Parks Maintenance Plumber I -TLT
King County Parks is seeking a skilled Plumber to join our highly productive maintenance team that provides excellent service to all King County residents and park users. This position is responsible for performing journey-level plumbing duties including maintaining, repairing, modifying and constructing plumbing, mechanical and structural systems in King County Parks facilities.
Individuals interested in joining our team must be committed to racial, social and economic equality for ALL people in King County. We welcome applications from people who will help us consistently demonstrate the values of equity, respect and partnership.
To learn about the King County Equity and Social Justice Strategic Plan click here.
Duration: This is a Term-Limited Temporary position that is anticipated to last up to 12 months.
About the Division: Be a part of King County Parks! King County Parks has evolved from 150 acres in 1938 to more than 28,000 acres. Today, our system consists of more than 200 parks, 175 miles of regional trails, and 215 miles of backcountry trails. Our mission is to steward, enhance and acquire parks to inspire healthy communities. We seek to cultivate strong relationships with community partners to enhance park amenities for all King County residents to enjoy today and for generations to come. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/parks.
And check us out on the socials at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Flickr.
Who is Eligible: This position is open to all qualified candidate.
Work Location: This position works on site and in areas throughout King County. Reporting location is the Parks Soos Creek Shop located at 24810 148th AVE SE, Covington.
Work Schedule: This full-time position works a 40-hour work week, Monday- Friday. Work shifts and hours may vary due to maintenance and project requirements. This position is covered under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is overtime eligible.
- Job Duties
- Perform preventive maintenance on plumbing system components. Repairs and replace plumbing systems as needed
- Maintain, repair and modify fire-protection safety equipment and fire sprinkler systems.
- Perform minor repairs to park buildings, grounds and facilities.
- Perform maintenance for pool water sanitation and related pool environment equipment.
- Design, lay-out and install waste, vent and domestic water systems.
- Mount/install plumbing fixtures, trim and related hardware/accessories.
- Weld and fabricate plates, brackets and pipes.
- Maintain plumbing fixtures from source to local sewer systems.
- Estimate and evaluate plumbing projects.
- Test and certify backflow assemblies.
- Ability to work on low pressure gas and propane.
- Respond to trouble calls, customer complaints, equipment failures, and work requests.
- Plan, design, construct and coordinate smaller construction projects.
- As part of a review team, review CIP plans for functionality and standardization.
- Ability to work in confined spaces such as: septic tanks and potable water tanks.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Experience in installation and maintenance of domestic water, wastewater and vent systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of uniform plumbing code.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in installation and maintenance of fire sprinkler systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with sewage systems, septic pumps, tanks, and drain fields.
- Demonstrated knowledge of brazing/soldering techniques.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communicate effectively with supervisors and staff, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to positively interact with a variety of people in a diverse work environment.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service skills – in person and via e-mail or telephone using discretion, patience, etiquette, and professionalism.
- Experience and skill in reading and interpreting blueprints.
- Experience and skill in using tools typical of the plumbing trade.
- Demonstrated skill in troubleshooting, analyzing, and problem solving.
- Must have ability to perform physically demanding tasks including, bending, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, stooping, squatting, and twisting on a regular basis.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain punctual, reliable and regular attendance.
- Collaborates, builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Shows interpersonal savvy by relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Washington State Plumbers License
- Backflow Testing License
- Ability to pass a thorough background check and pre-employment physical.
- Supplemental Information
Application and Selection Process: Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness including online application, cover letter, and responsiveness to the list of qualifications, skills, and abilities. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in one or more panel interviews. Applications without the following required materials may not be considered for this position.
- King County application
- Cover Letter detailing your background and what you can bring to this position
- Responses to supplemental questions
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Patty Jurgens at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 477-4572
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Do you have a valid Washington State Plumber's License?
02Do you have a current backflow testing license?
03Do you have experience in design, layout and installing waste, vent and domestic water systems?
04If you answered YES to the previous question, please indicate the number of years and describe your experience. Be specific and indicate your employer and your job title.05Do you have experience in the repair, maintenance and installation of gravity fed and pressure fed septic systems?
06If you answered YES to the previous question, please indicate the number of years and describe your experience. Be specific and indicate your employer and your job title.07Do you have experience in maintaining plumbing fixtures from source to the septic system, including tanks, pumps and drain fields?
08If you answered YES to the previous question, please indicate the number of years and describe your experience. Be specific and indicate your employer and your job title.