PSB Summer Intern - Project Management
The King County Executive's Office of Performance, Strategy, and Budget (PSB) is hiring three (3) summer interns to work with several different teams within the office.
Interns will gain a firsthand understanding of the branches of government and how they interact with each other, get an overview of how projects, policies, and legislation are created and implemented, understand why civic engagement matters, and build an appreciation for the importance of public service in its many forms from elected officials, to staff, to stakeholders, to clients, and the economy/environment. Please note that each internship is posted individually.
ABOUT THE OFFICE
The Office of Performance, Strategy and Budget (PSB) is in the Executive department of King County government. It serves as a resource to the County's departments and agencies in developing and implementing budgets, strategic plans, business plans, financial plans, visual management tools, continuous improvement processes, and performance metrics. It is also responsible for regional planning and implementation of Lean process improvement. PSB is committed to becoming an inclusive, collegial, and open organization that models the County's values. PSB employees enjoy a flexible workplace, a lunchroom that often features home-cooked snacks, and frequent opportunities for collaboration and celebration. For additional information please visit our website: www.kingcounty.gov/exec/PSB.
This internship will be with the Project Management team in the Continuous Improvement section of PSB. The selected intern will be overseen and partnered with PMT Lead. The intern will support development of other operational and department project opportunities, processes, and initiatives. At the conclusion of the internship summary, the intern will make a presentation to the Project Management team.
- Job Duties
The project management intern will shadow an assigned PM and PMT Lead on ongoing projects. Duties will include:
- Assist with coordination and facilitation of projects by providing administrative and logistic support to the department and project teams, including scheduling, & coordinating meetings, generating meeting minutes and action item lists.
- Support simultaneous, small projects as assigned.
- Complete PM learning objectives to be discussed with supervisor, including principles of project management and continuous improvement.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
Qualifications and Experience
- Must be enrolled in a bachelor's or master's degree program and have completed one full year of study
- Well-organized and able to prioritize and manage time in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Able to work both independently and in a cooperative team environment to achieve goals.
- Able to communicate effectively and simplistically (verbally, written, and visually) complex information and can adapt quickly to a multitude of interpersonal situations.
- Proficient computer and typing skills including advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite; specifically: Teams, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Self-starter with a passion for learning who is not afraid to ask questions.
- Recognize job-related problems, analyze causes using existing techniques or tools, prepare and recommend solution alternatives.
- Requires ability to absorb knowledge quickly and develop skills professional skills.
- A "can do" and "in this together" attitude and approach to work.
- Work remotely and complete assignments autonomously.
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
WORK SCHEDULE FOR ALL INTERNSHIPS: The work schedule will be Monday-Friday. The workweek will consist of a minimum of 20 to a maximum of 40 hours (see each internship description for specific hours). These internships will last from early June to mid-August, although the position may begin later or end later depending on project and scheduling needs.
At this time, all internships will be virtual via online tools such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
FORMS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED: Application and supplemental questions available at http://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs , attach a resume, cover letter and writing sample to the on-line application in the Resume Attachment section. Please fully complete the online application.
CONTACT: If you have additional questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Seth Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants meeting qualifications will be screened based upon clarity, completeness, content, grammar and punctuation of their application materials. Selection process also includes submission of writing/work sample, interview and reference checks.
Priority will be given to candidates who come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds that have historically lacked equitable access to education, employment, and professional development opportunities[WS1] .
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Valid Driver's License or the ability to travel throughout King County in a timely manner may be required and will be discussed with the supervisor if so.
This position is not eligible for King County leave, holiday, insured, or other benefits. Please contact the recruiter on the posting for any additional questions regarding associated benefits.
01Please share how your personal narrative/lived experience has shaped your commitment to creating equity and opportunity through public service in government.02I have submitted a fully complete online application and attached a resume/CV and letter of interest.