engage, empower, and serve our residents, businesses, communities and interested stakeholders. As the first-place recipient of the 15th annual National Association of Counties (NACo) Digital Counties Survey, KCIT is recognized for its vision, strategy, innovation, and collaboration. KCIT has a focus of delivering smart technology solutions that support customers, building stronger communities through innovation.
KCIT is providing the building blocks for many of the region's most critical services. As the business solutions partner, we collaborate with the 18 County departments to develop products and services that better serve the needs of our customers and our community. To learn more about KCIT, please visit: http://kingcounty.gov/depts/it.aspx
The work associated with this position will be performed through a combination of teleworking complemented with onsite work and meetings as needed. Employees will have access to shared workspaces at various King County facilities. Employees must reside in Washington state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements.
Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection (access may be supplemented in some situations) where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required, including the wearing of masks in some situations. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team that is redefining how we work as we transition to the department's hybrid environment.
King County offers a robust benefits package to support you and your family in a variety of ways. To learn more about the benefits offered here, please click on the Benefits tab or click here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
The normal workweek for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Alternative work schedules may be considered. This position is not eligible for overtime pay. This position participates in after hour support rotation.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Shannon Hoeper, email@example.com or 206-263-6957.
- Job Duties
- Design and develop integration strategies for technologies, networks, and systems.
- Provide support of existing networks, including configuration of Cisco routers, switches, wireless, remote access, Adva optical ethernet, and other wide area network devices and services.
- Troubleshoot WAN/LAN issues such as latency and connectivity problems.
- Provide support and design for compliance efforts.
- Provide analysis, trending, and utilization reporting.
- Create and maintain appropriate technical documentation and configurations.
- Participate in projects, work collaboratively with project managers, customers, and team members, and collect, analyze and summarize project information
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Enterprise-level network engineering, including expert knowledge of devices and cloud services (e.g. routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers and VPN): 5+ years
- Experience with enterprise wireless networks: 2 years
- Design/QC/Management of core network environments: 1 year (Preferred)
- Experience configuring/managing software defined networking (SDN) (Preferred)
- Current knowledge of Machine to Machine (M2M) and Enterprise Internet of Things (IoT).
- Experience with an Enterprise Transport Internet Service Provider (Preferred)
- Experience automating the configuration of network devices, policies and open-source utilities including but not limited to Ansible, Docker, Jenkins etc. (Preferred)
- Possess analytical skills to investigate faults within enterprise data networks.
- Ability to secure network systems by establishing and enforcing policies, defining and monitoring access
- Demonstrated knowledge of documentation and enforcing system standards
- Familiarity with risk analysis and mitigation, when dealing with change management
- DWDM & optical transport and transceiver knowledge
- Ability to read and understand designs
- System engineering, test and link analysis skills with vendor-specific tools (OSA, OTDR, Power meter)
- Knowledge of industry standards, fiber/fiber management, electronics, AC-DC Wiring
- Ability to use Visio, Excel, Power point, and collaboration tools
- Experience with as-built documentation
- CCNP, CCIE, or CISSP, ITIL, industry recognized IT network/security related certifications a plus
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the final dose of a vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
A completed King County Application, Resume and Cover Letter are required for consideration. Applications submitted without all materials will not be considered.
The recruitment for this position is open to all qualified candidates. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
(For internal use only: Classification: Network Engineer Senior - 7312300)
This position is represented by Protec17: Information Technology
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you authorized to work in the United States?
02Does your authorization require sponsorship now or in the future from an employer or other source? (This does not preclude you from being considered for this position.)
03The person hired for this position must successfully pass a background investigation. Are you willing to undergo a thorough background investigation prior to an offer of employment? This will include reference checks with previous employers, and a criminal background check including fingerprinting.
04Are you applying to this position as an eligible current or previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant? Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff? Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
05If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County and I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. Additionally, the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.